Posted by buckybit (1455 posts) -

This will be a "live-blog" sort of thing, with continuous status updates. (also cross-post via Gamespot Blog page)

July 24th 2013 - UTC +1 (Europe, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin local timezone)

What is the goal:

... check, test, play Steam (PC) games on a Linux Operating System.

How to start:

... from Windows:

1. USB Linux Live USB Creator: http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/home

This small app, allows you choose form many different Linux "Live" OS versions and install any on a USB thumbdrive. Your mainboard must supports booting from a USB drive, you can first test and then install a Linux Operating System from it. This is one well established tool, easy to use and works very well. I used it today to install the Steam supported Ubuntu 12.04 LTS version. Otherwise ...

2. Download your Linux Distro manually and burn it on a DVD/CD

http://releases.ubuntu.com/precise/

3. Installing Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

What I did was starting the Ubuntu CD (700 MB, x86 - which is the 32bit version) in "Live Mode" first, instead installing it from the get go. Ubuntu starts and first thing I did was, to configure a connection to the Internet. I checked quickly the hardware settings, just to make sure, no critical error messages are already popping up. Everything was good.

I already prepared my harddrive (partitions for Linux root and home and other things). I was good to go.

Next step. Click the "Install Ubuntu" icon ...

You have to trust the expertise of decades of Unix/BSD and Linux Kernel developers, Debian Developers, and the Ubuntu people, that these install scripts and Kernel modules are all detecting your hardware and make everything "work" (from your obscure no-name webcam, to your 3 different soundcards, to the unknown chinese chipset on your US 'branded' mainboard. In most cases, the drivers are there and will detect your hardware ... even the Monitor and graphic card (latter, in most cases - still, not always. It's a long story, for another day).

Ubuntu is installing and - due to the Internet connection, I established - updating the packets it needs to install itself. After ca. 30 minutes, it is all done and there comes the ...

... reboot. NOW, is the time, when it starts to get tricky for a while.

Descriptive Error Messages. Sometimes, I DO get, why people say: "Linux - it's not ready for desktop". I hear this for 20 years now.

In my case, I got some ugly artifacts during the startup. Ubuntu is not using ATI or NVIDIA drivers for your ATI and NVIDIA cards automatically. (This too has a long history and you can read books about that history some place else). In my case, I have the default Gallium free open source driver, which did its job eventually.

Next step:

1. Establish an Internet connection.

2. Wait (or start the "Update Manager" manually)

3. Update your Ubuntu Installation.

This is crucial, since the initial installation, despite being already connected to the Internet, did not really "update" the system from the vanilla CD/DVD version. It only downloaded additional files for the installation process. THIS now is the true update. Also, beware of the differences of an "update" and an "upgrade".

Reboot.

Now comes the 'fun' part. Not really.

This is when things are supposed to work, but usually don't.

That is exactly the kind of stuff Canonical/Ubuntu Linux newbies should never EVAR have to see? 12.04 LTS(!) should be a smoother ride. That's what endless testing is for.

In my case, the application, which allows for a NVIDIA upgrade, did not detect any available (propriatery) NVIDIA drivers. This would be the moment, I guess, every new non-Linux Linux user would stop or start searching the Googlebing webs for help, ending up under a virtual pile of mostly desperate and useless forum posts, filled with mostly clueless and useless comments by Linux-wannabees, and - after hours of searching - maybe find some thoughtful solutions and help, or even articles or bug reports, describing the exact same problem and figuring out, that this bug is unsolved for months if not years - btw, "you are welcome to join". "Don't report a bug, FIX a bug" is a common saying in those cricles. I digress.

"Yo, bro. Your option is, you can haz no option, bro"

Maybe 1-2 hours in, and this is the moment, every Linux newbie is leaving the green grass and unicorn rainbow realms, to join the FIGHT CLUB, that is the X (now curated by XOrg formerly XFree86, but that is ANOTHER really, really, really long story) This is the moment 90% give up with their Linux adventure and 1% of the remaining 10% end up being programmers of the stinky, brilliant kind.

You just have to do this:

• sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa 
  • sudo apt-get update
  • sudo apt-get install <package name> 

This means, you joined the "update-my-drivers-everytime-I-am-online-to-the-latest-version-even-if-its-beta-and-can-break-everything" club. Congratulations!

Reboot.

The NVIDIA driver should be now doing the job of rendering that beautiful METRO UI ... ehm, UNITY UI, without you having to open and edit the xorg.conf file (I have heard, there are 'new' generations out there, you never saw the X11 directory. Is it true?)

Now download and install the STEAM CLIENT FOR LINUX from the "Ubuntu Software Center" (create an Canonical account, login, "pay" zero dollars - that's how they get your name & address & credit card) or directly - without hassle - from Valve's page (it's a direct .deb link!).

After downloading the Steam client, the installation is the same as on the Windows platform. Login. Client update ... and voil`a:

Buy once - own it on all platforms. Valve loves you?

Usually, my "goto" benchmarking game for testing my video card drivers on GNU/Linux or BSD is Quake 3 Arena - a native linux installer from the id software ftp server (gone, but never forgotten? wait!), let you install the game easily and quickly and it ran. On many Linux versions, it ran even faster than on Windows, because Linux OS scales better (if everything is set up right & the driver version was 'good'), or you could just recompile the game and it would be an optimized version, specifically suited for your personal ... uh, computer.

Game 1 of 50

Today, instead, I downloaded Unigine's Oil Rush, while waiting for Team Fortress 2 and Dota 2 (#BIGPLAYS) to download too. Oil Rush may not be the greatest game of all time (certainly isn't; doesn't really need to be), but it is a great showcase of fairly modern demanding graphics for a Linux OS game.

Gettin' wet & shit blowing up on a x-window screen, 60 FPS: yay video games!

It runs in 1920x1080 with Anti Aliasing on and all visual settings on maximum at 50-60 FPS (vsync on) on my rig (AMD 4x3.6GHz, GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST 2GB VRAM). It's a good start.

Game 2 of 50:

Next stop was HOTLINE MIAMI

H O T A - L I N E mee-am-mee ... somewhat Russian

In the true spirit of Linux OS jinx, the Hotline Miami game shows up in the Steam Folder, you can click "Install" ... but nothing happens! To make the game actually install on a Linux platform, you have to right click "Properties", choose the BETAS menu tab and opt in to the Beta. Now it says "Enter beta access code to unlock private betas" - hmm. Let's try the hacking game, 1990's Hackers style. How about: hlm - this does the trick. Now it installs. I had it running, but no music playing in-game (music ran during menu screen). Not a problem. The Linux version seems to come without the soundtrack? But if it isn't already playing in your head, you can copy paste it from your Windows version?

Music runs just fine. I forgot, the very first moment in the tutorial, there is no music! (Great Trivia Question?!). Also: Gamepad works! And the game switches the mouse/keyboard control icons in the tutorial to gamepad icons (as in "LT take weapon. RT shot his head off!")

[UPDATE 1]

Game 3 of 50:

Next stop - DOTA 2

Dota 2 ... runs in fullscreen mode, runs in 1920x1080 with THIS graphics settings ... and no visual glitches or framedrops because of intense graphicking (rendering). For an old Unix/Linux veteran, it felt like Christmas ...

"How about THIS video settings?!" (I even turned on Ambient Occlusion - no frame drops)

... but, nothing in life is ever perfect, right? On my rig, with my settings (not using HDMI, no extra soundcard) the SOUND ... sounded ... poor. Pulseaudio is doing its best, I guess. And even the Microphone Test you know from the Steam Settings tab works as is.

♪♫♪♫ Sound y'all! ♪♫♪♫

And because of this sound (driver problems ... - audio on Linux, just like graphics ... has a loooong, long bloody history - don't ask.) maybe, is my personal guess (not tested it properly), I DO GET some hickups and frame stuttering. It could also be a bandwidth issue, but I tested it playing 4 bot matches, so the up-/downstream load wasn't that high - except for the simultaneous TF2 download ... in short: I cannot say either way. No conclusions here, as of now.

What, Kessler? NOT playing DOTA?? Linux version must be broken?!
"Abaddon & the Dota 2 Bots Band" playing on an ext4 near you!

But all in all, YES! Dota 2 runs just fine!

(to be continued ...)

#1 Edited by EXTomar (4511 posts) -

I didn't notice Dota 2 release a Mac and Linux client along with the official release. I've actually played Team Fortres 2 on Linux (for a hat!) and it behaved more or less like I would expect it too.

#2 Posted by ThunderSlash (1570 posts) -

As someone who tried out the Steam Linux beta, I found that display drivers were perhaps the toughest things to install. Especially if your GPU is an obscure laptop one. It didn't help that Ubuntu 12 didn't like my hardware for whatever reason. I had to install it up to 5 times. Also, most of the games were pretty buggy from my experience.

#3 Edited by EXTomar (4511 posts) -

Any drivers like video have classically been tricky to handle because ATI and Nvidia want to tightly control and guard their hardware and software tech. The best Canonical can do is take the binary ATI and Nvidia provides test it and release it "as is". Intel is the only major graphics vendor that does true open source drivers and unsurprisingly stupidly easy to use.

#4 Posted by mitchell486 (115 posts) -

As someone who runs Ubuntu 12.04 on my work laptop and wants to really consider strongly ditching Windows at home.... This is awesome. Please keep this up and I will definitely be a follower. You have already opened my eyes to a number of games on Linux. If they keep going in this direction, I'll be leaving Windows to play on Linux primarily! Thanks!

#5 Edited by buckybit (1455 posts) -

Instead editing my blog post and maybe breaking the website(!), I am rather updating posts as comments.

Game 4 of 50:

SUPER HEXAGON

Terry Cavanagh's game for clearly crazy people?! It is hard for me to say or write something like: "You can play Super Hexagon on Linux", because - let's face it - CAN YOU PLAY SUPER HEXAGON ON ANY PLATFORM? Really? Haha!

Yep. The game runs just fine. Also supports Fullscreen (playing it on 1080p). Responsive, as in "unforgivingly so". No excuse for people on the Linux side of things, trying to come up with: "Oh the controls didn't work right" - "There's some kind of weird lag" - "It's broken on Linux, kinda" ... nope. Nothing of that kind at all. If you cannot last, then it is because you suck, just like me, at that 'game'. Whose idea was it to nominate it for "Excellence in Game Design" at this years IGF? Are you people high like ALL the time?! Game devs, tststs ...

Before the game starts, it runs a "Setup" message box. Choose your resolution and overall graphic settings.

Game 5 of 50:

Awesomenauts

... your 2D Moba during Dota 2 breaks? Runs perfectly fine. You can also play it with a (wired) 360 Controller on Linux(!!), if you like to. Just plug it in and it should run.

Open a terminal and type in:

dmesg | grep xpad

to check. Latest Linux kernels support gamepads without having to recompile the kernel or modules. You don't know, what I am talking about? Good for you!

#6 Edited by buckybit (1455 posts) -

... another update:

Game 6 of 50:

Anomaly: Warzone Earth

"An alien ship has crashed in Baghdad ..." - you are part of a British Special Forces Team(?). Remember the Steam Christmas Sale two years ago, when a bunch of games had Holiday related DLC? You were able to play those levels and get some "rewards" - yeah. Steam Achievements & Badges dry run - before it really happened.

That was the only time I played this game and now, I regret not having played more. It is a 'reverse' tower-defense game. The graphics look really nice (both visuals and technical). Stuff blowing up around you all the time, while you try to get your unstoppable unit from one end of the map to the other, without losing them.

The game runs smooth. Framerate on highest settings is great, even during heavy fights. You cannot set any details in the in-game menu though. The fonts do seem to have some Aliasing Artifacts on the edges. But who really cares? Steam overlay seems not to work or being turned off? I usually leave the Steam In-Game Overlay on, while some say in some forums, that they gained some frames, by turning it off.

A bigger issue, I stumbled upon (your mileage may vary) is when 'exiting' the game. The game does not quit properly, rather switches from fullscreen to a window and hangs there.

Screen froze on exit each time. Some games are so awesome, THEY don't want to quit on you?

This is another of these "You better know some Linux" moments, which would be too much for anyone, who just started to play around with a Linux System. On Windows Operating Systems you would ctrl-alt-delete and end the task. DO NOT press ctrl-alt-del on a Linux system! It might reboot your PC!

Anomal Anomaly

What you have to do is open a terminal (again, those Unix/Linux/Fallout terminals!) and type: sudo su. The command line terminal will ask you for your password and you type it in. Next thing is to find the process of the still running game to "kill" it. Type: ps -A and find the Anomaly game. Look at the ID number and then type: kill <number> (<number> means, you put the number in, do not actually type <number>. For example: kill 12479

This does the trick.

#7 Edited by Winsord (1171 posts) -

Pretty interesting read, definitely will be keeping tabs on this thread. I'm likely going to make a partition for Kubuntu or Fedora partition on the next HDD I buy, and I'd be interested to see how much of my library has Linux support. I'd messed around with doing a Wubi install of Kubuntu before, but I never ended up getting past Windows Boot Manager throwing a fit every time I went to launch because of the weird path I wanted. I figure I'd be better off just partitioning 250GB or so from a new 2TB drive anyways, so it'll get done in time.

Type: ps -A and find the Anomaly game. Look at the ID number and then type: kill <number> (<number> means, you put the number in, do not actually type <number>. For example: kill 12479

Admittedly I've got no experience with Ubuntu and have really only spent time in the RHEL systems, but wouldn't it be easier in most cases to run something more akin to: "ps aux | grep -i 'anomaly' ", or even to replace ps with top and use its built in kill function? I remember Ubuntu handling root user access oddly the last time I used it, so it wouldn't surprise me if you're doing it the way you are with good reason. That said, the "u" switch should tell you the user that's running the process, and seeing as you should be running games from a standard user account and not root, you shouldn't need to su or sudo to kill the game. I also wonder if you could get away with a lower severity signal than 15/term too, though it shouldn't really matter. It wouldn't surprise me if you just used ps -A for the example, seeing as it'd be an easier command for someone new to Linux to remember than bothering with piping into grep.

Now I'm probably going to go home and start messing about with Wubi again, haha.

#8 Edited by Ben_H (3315 posts) -

For your last part where you talk about processes:

Would you not be able to look up a game process simply using "ps acx" (ps -a works too, I just like more info whenever possible) and not have to allow superuser access? I kill processes all the time on both Linux and OS X without ever needing to set myself as superuser. That just seems like an unnecessary extra step. And it is better to be not set as superuser so you don't accidentally screw something up. I almost never use sudo other than for installing stuff and other very specific things, though I normally just use the terminal for programming stuff (run Emacs in one tab, a terminal set to the needed directory on another tab). Basically what I am saying is you don't need superuser to kill processes.

pro tip: to find processes faster use " ps acx | grep [processnamehere]". It gives you only the process you are looking for rather than all of the running processes. Better yet, if you know the exact process name, simply use "pgrep [processnamehere]" and it simply returns the process ID number (it is case sensitive, though), so you can kill processes without ever having to look for anything. Much faster than digging through every process to find what you are looking for. Also, if you aren't sure of the exact process name, grep allows you to put in partial names and returns everything that matches that string of characters. For example, if you search "ps acx | grep Chrome" it will return not only the Chrome process (and other related processes, like ChromeHelper, and one I kill a lot because it sets off my discrete GPU, ChromeHelper EH), but the processes for each tab, so you can kill an individual tab if it is giving you trouble. Very handy.

edit: Winsord said some of the same stuff I did hahaha. Anyhow, he might be right about Ubuntu handling root access funny, I'm not sure. I haven't used Ubuntu since it switched away from Gnome as the desktop environment. I've been mostly using OpenSUSE and more recently elementary OS.

#9 Edited by buckybit (1455 posts) -

@winsord

hey, thanks for reading, first of all.

Your way is more elegant and more sophisticated. I was going for "as simple, as possible". Using pipes and grep (but how do I know that the process is really called "Anomaly"?) makes me want to explain and elaborate on what I did, what it can do and why pipes are a true, yet simple form of functional programming, etc, etc, ... which would be overreaching quite a bit, haha.

I personally don't like Ubuntu at all. It's not for me, anyway. But I did explicitly the "recommended" Steam Linux Distro, to test how the 'user' experience is on that platform with those officially sanctioned games. First time around, I did it during the Steam/Linux beta start. This all started, because I saw a post on Steam today.

I run this Linux distro on a harddrive which also runs Windows 7 (earlier had Windows 8.1 on it - UEFI Boot Manager still present). I was able to a) boot Linux from a USB drive and b) install Linux into the MBR, after I had wiped the harddrive from all of Win8 & its GPT partition table.)

Good luck with Wubi.

@ben_h

... again, I was going for "super-easy" user level, not trying to make people use complex command line hackery. Your point is valid though. Also the super-user part.

Now you guys made me feel bad for doing some brute force process killing, without checking properly. Good job, Duders. Haha ;)

#10 Posted by jeffrud (382 posts) -

I started reviewing the Linux versions of some games a few months back, really been meaning to get back into it. I was a beta client fellow with two or three years of distro hopping under my belt, and so far my experiences have been pretty good. You wind up browsing a lot of forums for specific issues (I wind up having to run all Source games with -windowed -noborder), and I still wouldn't recommend it to folks not willing to get their hands a little dirty. Overall though, for the price of $0 you've got access to a fully functional OS and two outstanding games.

Hope you keep this project up!

#11 Posted by buckybit (1455 posts) -

Game 7 of 50:

ROCHARD

Played it on Windows before. Do you want to continue on Linux? Savegames in Space!

Space Miners! Time to punch in that card again. A "Unity"-Engine powered cross-platform game, has a first surprise to offer: my 16 months old save file, stored on the Steam powered Cloud (take a moment to enjoy all those references!) was transfarted to my Linux version of the game. The game was asking me, if I want to "continue". What sounds trivial to some, is rather not as trivial, if you are in game development.

Game runs smooth. Controls (gamepad!) feel super responsive. Makes me want to think, how super awesome Super Street Fighter IV on Linux could be, for some reason (no. it's not really working).Sound, graphics, visual effects - all superb. I am starting to understand why game devs like Unity.

Game supports Pads of the controlling kind. Not just the official XBOX controller - you can plug in anything on your Linux machine that is of plastic and has buttons. Somebody wrote a driver for it?
Fonts look Cleartype smooth on the edges.
John Rochard - unlike Dead Spaces Isaac Clarke, THIS guy is actually working for his money?!

#12 Edited by buckybit (1455 posts) -

Game 8 of 50:

Mining in Space Part 2

Space Pirates and Zombies (SPAZ)

"... but what, if it had Space Pirates AND ZOMBIES?!"

Game starts a 2D windowed screen, detecting your monitor screen resolution, asking you to confirm the settings. There was no cloud savefile with this one, but the keyboard/mouse configuration and the pre-generated 'Universe' was recovered from my previous play (January 2013) on this fresh new Linux install.

Big Bang! In the beginning, there was the procedurally generated Universe. Video game developers are Gods?!

Mouse controls, keyboard all fine and responsive. I am always amazed of the lack of lag, when it comes to Linux and Fullscreen mouse cursor movement. I am THAT old. Gazillion graphic cards, kernel versions and drivers later. As if I could not be happy, when there is no problem. Speaking of ...

"But nobody can hear you in space, anyway" ... aren't you clever.

NO SOUND! (... and how to fix it!)

On Ubuntu (and some other Linux Distros**) the game has no sound.

You need to create a link in the SPAZ directory to a shared library*

Solution 1:

Open a Terminal (sounds familiar?) Navigate to the SPAZ game directory. Should be

cd /home/<your-user-name>/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Space Pirates and Zombies/game/gui

and type:

ln -s /usr/lib/libopenal.so.1 libopenal.so

Solution 2:

go to the /usr/lib directory in your file manager.

Find and copy your "libopenal.so.1.13.0" file (the version number in my case) to the game directory and rename it to plain "libopenal.so" (without any following numbers)

Start the game.

You have sound!

This is the kind of game I uninstall to save myself from losing my daytime job. Addictive, mindless mining is my weak spot.

*) .so = shared object - the ".dll" of the Linux world)

**) btw, "Distro" is short for Distribution, which stands for different pre-packaged Linux releases. You see, "Linux" in itself, is just the core Operating System. A Kernel and a bunch of modules (drivers). To actually have something for users to click on, there needs to be a notepad, a music player, a torrent client ... uhm, etc. Profit and Non-Profit companies (and single Dudes, probably also "single" in many cases) "package" a collection of software which is freely available (check your BSD/GPL license versions) and re-distribute that as a ... new Linux Distribution. You can get a gazillion different Linux OS versions over here (Distrowatch), if you want to check it out.

(to be continued ...)

#13 Posted by fapa (10 posts) -

@buckybit nice write up so far. If you are going for as simple as possible why not use System Monitor to kill the process. Everybody that ever used Windows Task Manager will feel right at home.

Thanks to my quite big Steam library I own 70 titles on Linux and so far most of them worked pretty well. There are some hitches every now and then but I would say its on par with a Win7/Win8 x64 install. I especially had trouble getting some older games to run on Win8.

#14 Edited by buckybit (1455 posts) -

@fapa: haha - thanks, man. I can't say, I haven't seen this ever before, but it probably is only the second time, I've seen that GUI'd Sysmon. (Ubuntu - "your friendly MS Windows") ;)

btw, this might be my last installment, of this series, since GB does not allow for "comment-spam" (multiple comments in a row, by a single user).

Game 9 of 50:

Frozen Synapse

A critic's darling, award winning game. Runs on Mac's and Androids (Google Play) and was on Linux before Steam was on Linux?

"Something bad happened, the last time around?" Yes.

Minor issue. It starts in window mode 800x600 (that's not the issue, that's the good part). If you chose a higher resolution first and then switch to Fullscreen, your mouse will be stuck in the previous window resolution borders! You cannot click on anything (especially "apply" or "cancel") anymore, because it is out of your reach! Esc key doesn't work, if I recall correctly. You have to "kill" the game.*

Remember: FIRST go Fullscreen, THEN change to a higher desktop resolution, to avoid mouse issue.

You avoid this problem by switching FIRST to fullscreen (800x600) and then applying the higher resolution.

The game runs fine. Online chat & play too. Not demanding at all (from a pure technical point, of course. You will be challenged by the gameplay, duh).

One more hickup of the former sort, when exiting the game. It is "stuck". I pressed "exit", the screen went black. These kind of driver related issues can happen. Does not mean, it will happen to you and your PC. I kept the Ubuntu install strictly "vanilla" - no 'extra' software installed (no "restricted"-codecs, or VLC, or any other thing than Steam & Ubuntu updates. This is a scientifick(!) experiment, right?

*) see methods above. Only, in this case, you are stuck in Fullscreen mode. On Linux - no problem. Hold ctrl-alt-F1 to switch to another (virtual) desktop (rather terminal). You will see a command prompt. Login. Kill the XOrg process.* Your friendly Linux will then switch to the window manager login screen. Login.

Game 10 of 50

Wargame European Escalation

Mine here, are boring; the screenshots you see on the devs website or the Steam page are actually 100% accurate! The game really looks that darn good!

Since this blog is about installing and (hopefully) successfully running the Steam selected Games on Linux, I will spare you my praise for this game. It is the predecessor of "Wargame Airland Battle" and was made by the French Duders, who brought you R.U.S.E.

This grand strategy game has one of the more impressive game engines out there. You can zoom in seamlessly and in milliseconds from a top-down view, to the shadow casting grass leaves. "So it's like Peter Molyneux's Populous?" you might ask. Well, more sophisticated, I'd say.

When you first fire up the game, it asks you, if it may run a test, determining the graphic settings (does the same thing on Windows). If you say "yes", it will test different desktop resolutions settings (flickering) and different rendering quality settings. In the end, it all depends on you and how much of the visual fidelity you want to sacrifice for a smoother framerate (especially in multiplayer matches, which this game in the end is all about).

You can go nuts in the settings menu: MSAA, SSAO, Single grass leaf real-time shadows, etc, etc,

I maxed the settings out, in Single Player Campaign mode, and it ran great. You get a ton of explosions, particle effects, blur, etc. during the battles, but the mouse and movement always felt responsive, never failed to get me from A to B, eSport Starcraft/Dota style.

The OpenGL (Linux) version does not look as nice, as the D3D/DirectX (Windows) one. I don't want to say more, since my brain is like a sieve, but I think the explosions, don't look as good. I didn't read up on the graphic features of the Windows vs Linux versions. But don't let that fool you for a second! This game looks gorgeous, if you like Warsaw pact tanks blowing up and East German flat lands. The Cold War is gettin' HOT, in this game!

Game 11 of 50

Polynomial

... the 3D musical 'space shooter' for space hippies. I love this 'game' and the mathematical visual style. Dmytry Lavrov made this game, and he's a cool Dude. You might check his website, if you like. He does cool stuff. A fellow admirer of volumetric clouds.

1-2-3-4 monitor support. Stretch dat phase!

The Game does not start ... and how to easily fix it.

delete

$HOME/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/ThePolynomial/bin/lib32/libvstdlib_s.so

$HOME/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/ThePolynomial/bin/lib32/libtier0_s.so

will resolve the issue, as Dmytry posted on a Steam Community thread earlier. He also confirmed today, that the game will get an update, so you won't have to do this trick in the future.

Hey girl, "Anaglyph" stands for Anaglyph 3D - pick up your fancy glasses, if you can find them.

Otherwise, the game supports all the visual styles and tricks and gimmicks it has to offer! And you can chose Rythmbox as your default audio player. Far out! "Turn On, Tune In, Drop Out", Duder.

"I’m transforming, I’m vibrating, I’m glowing, I’m flying, look at me, I’m flying, look at me now" - Nick Cave

==============

(that's it for now. I also played some TF2, Brütal Legend, Dungeons of Dredmor, but will reserve this for later. Cannot figure out how to add stuff here, if no one else will 'comment'; maybe gonna create a new blog entry.)

I enjoy reading your tips and comments. This is not meant to be a 'vanity' post by any means. It's about showing if and how the games really work, the way Steam thinks it should, and along the way maybe give other people some helpful tips. You are all invited.

#15 Posted by bigjeffrey (4809 posts) -

LOL Linux

#16 Edited by oraknabo (1453 posts) -

I blame the video driver issues you were having during setup more on the card manufacturers than Ubuntu. That said, I abandoned Ubuntu over a year ago for Manjaro which set up really easily and gave me no issues with drivers or installing Steam. I also have an Arch system I've built up from scratch I use daily now too, but I haven't yet tried Steam on it.

I was on it during the beta and 3D games like Amnesia and TF2 actually ran better on the Manjaro side than on the Win7 side on the same computer. It looks like there's a pretty good library building up. There were less than 20 games last time I was on it on Linux, so I need to look again and see what's on my games list that's become available since.

#17 Edited by Brackynews (4046 posts) -

Trying to put beta ATI drivers on my OSX Bootcamp installation was 120 minutes of my life last night that I'll never get back. I try not to do this shit any more, I have better things to worry about.

#18 Posted by EXTomar (4511 posts) -

ATI drivers are notoriously iffy for Linux unfortunately.

#19 Posted by Bollard (5288 posts) -

As someone who tried out the Steam Linux beta, I found that display drivers were perhaps the toughest things to install. Especially if your GPU is an obscure laptop one. It didn't help that Ubuntu 12 didn't like my hardware for whatever reason. I had to install it up to 5 times. Also, most of the games were pretty buggy from my experience.

Yeah, I had 11 and upgraded to 12 and it was like, nope you don't get USB drivers anymore. Also your hard drive is failing. And my hard drive is fine. Had to revert to 11 to even get it to work again and it still kept making the partition read only during use. I gave up in the end. Really doesn't like my PC hardware.