How will this game handle the addiction aspect?

NegativeCreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NegativeCreep

(Spoiler tag is acting screwy. Just saying)

I've had friends who quickly became hardcore drug addicts/alcoholics. I've seen first hand the damage that drugs can do to people and I'm very happy that Heavy Rain is tackling an real issue that affects the lives of so many people.

Norman Jayden is a talented, young FBI agent. Unfortunately he's also addicted to a drug called Triptocaine and is suffering from obvious withdrawal symptoms which are affecting his performance, judgment and even his life. What I'm curious about if Jayden's addiction can spiral downward due to the choices the player makes. If it's just relegated to a few QTE's and dialogue choices, it'd really do the game a disservice.

What I'm really interested is if Norman can actually OD on the stuff and die.

NegativeCreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By NegativeCreep

Wrong board. My bad

Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Spike94

My guess is he can. 
The devs said a character could get killed off from what sounds like whenever/at any time. You can always load a save, but the devs encourage you to stick to the choices you make.
LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By LaszloKovacs
@NegativeCreep: 
 There's a bug pushing some game-specific posts out to general discussion, that might be it.

As for the game, I would think that it's possible - Quantic has said that characters can die due to player choices without halting the story, and it seems like they're really taking the "mature" theme pretty seriously. I'd at least hope it's an option, since there really aren't many games that address this in more than a cursory way.
NegativeCreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NegativeCreep

After playing the demo, I have faith that the writers at Quantic are smart enough to convey a real mature storyline. I'm most interested in Jayden's story, part because those ARI glasses are just so damn cool.

What the hell is the stuff he's taking anyway? I've seen Xanax fiends get the same kind of hand tremors that Jayden's got.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Questionable

Well not taking drugs will negatively affect QTE so it only makes sense that taking them is also a double edged sword 

Going so far as ODing is a pretty specific game event considering its pretty hard to do this by accident so very unlikely unless it happens under extreme conditions.
From a gameplay perspective it would make sense for people to eventually find out your drug abuse from your behavior making you lose important contacts  
- Edit: i believe recalling in a article you can die from mixing alcohol with drug abuse, consider being stupid one of these extreme conditions :)

I'm still waiting to see how much of the heavy rain freedom is hot air, complete freedom is impossible by design 
In indigo prophecy for example you could completely change around how a "scene" played out but the total picture was completely linear only altering the fine details within a predetermined route.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By armaan8014

Want heavy rain for the PC :(