If Atlus made persona but set in america?

• 112 results
Avatar image for christopherson329
christopherson329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

If Atlus made a seperate persona game that was set in america do you think it would be more or less popular ?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

For some reason, I feel this is relevant.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@christopherson329 said:

If Atlus made a seperate persona game that was set in america do you think it would be more or less popular ?

I think more people would give it a chance. Right now its fanbase consists of otaku and weeaboos. It's a shame, too, considering that there are some thoughtful and interesting mechanics to be found in it. The social aspect is something that very few games ever nail, for instance.

I don't think an American/western version of Persona will ever happen, though. I don't think Atlus or anyone else has the inclination or the desire to make a western high school simulator RPG.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It depends. Do the presonas have american names? If so then that game would be pretty awful.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

It'd be like every other persona, highschool bullshit drama, everyones wearing tight jeans and complains about middling pointless highschool problems. This time they'd jump into the internet instead of TV's. SPOOOKY! They'd give you a little sister who's pointless but is super cute and has no personality aside from being really cute, basically michelle from full house (but less creepy) and then have her get kidnapped to pull at your heartstrings in a really cheap way.

So really, it'd be kinda lame but everyone would love it anyways.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

That would be the worst. The Japanese high-schooler vibe is the reason these games are so appealing to me. Atlus could maybe make it work, but I really don't see why they would even try. Western high school is so boring when compared to Japanese high school.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

@christopherson329 said:

I think more people would give it a chance. Right now its fanbase consists of otaku and weeaboos. It's a shame, too, considering that there are some thoughtful and interesting mechanics to be found in it. The social aspect is something that very few games ever nail, for instance.

I don't think an American/western version of Persona will ever happen, though. I don't think Atlus or anyone else has the inclination or the desire to make a western high school simulator RPG.

Actually, the original Persona was heavily edited in its original North American release on the PlayStation so that it was set in America. But in order for it to "make sense for western audience" the localizers actually stripped out about half the game and had one character completely redesigned as an African American.

Also, weeaboos? Really? Get that nonsense bullshit 4chan word out of here.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By bigjeffrey

"Aha is this our chance" would be lost in time

Wraith1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Wraith1

It woudn't work, the Persona team has never experienced what high school life is like in America and yeah I'm guessing there's a difference between American and Japanese kid's high school lives

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bigjeffrey

@wraith1 said:

It woudn't work, the Persona team has never experienced what high school life is like in America and yeah I'm guessing there's a difference between American and Japanese kid's high school lives

They have TVs that japanese high school kids can go into and fight monsters in Japan? FUCKKKKKK my High School SUCKED

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Actually, the original Persona was heavily edited in its original North American release on the PlayStation so that it was set in America. But in order for it to "make sense for western audience" the localizers actually stripped out about half the game and had one character completely redesigned as an African American.

Sshhh. There is no reason to be upset. Gaijin who are obsessed with Japan, Japanese culture, and Japanese animation are called weeaboos. If you've got a better word for it, I'm listening.

As for your point about the first Persona, I didn't know Persona even existed until I heard about a game where high schoolers shot themselves in the head to make monsters. It was a radically Metal idea. I liked it, and I'm sure a lot of people would if they knew it existed. Atlus has never been good with raising awareness about their games over here. That is much to their detriment, I think.

Anyway, the question posed in the OP asked if Persona stood a better chance here if they made a western version of Persona for western audiences. I think they could, and I'd certainly be one of many who'd be interested in playing it, but the odds of it happening are slim to none.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Fox and Funky Student would actually be drug dealers.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

Get Obsidian to make it!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Sshhh. There is no reason to be upset. Gaijin who are obsessed with Japan, Japanese culture, and Japanese animation are called weeaboos. If you've got a better word for it, I'm listening.

As for your point about the first Persona, I didn't know Persona even existed until I heard about a game where high schoolers shot themselves in the head to make monsters. It was a radically Metal idea. I liked it, and I'm sure a lot of people would if they knew it existed. Atlus has never been good with raising awareness about their games over here. That is much to their detriment, I think.

Anyway, the question posed in the OP asked if Persona stood a better chance here if they made a western version of Persona for western audiences. I think they could, and I'd certainly be one of many who'd be interested in playing it, but the odds of it happening are slim to none.

They're called Japanophiles. Says everything right in the name without reducing the notion of someone fascinated by another culture into some cartoonish idiocy. They exist for other cultures, too. Francophiles (French), Anglophiles (English), the list goes on.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Animasta

@oldirtybearon: weeaboo just comes from a perry bible fellowship cartoon, the connotation of it being a word for japanophiles is something I will never be able to get

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also the Soundtrack would be full of bullshit western music. Part of the reason i love these games is the score.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also the Soundtrack would be full of bullshit western music. Part of the reason i love these games is the score.

bullshit western music?

What does that even mean?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also if you want a great portrayal of American school life written by a Japanese person go read Grisaia

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mandude

I would be less inclined to buy it. In fact, when I think about this deeply, I don't think I would want to play it at all.

@animasta: Did it actually come from that comic first or was it just a coincidence? I remember trying to find its significance there, but I couldn't come up with anything.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Make it a Japanese high school set in America and you've got a deal.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

They're called Japanophiles. Says everything right in the name without reducing the notion of someone fascinated by another culture into some cartoonish idiocy. They exist for other cultures, too. Francophiles (French), Anglophiles (English), the list goes on.

Sounds like I touched a nerve with you. Japanophile doesn't sound nearly as fun as weeaboo though. Just say it out loud and tell me you don't smile.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bigjeffrey

@animasta said:

@bigjeffrey said:

bullshit western music?

Persona in america would be a western.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Sounds like I touched a nerve with you. Japanophile doesn't sound nearly as fun as weeaboo though. Just say it out loud and tell me you don't smile.

It's actually insulting and is used by people like you to demean others.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it would be neat to have some exchanged student in the next game. Wasn't Lisa Silverman that? Never played Persona 2.

I like the japanese setting though. I've always liked the idea of maybe having people older than teenagers in the party. Why not?

@nux said:

It depends. Do the presonas have american names? If so then that game would be pretty awful.

What do you mean American names? Do you mean the personas would all be big foot, jersey devil, chupacabra, instead of the Greek, Roman, Japanese, and Christian religious figures?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@bigjeffrey said:

bullshit western music?

like how would it be bullshit? Why would Meguro change his style so drastically that it would be worse? It's not like they've never used american styles of music before (the ending theme of persona 2: innocent sin was an american singer).

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know about the rest of you folk, but High School was pretty cool. Senior Year? Pretty niiiiiiiice. As long as ATLUS does a little homework and makes things interesting, I'd be down.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@hailinel said:

what do you mean by "people like me"?

And you didn't answer me. Did you say weeaboo out loud and smile or not? It's a fun word. Give it a try. Levity is one of the better spices in life.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

I have to agree with Haily here. Some words are more often used as terms of derision than simply description, and while even "Japanophile" can have negative connotations, "weeaboo" is primarily used in a derogatory way. Japanophile is a descriptor, while weeaboo is a term of mockery.

It has been used insultingly toward many people, and I imagine some on here have had it used against them, as well. So, even if you're partial to it because it sounds funny, I hope you'll think of others here and consider using the more neutral "Japanophile" term. :)

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would have more sex, drugs, booze and gang fights?

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many more characters would be twerking it and the people would be slowly dying from corn syrup miasma.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hailinel

@hailinel said:

what do you mean by "people like me"?

And you didn't answer me. Did you say weeaboo out loud and smile or not? It's a fun word. Give it a try. Levity is one of the better spices in life.

I mean you use it without thinking of how it's used to demean others. Unless you're using it intentionally to demean others, in which case you're just an asshole.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

I mean you use it without thinking of how it's used to demean others. Unless you're using it intentionally to demean others, in which case you're just an asshole.

You find a word offensive so I should stop saying it? It's okay to be offended, but being offended doesn't give you the right to dictate how I should speak.

I'm sorry if you find it insulting. I can't imagine being so insecure in your likes and dislikes that a little, funny word like weeaboo causes such great distress. Must be hard for you.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bigjeffrey

@animasta said:

@bigjeffrey said:

@animasta said:

@bigjeffrey said:

bullshit western music?

like how would it be bullshit? Why would Meguro change his style so drastically that it would be worse? It's not like they've never used american styles of music before (the ending theme of persona 2: innocent sin was an american singer).

Im Sorry, even I have no clue what i said. Please ignore my comment and have a nice day.

@flappy said:

I don't know about the rest of you folk, but High School was pretty cool. Senior Year? Pretty niiiiiiiice. As long as ATLUS does a little homework and makes things interesting, I'd be down.

NOPE

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@bigjeffrey said:

@animasta said:

@bigjeffrey said:

bullshit western music?

Persona 3's sound track was prominently that weird but really cool Jazz rap. Neither genre I would consider japanese, and both i would consider very western. The lyrics and singing though were pretty japanese and tied it all together.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Animasta

@nottle said:

@animasta said:

@bigjeffrey said:

@animasta said:

@bigjeffrey said:

bullshit western music?

Persona 3's sound track was prominently that weird but really cool Jazz rap. Neither genre I would consider japanese, and both i would consider very western. The lyrics and singing though were pretty japanese and tied it all together.

oh god lotus juice is the worst.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That reminds me: If this magical Persona game is set in America, what are the chances that it takes place in New York? It wouldn't be the most original setting, but there's a lot there for them to tinker with. Then again, if their research on Western culture consisted of watching The Wire half a dozen times, I'd happily take any urban setting.

Omar Little hunting people down with a shotgun and a Persona = Whoa.

saethir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a persona style game set in an american high school by an american team would be pretty rad. Hell, Get an RPG dev from every country to make one depicting their own crazy ass highschool / small town lives. (CD Project Red persona game anyone?)

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bocam

@hailinel said:

You find a word offensive so I should stop saying it? It's okay to be offended, but being offended doesn't give you the right to dictate how I should speak.

I'm sorry if you find it insulting. I can't imagine being so insecure in your likes and dislikes that a little, funny word like weeaboo causes such great distress. Must be hard for you.

Yeah just be proud in your like of things Japanese.

Like these guys
Like these guys

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flappy said:

That reminds me: If this magical Persona game is set in America, what are the chances that it takes place in New York? It wouldn't be the most original setting, but there's a lot there for them to tinker with. Then again, if their research on Western culture consisted of watching The Wire half a dozen times, I'd happily take any urban setting.

I'm thinking of Buffy, honestly, so small californian town.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

I don't find it greatly distressing. I find it obnoxious and a sign of ignorance and stupidity. Let me ask you this. If you walked into a crowd and started throwing the n-word around in casual conversation and someone took offense, would you knock it off or keep saying it to their face? No, I know that weeaboo isn't nearly as offensive, but the same principle applies. You don't consider the word offensive, but others do.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By Vonocourt

@animasta said:

@oldirtybearon: weeaboo just comes from a perry bible fellowship cartoon, the connotation of it being a word for japanophiles is something I will never be able to get

No Caption Provided

Same.

kinapuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Japanese take on the Saved by the bell-era Persona. That'd be fucking golden.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Nottle

@animasta said:

@nottle said:

@animasta said:

@bigjeffrey said:

@animasta said:

@bigjeffrey said:

bullshit western music?

oh god lotus juice is the worst.

"Gotta prove my skillz so get down

My lyrical dempsey roll about to smack down now

Gotta shoot to kill and shoot the skill

Don't you be afraid mans gotta go how it feels "

You mean the "best."

I think we can probably agree, the lyrics in EVERY Persona song suffers from Japanese people liking to speak english but not knowing how words or sentences flow making things pretty corny at times. I really like that though.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By bigjeffrey

@flappy said:

I'd play Gossip Girl feat. Personas, snotty rich upper class high school students would be the worst, Pre Ordered.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

That would be entirely too familiar and thus depressing.

But if they went with the average Japanese person's idea of life in the US, ie nonstop drive-by shootings, that could be rather entertaining.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

I don't find it greatly distressing. I find it obnoxious and a sign of ignorance and stupidity. Let me ask you this. If you walked into a crowd and started throwing the n-word around in casual conversation and someone took offense, would you knock it off or keep saying it to their face? No, I know that weeaboo isn't nearly as offensive, but the same principle applies. You don't consider the word offensive, but others do.

Comparing the distress you feel to the suffering of blacks who must face racial persecution is just insulting. That is offensive. The better analogy would be saying "fuck" in a public place like a mall. Other people may find it offensive that I use that language in public, but I'm not going to stop because they quietly judge me while heading to Stitches.

You obviously feel strong enough about the word weeaboo to start throwing a fit here. All I'm saying is that you should relax a little. Laugh a little. Enjoy life more. It's just a word that literally means nothing at all.

And seriously, comparing weeaboo to the "n-word" is just fucking tacky.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bigjeffrey

@video_game_king said:

Fox News on the Case

The thumbnail they would use to rally against Video Games

No Caption Provided

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

It might have more mass appeal, but it would be a fair bit less interesting.

@hailinel@oldirtybearon You guys sound like schoolchildren.

Alekss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'd be like every other persona, highschool bullshit drama, everyones wearing tight jeans and complains about middling pointless highschool problems. This time they'd jump into the internet instead of TV's. SPOOOKY! They'd give you a little sister who's pointless but is super cute and has no personality aside from being really cute, basically michelle from full house (but less creepy) and then have her get kidnapped to pull at your heartstrings in a really cheap way.

So really, it'd be kinda lame but everyone would love it anyways.

I think you are the lame one and you are faulted as a human being.