Humanity in Dark Souls

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I notice in my inventory that there is an item, that I have "3" nearing the start, called "Humanity". Should I use the items? Also, what can they do?

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By notdavid

Those will give you humanity, represented by the number to the left of your life gauge. You can spend it to reverse hollow, and the more humanity you have, the better drops you get. You lose whatever humanity you have when you die, just like souls, except when they're in item form.

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@notdavid: Thanks!

Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Eaxis

When you are human, others in your lvl range can invade your game and vice versa.

Edit: I forgot to add that as a human you can also summon people to help you against bosses.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Turambar
@PainGod89 said:

I notice in my inventory that there is an item, that I have "3" nearing the start, called "Humanity". Should I use the items? Also, what can they do?

Those are itemized humanity, and upon use, gives you one humanity as well as serving as an estus flask use.  Humanity itself increases your item find counter, making drops more likely, not better.  Your base item find is 100 when in hollow form and 300 (?) when in human form and humanity increase it at a rate of 5 per point.  Further, humanity is used in the rekindling of bonfires, as well as buffing up the Chaos Fury Sword as well as Chaos pyromancy, both of which tops out at 10 humanity iirc.
Ashuramaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ashuramaru

Haven't played it in a while but I'm pretty sure reversing hollow boosts resistances and stamina recovery or something. that last part was probably wrong.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mosespippy

@Turambar said:

@PainGod89 said:

Those are itemized humanity, and upon use, gives you one humanity as well as serving as an estus flask use. Humanity itself increases your item find counter, making drops more likely, not better. Your base item find is 100 when in hollow form and 300 (?) when in human form and humanity increase it at a rate of 5 per point. Further, humanity is used in the rekindling of bonfires, as well as buffing up the Chaos Fury Sword as well as Chaos pyromancy, both of which tops out at 10 humanity iirc.

I'm not sure that being human has an effect on item find; it's just the humanity number that does. Base is 100 and having 1 humanity raises it to 150. After that the increase is 7 or 8 for each humanity up to 10 humanity. Maybe it was changed in one of the updates. 300 item find is from wearing the gold serpent ring which has a +200 to item find. So a maximum item find stat is 410.

I would suggest that early in the game you use your humanity to kindle fires. Doing that will make the bonfire give you 10 flasks instead of 5. The firelink shrine bonfire already does this because it has a fire keeper. Later in the game you can kindle further to make bonfires give you 20 flasks. There are also some covenants that allow you to rank up by giving them humanity. They have some benefits like a shortcut to one of the final bosses.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Canteu

As per the above advice, being human increases your Curse resistance, and increases further with more humanity.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#9  Edited By jacksukeru

You can farm Humanity by killing rats, they're plentiful in the Depths. You should wait until after you've found the Gold Serpent ring though, so that your Item Discovery is high, otherwise it will get very, VERY tedious.