If Gamespot Were 100% Honest (Weird video with fake Jeff)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

So I check in with Channelawesome.com from time to time to watch the nostalgia critic, today I popped in and this caught my eye

So, what the fuck is this? I am confused. Is this an attempt at satire or humor? Why use Jeff's name?
Can someone explain this to me?

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

What is this shit?

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By brandondryrock

There is a lot of backlash against games media right now, so YouTubers are stepping up to grab that audience that may be put off my games media. Also, remember you can't be a popular YouTuber unless you are super cynical! To the cynical people, if a game gets a high score, the reviewer must have been paid for it, because all video games suck, even though they claim it is their favorite hobby.

It is just people complaining to complain.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not only was that not funny it was blatantly wrong over and over again. I'm very confused.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that was a woefully misinformed piece of content.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a lot of backlash against games media right now, so YouTubers are stepping up to grab that audience that may be put off my games media. Also, remember you can't be a popular YouTuber unless you are super cynical! To the cynical people, if a game gets a high score, the reviewer must have been paid for it, because all video games suck, even though they claim it is their favorite hobby.

So there is people out there watching this video going "Hell Yeah, tear that Gerstmann down! He's the worst!" ?
Why would they even blame Jeff? Who are these people?
Sorry for all the question, I know you probably don't have all the answers. I'm just so baffled by this

ShadowKirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, it's about ethics in shitty youtube videos.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Not gonna watch it. Remember, youtubers make money on views so they don't care if you agree or not as long as you click on the stupid video.

The Ads business model is kind of the worst thing.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not gonna watch it. Remember, youtubers make money on views so they don't care if you agree or not as long as you click on the stupid video.

The Ads business model is kind of the worst thing.

Unless you use Ghostery.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@linkster7: I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that see Jeff as part of the problem since he has been in traditional games media for so long. The people doing it are ones that feel like the way games media is going will change video games, like we'll have more "Gone Homes" and less "Halos," even though there has been zero evidence to support this claim.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By sumbog

There was definitely a concept in that video that could have worked, and there was a moment or two when they could have turned it around, but that was utter garbage. Little to no proof about there claims, just pure speculation, inciting unfounded hatred.

Also to answer your question about why they used Jeff in this video is because back in 2008 when he got fired for reasons undisclosed at the time (Pressure from advertisers about his poor score on the Kane and Lynch review) his name became synonymous with corruption in the game industry and brought to light for people the conundrum that video game press faced. I just re-listened to the GFW podcast in the aftermath of that event, and for this video to say that Jeff's situation is a widespread phenomenon (to this day!) is insane. The amount of backlash by the press against the event was massive, and a large amount of good will towards Jeff was fostered.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

It's funny cause there's been more proof that YouTubers get paid for that stuff. Remember Mordor?

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol wtf is this nonsense? love all the comments on youtube for this btw....some people hahaha

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ETHICS!!!!!

these guys went dangerously into libel territory there.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He mispronounced Gerstmann.

Also he should be wearing a bra.

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By IAmNotBatman

Is this a video of them trolling themselves as it's funny they slate Kotaku for click-bait and bullshit when this video itself is shoddily informed and misplaced also. Is it self-aware? Seems like I understand what he's trying to say but is explained badly and in a way which is potentially damaging.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By BabyChooChoo

My favorite thing about this whole "big video game review sites are being payed off" thing is that no one really has any fucking evidence other than the whole Jeff fiasco and even then, Jeff and damn near everyone else has come out and said the people who made those shitty decisions are gone. IGN for example has said time and time again that the editorial and marketing sides have nothing to do with each other and yet the circlejerk on Youtube, Reddit, and wherever else is just like "well, they gave this game I didn't like a high score so clearly they're full of shit." Goddamn, I fucking hate what gaming culture has become. People are literally making up shit to get angry about.

edit: And, for the record, I'm not saying everyone should never ever question what these review sites do/say, but goddamn, this shit is getting old.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By whitegreyblack

Holy shit, this is a snarling, misinformed, nerd rage-rant deceptively delivered in a calm manner over ambient elevator music. I feel stupider for having seen it.

Excuse the all caps, please:

THEY THINK METACRITIC REVIEWS GAMES! Holy cow.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By oldenglishc

#ethics in distractingly humongous man nipples

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate myself for watching that dumb video.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff should now find this guys name, and make a video doing this about him.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By brandondryrock

I kind of want to view the comments on the video, but at the same time it is still kind of early to be mad and disgusted with people. Maybe I'll check out the comments in a few hours.

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is this man the evil/bizarro counterpart to Dr. Tracksuit?

SirFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SirFork

Well...that was dumb, also why did they use Jeff since he was the one fired for not giving a game a better score?

And fuck me the comments are stupid as hell, I thought gamergate was over.

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

maybe because they knew it would attract views from GB?

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By whitegreyblack

@sumbog said:

Also to answer your question about why they used Jeff in this video is because back in 2008 when he got fired for reasons undisclosed at the time (Pressure from advertisers about his poor score on the Kane and Lynch review) his name became synonymous with corruption in the game industry and brought to light for people the conundrum that video game press faced. I just re-listened to the GFW podcast in the aftermath of that event, and for this video to say that Jeff's situation is a widespread phenomenon (to this day!) is insane. The amount of backlash by the press against the event was massive, and a large amount of good will towards Jeff was fostered.

This reasoning aside, the video still does not make any sense. If they wanted to use Jeff to show how he was the guy that got fired because of giving an honest review for a game (i.e. not being paid-off)... why preface that with a scene of "Jeff" being handed handfuls of money to change his opinion?

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my life. Looks like a very typical and transparently desperate attempt at revitalizing the GG movement. This guy also just looks like a prick in his mannerisms. This is such libel I don't even know how they get away with it. Not sticking up for Gamespot, but you can't just pretend to be someone else and then start spewing garbage out of your mouth.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

A little knowledge + a webcam and a hashtag makes me nervous for humanity.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyward Sword is awesome.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brandondryrock said:

So there is people out there watching this video going "Hell Yeah, tear that Gerstmann down! He's the worst!" ?

Why would they even blame Jeff? Who are these people?

Sorry for all the question, I know you probably don't have all the answers. I'm just so baffled by this

Maybe the dreaded "Shenmue people" have finally come out from their hiding?

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By mbradley1992

@dave_tacitus: The emphasis there should be on little. Like, for example, basing your claims on stating the opinions of all gamers ever on one product which actually aren't true.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erhard said:

What is this shit?

I'm gonna be controversial here and say: it's simply just shit.

speedmarque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Posted on the video and disliked. Using his name like that is out of order. That misinformed piece of crap is exactly the type of amateurish half baked nonsense they are attempting to call out themselves. That is just sad.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is just a bad video and that's the worst Jeff impression, he's better off as a Will Smith impersonator and should get him to write his lines and chuck in a joke or two.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glottery said:

Maybe the dreaded "Shenmue people" have finally come out from their hiding?

I've never understood "Shenmue people". Shenmue 3 came out 10 years ago. It's called Yakuza.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

his teeth...

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I were Jeff Gerstmann (I'm not) I would be seriously considering getting my lawyer to send these assholes a cease and desist. The way this guy uses Jeff's name on the video including saying "with Jeff Gerstmann" on the thumbnail, and use his name and act as if "Jeff" is the one presenting the points therein... is pretty troubling.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was dumb. They pulled all their information out of their asses.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be sure not to watch and give these dickwads a view. Thanks for the warning.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#41  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

I'm confused and tired and I don't like this. I'm going to lock it as YouTube spam. If I'm wrong PM me and shout at me and I'll reconsider

Love ya all <>