How will Call of Duty do next-gen?

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I'm curious about this. I know that it's the hardcore gamers who buy systems at launch and a lot of us have either moved on from COD or play it just because our friends do but of all the games coming out on next-gen consoles that one seems to be the one of the least anticipated. Battlefield 4 seems to be the de facto shooter to buy at launch since it will have parity with the PC version. I don't know. what do you guys think?

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I only played the first 2 or 3 missions of Black Ops 2, but if they continue to mix a good story with good gameplay, I will buy it. Not at a 50-60$ price point, because I am only buying it for the single player. But I usually buy them when they are 20-30$

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

It will do well. Trust me.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@dagbiker: Here we find that mythical of all creatures. Believed for so long to be a figment of exaggerated claims, or one supposed of lies. But here he stands, tall and proud in his adopted habitat, the gaming forum.

And the creature I speak of is of course none other than the one who buys COD games for their storytelling. It sounds preposterous, but such creatures do in fact exist.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm sure it'll still do well for a while at least but I feel that the release of a new generation could be the first actual point where they could see a decline (although Ghost will do well I wouldn't expect to see any for a decline until either the 1st Teryach game or ghost 2). The start of a new Gen is usually a good time for the new stuff and some trends to come out and although I still play COD on occasion I have been sick of them for a while now. Am very interested in what they are doing with Titanfall and Destiny but only time will tell if they and others like them will take anything away from the COD MP market. Interesting times.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fredchuckdave

It will do well until something even more boring and repetitive can replace it; though even Halo wasn't even remotely close to the market titan that CoD is. It's also a pretty damn good recruitment tool for the US military and thus even less likely to fall out of favor.

Edit: For some reason people are dumb enough to think the singleplayer is good, I can't imagine what happens when they play a non railshooter FPS.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

@fourwude: I don't really think that's so unreasonable at this point though. I've gotten my fill of CoD multiplayer over the years and have been only renting games since MW3 to fly through the campaign and dub around for a night or so with the MP.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Good for a couple a years until another military shooter takes over. People just can't get enough of their Duties.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Dagbiker

@fourwude said:

@dagbiker: Here we find that mythical of all creatures. Believed for so long to be a figment of exaggerated claims, or one supposed of lies. But here he stands, tall and proud in his adopted habitat, the gaming forum.

And the creature I speak of is of course none other than the one who buys COD games for their storytelling. It sounds preposterous, but such creatures do in fact exist.

Mind you, it was only the quicklook where Jeff talked about how the storyline splits, and is influenced by how you complete missions that got me.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Justin258

It's impossible to tell when, and if, Call of Duty will go away. Some people keep assuming that this insanely popular thing will stop being insanely popular soon enough, but then forget that things like World of Warcraft and Counter Strike have been played continuously for even longer than Call of Duty 4 has (and let's not kid ourselves, Black Ops 2 might have some tweaks and improvements and might be much faster paced, but it's still CoD4 again).

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will have more arm hair and a dog... trust me Call of duty fans will buy it.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Left trigger to aim, right trigger to shoot.

THRICE_604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By THRICE_604

It's impossible to tell when, and if, Call of Duty will go away. Some people keep assuming that this insanely popular thing will stop being insanely popular soon enough, but then forget that things like World of Warcraft and Counter Strike have been played continuously for even longer than Call of Duty 4 has (and let's not kid ourselves, Black Ops 2 might have some tweaks and improvements and might be much faster paced, but it's still CoD4 again).

But those tweaks and improvements do matter. Each installment might be incremental but they matter. BO2 is easily the best Call of Duty has been since CoD4. Maybe better because we are six years deep with rose colored glasses on CoD4. That multiplayer while standard setting at the time is incredibly basic. Tweaks here and there, a few new features, reining in some others, it all adds up. Hopefully Ghosts is as clean a slate as they've been saying. CoD doesn't have a bad formula its just in need of a second wind that hopefully new hardware can provide. Though making it available on every platform under the sun has me worried they won't be able to get too crazy with the PS4/X1 versions. I just don't see them taking the Battlefield route and retooling the maps and balancing to fit the console's capabilities. I expect Ghosts on next gen will just be prettier is all. Not with bigger maps and more players or more features.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No Caption Provided

Its supposed to have "destructible environments," where a flood can happen mid-match, and you have to get to higher ground. Or the ground can shift as part of the level, e.g. the skyscraper, is falling mid-air, so everyone gets tousled for a few feet as the level screeches 10 feet.

I imagine you can drop a powerline at some point, and edit the level so you can climb it, or drop it on someone.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can almost guarantee this franchise goes the same direction as Tony Hawk. People will eventually get bored of it, as they do with every franchise. Activision burns through shit as quickly as they physically can until the next thing comes along. These two factors will lead to the thousand-cuts death of releasing more COD games than people want to buy. Eventually one title won't do as well as the one before it and then the game after that will have a smaller budget, and won't sell as well and then the next after that has an even smaller budget until eventually they just retire the series like Guitar Hero or Tony Hawk.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By falserelic

Financial I'm sure Call Of Duty will work wonders, but as in it being innovated not so much. At this point Call Of Duty is just beyond redundant to me. Its basically been the same sense back when the first MW launched. Then again its understandable why the developers choose to play it safe, hell more money more power. Besides Call of Duty tends to bring the worst out of people.

Shit can just get serious sometimes man, real serious...Hell why so serious? who knows maybe Satan helped produce COD.

Loading Video...

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mikey87144

I don't want this to turn into a COD hate thread. The game is what it is at this point and if millions of people are buying it then why would they change it drastically? My point is that what was big 5 years ago won't necessarily be big now. This new generation just seems like an opportunity for some devs to realize the visions of some of their games. Battlefield I really think will do better since it will have COD's basic features with the extra sauce of large player counts and fully destructible environments. Destiny looks like Activision's answer to COD fatigue and Titan Fall will be marketed to shit as "The guys who made the game you obsess over now bring you this."

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@believer258 said:

But those tweaks and improvements do matter. Each installment might be incremental but they matter. BO2 is easily the best Call of Duty has been since CoD4. Maybe better because we are six years deep with rose colored glasses on CoD4. That multiplayer while standard setting at the time is incredibly basic. Tweaks here and there, a few new features, reining in some others, it all adds up. Hopefully Ghosts is as clean a slate as they've been saying. CoD doesn't have a bad formula its just in need of a second wind that hopefully new hardware can provide. Though making it available on every platform under the sun has me worried they won't be able to get too crazy with the PS4/X1 versions. I just don't see them taking the Battlefield route and retooling the maps and balancing to fit the console's capabilities. I expect Ghosts on next gen will just be prettier is all. Not with bigger maps and more players or more features.

I did say that they matter. They've made Black Ops 2 a better game, but it's still pretty much the same game that Call of Duty 4 was. Counter Strike Global Offensive is an improvement on Counter Strike Source but it's still the same game, pretty much.

Blastroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think the next COD will be just as big as the last. For me COD is fun, maybe because I own instead of getting owned most games. I buy the map packs to keep the game fresher. When a new COD comes out it is like a bonus map pack with new guns and technology. Others expect the game to change the formula and become something much different each time.

The simple game formula:

• Guns
  • Maps
  • Game types
  • Layouts (Perks, gun attachments, secondary, ...

The single player helps those who have not played a FPS in awhile get used to the controls again and has some nice eye candy.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It'll still sell big, it'll probably even be a top 10 seller at the end of each year, but it won't be as big as in the past. The gaming press won't talk about it as much either. It'll be a known constant. Not much will change about it, certainly not anything meaningful. Those who want the next hit will light up, those who grow tired of it will move on.