Idle Thumbs say Ken Levine is a drunk?

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

<p>In the April 10th episode of Idle Thumbs podcast there was a weird moment. During their buoshock infinite discussion, a member days this game seems like Columbia was a product of a self loathing drunkard, and then after a pause saying Booker is who he meant.. Now, I initially thought they were talking about the game, but with the awkward laughter, and the way people urged the conversation to continue differently (with Idle Thumb members being previous Irrational workers) it made me think they were talking about Ken Levine. Further cemented by the fact that an idle thumbs host favorited a tweet saying "self loathing, drunk...uhhh booker!...good save, man," I think there's something to this. I know people have demons or whatever, but with the veracity that Idle Thumbs trashed this game, and seemingly outed its creator, is Ken Levine that much of an asshole?</p>

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I listened to it, as well. Pretty sure it was all jokes, dude.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think they were worried people would think they were referring to Levine but not because he's actually a drunk they just dont wanna be perceived as slandering the man to that extent

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GreggD

I think they were worried people would think they were referring to Levine but not because he's actually a drunk they just dont wanna be perceived as slandering the man to that extent

Also, this.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if he's a drunk then he's a functioning one, so let the man live his life. he's clearly not being negatively effected by it professionally. personally? well thats not my concern so i dont care.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Does Diet Coke have alcohol in it?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I don't have any inside info, but isn't Ken Levine known for being controlling? Through interviews with him he's given the idea that because he is committed to his personal vision he not afraid to cut (others) work if he thinks it doesn't fit. That could easily create a lot of angry former employees, regardless of the results his method creates.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I wish i was a drunk like him then.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#9  Edited By donutfever
Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Justin258

People keep forgetting that he took five years to make a game. If he is a drunk then that might be an explanation for such a long development cycle.

However, Bioshock Infinite does not come across as the work of a man who stumbles into the office occasionally and gives a few slurred orders, and he seems like a pretty sober fellow in interviews and stuff. I really doubt that Ken Levine is a drunk.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I can only wish to be half the drunk he is.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

No, they were jokin around, jeez. Have you ever listened to the show before? Chris would never talk straight shit about someone he worked with, they're nice guys.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#13 gamer_152  Moderator

I haven't heard that episode, but Idle Thumbs are pretty light-hearted guys who joke around a lot, it doesn't sound like them to say something like this in a serious context. Are you really sure they weren't joking?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If he's able to do all that he does while being a raging alcoholic, I might just have to start drinking alcohol again.

http://www.grillwilson.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Talkin_and_Talkin_Small.gif

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can be a functional alcoholic, as long as the degree of alcohol intake is more clinical/societies perceptions, than a wake up and start slugging a quart down. Do 6- 8 beers a night, you are a stone cold alkie, though one may still wake up most every morning raring to put another 14-16 hours into Bioshock Infinite. If alcohol consumption was so absolutely debilitating, western culture(from the time beer was brewed at least) would have never arisen. And hard alcohol, yeah that was pretty evil and significant, but still the Industrial revolution rolled on.

Being into alcohol is nothing to be proud of, and yet seems to be ground into our western historical fabric. Beer, wine, and finally spirits, thank gawd there are other things..or nothing at all, to give balance.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Diet Coke have alcohol in it?

Mine does.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Evilsbane

If he has to get wasted to write such awesome stuff then chug it! But nah sounds like jokes.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By I_smell

Although he does record the circus of value lines while completely fucking wasted, that's a well-known fact. It's not supposed to be a clown-voice, that's just how he sounds.

EDIT-- Listening now. They're talking about THE ENDING, and summarising the plot, and Sean (who has never worked at Irrational, he wrote The Walking Dead at tellTale) says:

"I would like to say that I don't get it, but it seems like there's not a lot to GET, other than a load of crazy plot noise"

"It feels like one man's self-loathing just created an entire city in the sky... that then deleted itself. That seems to be the story, right?"

"Booker, I mean."

So thanks for makin a fuckin' Kotaku headline out o that

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If he has to get wasted to write such awesome stuff then chug it! But nah sounds like jokes.

You know, a lot of great authors have been known for their alcoholism; so, hey, that could work...

Though, yeah, sounds like jokes. Or just a reference to Levine's earlier comments about how they made the game accessible to "psychopathic" and "alcoholic" players. ha.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I wish i was a drunk like him then.

Exactly what i thought when i saw the title from the o.p.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's the video game industry. Everyone's a fuckin' drunk. It mind as well be a collection of aging ex-cops.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By zaccheus

Also the pause between the comment and the clarification was exactly 666 millisecond which I think is a clear indication that the Idle Thumbs are all devil worshipers and my friends friend told me that her friend played episode 66 backwards once and drunk Ken Levine came to her in an holographic form and told a story about his fishing trip with the ghost of Epicurus who was a pretty nice dude but a pretty bad fisher and a huge believer in chemtrails. I don't want to read into anything but isn't that pretty amazing?

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I wish he was. He could become so much better.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Dude makes a damn good game. If he is a drunk, he's a functioning alcoholic, and as everyone knows there's nothing wrong with that.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CaLe

The Metacritic would have been a 98 if Ken wasn't a raging alcoholic. Such a shame.

Ratinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People keep forgetting that he took five years to make a game. If he is a drunk then that might be an explanation for such a long development cycle.

Excellent point this. Want to make sure people don't miss this gem.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I was really tired when I made this thread. Been up for 24 hours doing school work. Went back and listened again, sounds like they're joking. Sorry guys!

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i didnt know thumbs could talk

donfonzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By donfonzie

i didnt know thumbs could talk

Apparently idle ones can.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

the real question is why would anyone listen to Idle Thumbs?

I mean really. It's shite.