I can tell the future!

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Edited By demontium

Or at least I can try; I am gonna answer a question my badass friend asked me, that being "what will video games be in the near future?" 

Well, here's my thoughts:  

Most home consoles are going to be striving for a solid framerate to run HD 3D. The resolution won't change much since 1080p is about where the human eye can make a distinction. Handhelds are going to be much more focused on digital distribution, but hopefully will still accept cartridges. Devices like the iPhone are going to start paying more mega 3rd parties like EA to make games for them. Nintendo is going to do something totally different than 3D with their next console at least 2 generations ahead. The focus will be off shooters, and more on experiences that will sell to broader audiences. Motion Controls will be all up in your face. 

Yeah, it actually doesn't sound that amazing. In fact, I don't really like the idea of motion controls becoming a standard. Controllers are already a perfect gateway to connecting the player's actions to the game. But it's rather inevitable that the market is going to not cater as much to "us" as much as 'them." This media is growing, and we're gonna see more 'Stephenie Meyers, Kanye Wests, and Michael Bays'  trying to make a buck in this industry. 

3D is going to be an unstoppable force. Some are gonna jump the gun like Sony and use glasses (which is gonna limit the 3D capabilities or force you to buy better glasses when they upgrade), and some are gonna do it right like Nintendo. Either way it will be kinda annoying when a flood of motion controled + 3D cash-ins release multi-plat (like attack of the movies 3D). Expect a lot of this. 

God damnit.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By demontium

Or at least I can try; I am gonna answer a question my badass friend asked me, that being "what will video games be in the near future?" 

Well, here's my thoughts:  

Most home consoles are going to be striving for a solid framerate to run HD 3D. The resolution won't change much since 1080p is about where the human eye can make a distinction. Handhelds are going to be much more focused on digital distribution, but hopefully will still accept cartridges. Devices like the iPhone are going to start paying more mega 3rd parties like EA to make games for them. Nintendo is going to do something totally different than 3D with their next console at least 2 generations ahead. The focus will be off shooters, and more on experiences that will sell to broader audiences. Motion Controls will be all up in your face. 

Yeah, it actually doesn't sound that amazing. In fact, I don't really like the idea of motion controls becoming a standard. Controllers are already a perfect gateway to connecting the player's actions to the game. But it's rather inevitable that the market is going to not cater as much to "us" as much as 'them." This media is growing, and we're gonna see more 'Stephenie Meyers, Kanye Wests, and Michael Bays'  trying to make a buck in this industry. 

3D is going to be an unstoppable force. Some are gonna jump the gun like Sony and use glasses (which is gonna limit the 3D capabilities or force you to buy better glasses when they upgrade), and some are gonna do it right like Nintendo. Either way it will be kinda annoying when a flood of motion controled + 3D cash-ins release multi-plat (like attack of the movies 3D). Expect a lot of this. 

God damnit.

Zafmg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Zafmg

hardware side slowing down a bit as the Big Mans with their hardcore userbase take a serious look at the Wii and bite their lower lips and think "gosh, i want some of that" looking at the casual userbase.

consumer-level 3D will never be full supported. it's a silly trend that died in the 90s and then the corpse was dug out of the grave and propped up in front of the kids in the mall when Avatar came out. there will be a few games that support it but will never see true widespread adoption.

plus on the flip i wouldn't be surprised if all the console makers are taking a very long look at developing economies like China and thinking about how they can get a big slice of that pie too in the near future. a landgrab for brand loyalty!

Senile_Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Senile_Kyle
@demontium:
You're prolly right, too bad 3d sucks.
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By demontium
@Senile_Kyle said:
" @demontium: You're prolly right, too bad 3d sucks. "
Its sucked so far. Who knows.
Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Lemoncookie01

If all of this is true then....

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Three0neFive
@demontium said:
" Most home consoles are going to be striving for a solid framerate to run HD 3D. The resolution won't change much since 1080p is about where the human eye can make a distinction."
... You realize the current gen consoles can't even run most games in 720p with a stable framerate/above 30fps, right? As much as I'l like to see it, I doubt we'll see mandatory 1080p next gen, let alone 1080p with 3D.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude

3D? Hell, I'm still waiting to go HD.

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By borgmaster

The current 3D fad will probably die out in the next couple of years...But only to be permanently revived when they're able to make cheap glasses-less 3D! OH NOES! Eyestrain!

As for framerate/resolution/motion controls: the next couple of generations will perfect the motion controls; make the framerates at high resolutions more stable, but not perfectly so; general processing power and memory will improve by leaps and bounds; and casual gaming will gradually erode all that we hold dear, with the PC bearing the brunt of it with that browser-based garbage.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By ch13696

3D will be dumped for things like DLC. Even though people claim that Apple started the whole revolution of apps, that is not true at all. All an app is is just software that you download and install. Hence the name DLC (downloadable content). Console makers will be bringing out more and more consoles that bring up the amount of HDD space you have. I predict that by the end of 2012 we will have 2 TB HDD's in the PS3 and Xbox 360, with most of their library being downloadable. Nintendo will announce another system (not named the Wii HD) which will have less HDD space and will have HD.  

3D will not be moving forward for televisions due to the fact that people won't have enough glasses to support the whole family. Although the 3DS will be a big hit because it's a handheld meant for one person and the 3D only works for one person. Games such as Metal Gear Solid 3 and Kid Icarus will also sell the system to the hardcore gamers. Therefore Nintendo will continue to be the number one handheld company in the world. While the Sony (maybe they'll call it the PSP2) will still sell a lot in mainly Asia.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By demontium
@Three0neFive said:
" @demontium said:
" Most home consoles are going to be striving for a solid framerate to run HD 3D. The resolution won't change much since 1080p is about where the human eye can make a distinction."
... You realize the current gen consoles can't even run most games in 720p with a stable framerate/above 30fps, right? As much as I'l like to see it, I doubt we'll see mandatory 1080p next gen, let alone 1080p with 3D. "
You also realize thats technology from 2006. And the PS3 has specific discs and processors that are immensly difficult to work with. And the Wii is capped at 480p. 

Furthermore, RAM (and many other processors) are much cheaper.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By KaosAngel

What colour shirt will I wear tomorrow? 

On topic, we shall see...we shall see.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By demontium
@KaosAngel said:
" What colour shirt will I wear tomorrow?  On topic, we shall see...we shall see. "
You... make no sense.