I cannot not comprehend this design choice

Truant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Truant19

Im not sure if its like this on 360 (i think it is) but why oh why on the ps3 do developers make the voice chat an open chat...

I figured for games like MW, WAW, MW2 it was the fact that the 360 version was the main sku they just didnt care. But then uncharted 2, killzone 2, and now even red dead redemption.

Red dead, brand new game, the developers second title on the platform, large focus on MP, and still it sounds like GARBAGE. Developers had this figured out on the ps2... whats up with the step backwards? I seriously want to know. If I ever go to GDC or E3 and get to meet naughty dog or infinity ward, that's the first question im asking them.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By schizogony

In the PS2/Xbox days, more bandwidth was allotted for voice chat because the games themselves didn't require as much as games these days do. So for current consoles, less bandwidth is reserved for voice chat, which is why it sounds crappy.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Kazona

Double negative makes a positive. So you can understand why they do it!

Couldn't resist. Don't kill me. 

Anyway, like schozogony said, it probably has to do with bandwith, but also with the quality of a lot of the headsets people use on the PS3. Most of the bluetooth headsets are absolute garbage. I think Sony made an official headset (for SOCOM I believe), which, as far as I know, is the only good quality headset for the PS3. Most people don't have it, however.

Truant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Truant19

even with good quality head sets it still sounds terrible.