In light of Flash exploits, is the Live Streamer for GB safe?

glitches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By glitches

I remember during some streams there was suggestion that the live streamer on the Giantbomb site was going to be HTML5, and I wanted to know if that's the case? Since I can't get the wonderful UPF segments live without being on the site (no youtube or twitch [which i know wouldn't be safe either] option, for example), it would kind of suck if there might be some live events that I couldn't watch because I can't trust Flash to be safe.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If you mean Twitch, they still use Flash for video. Player controls are only HTML5 there.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I think Twitch is the only site mentioned that is still using any Flash for live broadcasts. I've been watching GB live broadcasts on Android.

glitches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By glitches

@audiobusting: The stream right now seems to indicate that the GB streaming player requires flash. Archives will have the HTML5 option, I'm aware, but not the live stuff.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

@glitches: Oh I just checked and you're right. Can't watch on my PC without Flash, though I can on my phone.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Yeah as of right now the only HTML5 option is via archives. Also I think that HTML5 might still be members only? Not 100% sure on that one.

gravytrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gravytrain

The current livestream player is still Flash based. I'm unsure of what the solution will be as I'm not running any Flash (even via the built-in Chrome version) at this time due to the exploit. Today the livestream was handled via Twitch and Youtube, but I'm not sure if it will continue to be that way. @jeff I know an HTML5 player is being worked on, but what's the current stance for how the site will handle livestreams? Will all streams go up on Youtube so we don't have to use Flash, or will premium streams still only be accessible via Flash?

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gravytrain: Remember twitch also still only uses flash for video as well, so only youtube would be good.

gravytrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm: Good point, I never use Twitch directly so I forgot about that, I use Livestreamer specifically because of the Flash issues. I've updated my comment to reflect that.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By jslack

HTML5 replacement for Flash streaming is in active development. Our dependency is on our CDN. Essentially it comes down to us being able to protect streams, so people can't rip them off without premium access.