#1 Posted by Paul_Tillich (178 posts) -

I live one block away from where over 1000 state and federal officials are staged and looking for the second Boston Marathon bombing suspect and the other was killed overnight. Nobody can enter or leave the area. Nobody can go outside their homes, and all businesses are closed. Cell service is overloaded and crashing at times. I will go nuts if I just watch the news all day and Facebook has turned into all news. But I like video games and Giant Bomb.

So... hey everyone. What's new? Have some suggestions about good games to download on Steam since I'm now on a weekend of indeterminate length? Anything else random that can serve as a distraction? What's your favorite color?

#2 Edited by Kerned (1170 posts) -

Stay safe over there.

In the meantime, read through this Star Trek blog devoted to critiquing the fashion choices of the show. Surprisingly hilarious.

#3 Posted by Nictel (2429 posts) -

Azure green is my favorite color! As for games I would go on some massive RPG quest like Skyrim right now I think.

Be strong, can't imagine how it is being there right now..

#4 Posted by ajamafalous (12033 posts) -

I like black and purple!

Maybe try out Warframe? It's a co-op third person shooter that's kinda structured like PSO I've been playing it nearly constantly for the past two weeks.

#5 Edited by believer258 (11987 posts) -

Go grab some new mods for your favorite Bethesda RPG and start a new character.

#6 Edited by Brodehouse (10072 posts) -

They should make a wrestling game that's merely about hitting your spots and cutting promos and arguing with management about your character direction. The only way to jump from the midcard to the marquee is to do a face/heel turn!

#7 Posted by Paul_Tillich (178 posts) -

@nictel: Azure green is pretty good, but I prefer a slightly darker green.

#8 Edited by Paul_Tillich (178 posts) -

@brodehouse: So turn VGCW into its own game? Regardless, I think I am going to watch some of that nonsense since I never got around to it.

#9 Posted by ikabubu (213 posts) -

Discover some new music. Last.fm seems to do me a good job of suggesting similar artists.

Try out some o' them indie games. Browse some old Worth Readings.

Sign up for Netflix or something. At least try a month, I keep it around for Futurama, IT Crowd, and Breaking Bad.

Revisit some of your old games, if you got 'em. Go on a trip down memory lane. Vagrant Story for me.

Try something different. Maybe see if you can cook something with what you've got. Pick up a paper and pencil, see if you can improve your drawing skills.

Take a nap once in a while. Cash-in on some of that sleep debt. Why not?

Plan what you're gonna do when you get back out. Seriously, this can be fun. "I'M FREE BITCHESSSS!!!" Maybe some lasagna is in order. Or maybe you should just make some time to sit on a park bench, in quiet dusk, slowly gazing at your surroundings. Arrange a meet up with your local homies who were locked up too, maybe?

Dig up one of those things that you meant to get around to, but you haven't. Like that book, move, game that you bought, because you thought it sounded really cool at the time but forgot because of life's distractions. We've all got some of those, right?

If you're a guy, see how far your beard can grow.

Get some cleaning done. Word.

Wouldn't suggest drinking. There're probably better ways to savor your time off.

Do something ridiculous in the privacy of your own home. Like wearing a clean pair of underpants on my head while I went along with my business.

Improve your words-per-minute. There are a TON of typing tests out there on the internets. Might I suggest Z-Type?

That's about all the not-so-directly-related-to-games activities I could muster for now. Hope you manage to enjoy your extended weekend, even if it is going to take some effort.

#10 Posted by Chibithor (574 posts) -

You could try out the Guild Wars 2 free weekend that's going on. As an MMO it's an easy way to kill time if you get into it.

#11 Edited by Benny (1953 posts) -
#12 Posted by stryker1121 (1524 posts) -
#13 Posted by casper_ (907 posts) -

im under lockdown as well. i think sleep is probably the best option.

#14 Posted by Paul_Tillich (178 posts) -

I got a free weekend key. So I guess I'll find out what Guild Wars 2 is like.

#15 Edited by rotorious (72 posts) -

Best advice: Turn off the TV.

#16 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2695 posts) -

Also locked in, although I have been all week anyway since I live within the initial crime scene (Boylston St). Mostly just working from home.

#17 Posted by Nux (2383 posts) -

@paul_tillich: Guild Wars 2 is pretty cool. Once you get into it you will find that the time will fly by. It's a good time eater.

#18 Edited by Paul_Tillich (178 posts) -

@ikabubu: Thanks for the good suggestions. I am strangely loving z-type at the moment.

#19 Posted by Inkerman (1452 posts) -

You could watch The Siege.

#20 Posted by BBAlpert (1526 posts) -

@brodehouse: So turn VGCW into its own game? Regardless, I think I am going to watch some of that nonsense since I never got around to it.

If you're going to watch some VGCW, watch the playlists uploaded by YouTube user VGCWClem. He's got the episodes as far back as mid-season 2 (season 4 just started the other night, but each season is a few episodes), all organized into playlists, with the chat recorded. I feel like you'd be missing out on a lot of what makes VGCW so compelling if you watched without seeing the chat go completely bananas every time something happens.

#21 Edited by EarlessShrimp (1660 posts) -

Most of my coworkers are stuck in lockdown, so I'm covering for them today. gotta love them 9 and a half hour work days! But, it seems like it might be over by lunch time. Who knows?

#22 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5799 posts) -

Hope you stay safe, maybe you should try to catch up on a show you've meant to watch. That certainly passes the time.

I'd also recommend watching old Giant Bomb content. I recently discovered the magic that is the Whiskey Media Happy Hour.

Also, here's the Unarchived Retro Gaming Marathon. Hope this helps pass the time. Sorry if you've already seen them, but most of GB's content is worth watching more than once.

#23 Edited by TheHT (11513 posts) -

Loop this and place some DOTA 2.

#24 Edited by GorillaMoPena (2215 posts) -

Also under lockdown (Although I'm not really that close to downtown). Going to catch up on some podcasts, likely will make a drink in a bit.

At least most Dunkin Donuts are open for some reason?

#25 Posted by Lausebub (273 posts) -

Stay safe! These situations are perfect for TV show marathons. Maybe you want to rewatch the old Arrested Development episodes before the 4th season airs?

#26 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

It's probably not a great idea to put the words "Boston" and "Giant Bomb" in the same post as the last thing you'll want is some FBI knocking in your door demanding to know where you've stashed the fertiliser.

Apart from that I guess you could count the Frosties in the bowl.

#27 Posted by Reisz (1517 posts) -

Take care over there, Shitty situation for sure. Guild Wars 2 is having a free weekend starting today, might be a good time to check that out, don't forget Unprofessional Fridays will start in just a bit, that's a light hearted way to spend a couple of hours.

#28 Edited by iam3green (14390 posts) -

go watch something on tv, play video games, instead of hearing about boston news. it's just terrible stuff there.

#29 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Geez. Whole city shut down to find one teenager. :(

If you're short on entertainment, head on over to speedrunslive.com. It's a wide variety of people speed running games on live stream every day all day all the time.

#30 Posted by Paul_Tillich (178 posts) -

The situation seemed like it was going to end, did not, was dormant, and has just escalated as much as possible. But I really appreciate all your answers. I discovered some cool stuff I did not know existed. Keep it coming, as it is as frightening now as ever. Thanks...

#31 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

*virtual hugs from Canada to Paul and all MA area peoples*

#32 Posted by Paul_Tillich (178 posts) -

@herbiebug: Thanks! Your speed run link is one of the crazy things I found today. And I don't care if it is corny. Thanks for your virtual hugs, and many back to you.

#33 Edited by ThePickle (4186 posts) -

NFL schedule for 2013 got released if you're into that sort of thing.

http://www.nfl.com/schedules

I guess Boston people have some sort of silver lining in that they get to play the Bills week 1.

#34 Posted by Paul_Tillich (178 posts) -

@thepickle: Thanks for reminding me about sports. I'm actually a Packers fan (Bruins, Red Sox, and screw the NBA otherwise) but national sports talk could be a nice diversion since all the local sports stations have become news since nobody can get into their stations.

#35 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5146 posts) -

Have you tried Dota?

Stay safe.

#36 Posted by Paul_Tillich (178 posts) -

They got him. Holy shit. Goodnight.

#37 Posted by RetroVirus (1479 posts) -

Hell yeah Packers! Glad your safe duder.