• 90 results
soup_menu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By soup_menu

I'm pleased to announce that Whiskey Media Video Buddy is now available for iOS. Previously an Android exclusive, this free app aims to make watching videos from any of the five Whiskey Media sites on your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad as convenient as possible. How? I'm glad you asked:

Everyone is able to:

• Stream all non-member-exclusive videos from each site
  • Save your place in a video and resume from that spot later
  • Send video to AirPlay-capable devices like an Apple TV

Additionally, paid Whiskey Media members can:

• Access the subscriber-only videos
  • Access HD streams for every video available
  • Download videos to watch later

There are also two limitations I should mention:

You must be running iOS 5.0 or better. This is my first time working with iOS and only targeting the most recent version of the operating system simplified things immensely.

Videos can only be streamed over WiFi. App Store policy effectively requires that Whiskey Media Video Buddy use HTTP Live Streaming when using the cellular network for data and, to the best of my knowledge, Whiskey Media does not currently support HLS. For those interested in details, see section 9.4 of the App Store Review Guidelines and the "Requirements for Apps" section in the "Using HTTP Live Streaming" portion of the HTTP Live Streaming Overview

If you own an iOS device and are a fan of Whiskey Media's video content then I encourage you to head on over to the App Store to check it out. If you have any questions or comments please don't hesitate to drop me a line.

sirchode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By sirchode

This is rad, thank you for porting it!

Strange stuff about the HLS requirement, seems like there are plenty of apps that serve video and I severely doubt they all use HLS.

What are your plans for the app going forward?

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By zero_

As a long time user of the Android version, this is the best way to view WM videos. Great job - heck, you even updated the app only a few days after I posted a review with a bug!

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Are you going to add thumbnails etc? And if you want I can whip up a new logo that better represents the app (more Whiskey like etc.)

I'll try this on my iPod and iPad and tell you how it goes.

EDIT: Logged in fine (even though I'm not a premium member), you just need to find a way to cover up what's going there, however. Good work though, just need to pretty it up a bit. This was on my iPad.

niall_sg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By niall_sg1

I'm really liking this, two things I would love is:

1. Thumbnails for all the videos

2.The ability to download the videos

Edit: Though it seems that I can't watch any HD videos using the app. Trying to watch the Q.U.B.E quicklook in HD opens the video page for a second then closes. I can watch in High quality though. It seems to do this for all videos. After checking it out, it does this for every site except Tested.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Master_Funk

This is great. Finally an easy way to access this

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By X19

Oh great stuff I will check it out.

Still sad that videos can't launch from the Giant Bomb app anymore :(

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By wrighteous86

@Niall_Sg1 said:

Edit: Though it seems that I can't watch any HD videos using the app. Trying to watch the Q.U.B.E quicklook in HD opens the video page for a second then closes. I can watch in High quality though. It seems to do this for all videos. After checking it out, it does this for every site except Tested.

If you're a subscriber, why don't you just subscribe to the Member's Only video feed on iTunes, and consume and download their vids like a podcast?

niall_sg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By niall_sg1

@Wrighteous86 said:

@Niall_Sg1 said:

If you're a subscriber, why don't you just subscribe to the Member's Only video feed on iTunes, and consume and download their vids like a podcast?

I rarely sync my iPad to my computer. If ever now that you can update the firmware straight from the device. Even transferring movies across I just use the ftp mode in AVPlayerHD. Being able to download straight from the device would be great.

Avatar image for deactivated-66361f5b4a584
deactivated-66361f5b4a584

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can watch videos fine so.... Oh well it's not like I'm gonna upgrade my iOS I hate that, it messes my app placements.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By swoxx

Wow that's awesome. Thank you for sharing and making this!

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pezen

@Wrighteous86: Thanks for the tip, that's great, considering how many podcasts I tend to synch daily this will work well in my routine.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By wrighteous86

@Pezen: Yeah, it really is a feature they should advertise more. I don't watch any videos on the site these days. I consume them as podcasts during my breaks at work or when I'm doing busy work at my house, or around town.

sirchode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#14  Edited By sirchode

Okay, a few things:

- I like when an app's full name fits under the icon. Perhaps consider a name change for the app, may I suggest calling it Duder?

- Take @ShaunassNZ up on their offer to get you a nice Whiskeyfied icon

- Also related to @ShaunassNZ's post, the login process does need to be hidden, I wasn't sure if I had done something wrong there while it was wigging out

- Might be cool to have a flashy main menu (where you pick which site to drill into). Perhaps an image split five ways (asterisk style) with each site's icon magnified in each section? Just thinking out loud

- In the list of videos, it would be nice to be able to just tap on the video and have it start playing. Perhaps create a global preference setting for Mobile/Low/High/HD (similar to what the mobile versions of the sites already do). On the right side of each entry in the video list you could put one of those arrows (>) which could lead to video details and description and whatnot. But if I just want to watch the video I'd like to be able to tap and go

- Would be nice if you turned the (<<) and (>>) buttons in the player to Skip Back and Skip Ahead buttons, similar to what Instacast does. It just scrubs 10 or 15 seconds in whichever direction you tap, and it would be nice to be able to do that in these videos as well 

- Being able to create a playlist (or just having it play another video when the current one ends (either random or sequential)) would also be sweet

Great work on this so far, though, keep it up!
soup_menu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By soup_menu

Thanks, everyone! I love getting feedback.

Regarding future plans, the number one thing I'd like to add is the ability to download videos. I have some ideas for how to go about it, but it's a non-trivial task and will likely take some time. Adding thumbnails is also on my to-do list, though it's a lower priority than downloads. That said, I may end up tackling it first since it should be substantially easier.

@Niall_Sg1: I found the bug that was preventing HD playback and have submitted an update. Thanks for reporting the issue!

@ShaunassNZ: It's been on my mind to change the icon to incorporate the Whiskey Media logo to sort of match the Android version, so I'm probably going to give that a go with the next release. I definitely appreciate your offer though!

@sirchode: That's a lot of suggestions! No promises, but I'll see what I can do.

sleeping143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sleeping143

The video playback is not working for some videos after the update. Mostly the ones that are over an hour long.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By hermes

Great work with the app.

I do have a suggestion, though: To be able to view the downloaded without having the device connected. Maybe having another icon in the dashboard besides the Whiskey Media ones. That is because most of the times I download a video is to see them later, so to need to be connected to a Wi-Fi to access it, or even having to search for it among the other videos of the site should not be required.

Hooded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hooded

Just downloaded the app, it seems pretty damn good, I wouldn't mind if I had to pay some towards it, whoever the funds went to. I have one comment, the icon is a bit generic. Other than that I think i'll be using this insted of the mobile website.

soup_menu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By soup_menu

@sleeping143: Would you mind providing a few more details? Stuff that would be helpful would be:

• What device you're using
  • How it's failing (Is there an error message? Does it try to load for a while or just fail instantly? etc)
  • What quality you're trying to play and if other quality settings fail as well
  • One or two specific videos that are failing

@hermes: This is regarding the Android version, correct? If so, you can view a list of downloaded video from the main menu by pressing your phone's menu button and select "Downloaded Videos". From there you can play or delete anything you've downloaded.

@Hooded: Thanks! I'm working on an update that will bring, among other things, a new icon. I'm hoping to be able to send it off for approval in the next couple of days.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#20  Edited By zidd

@soup_menu: is it possible to airplay video while my iPad is asleep like in Safari?

Hooded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hooded

@soup_menu: Amount the other requests, I would like to add the video being able to play in landscape when the iphone is held upside.

Imagine lying in bed watching a video holding the phone infront of your face and you turn on your side, the video will rotate but if you hold it one way it will stay how it is. I think Safari and many other apps added this, I find it pretty helpful when lying in bed watching videos.

soup_menu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By soup_menu

@Zidd: I'm not seeing a lot of information about what happens to AirPlay when the screen locks and, unfortunately, I don't have an Apple TV to test with. That said, I'd be happy to look into it as best I can. Can you let me know what model iPad and Apple TV you're using? I've also seen some reports that if you manually turn off the screen instead of letting it time out then the video will keep playing. Would you mind trying that?

@Hooded: Adding an option to lock rotation has been on my to-do list. I'll see if I can get it into the next release.

sleeping143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sleeping143
@soup_menu Sure thing!

1) iPhone 4 5.0.1
2) it tries to load for a few seconds before returning with a message "playback failed" and "Your device may not be capable of playing this file. Please try selecting a lower quality".
3) I would then try all the other quality settings but to no avail.
4) The recent TNT where they played cards against humanity and nfl blitz. Basically any videos that run for over an hour or so but specifically those stated above.

Hope this helps!
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Hizang

This is awesome, thanks duder!

wild_fire987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By wild_fire987

I use the Video Buddy all the time, it's fantastic! Great job duder!

applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By applet0n

Thanks for the app, duder! Loving it!

soup_menu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By soup_menu

Version 1.1 is now available!

• The biggest addition is that premium members can now download videos. Downloads can be started by hitting the save icon on the quality selection screen and managed from the download manager accessible from the main menu. Apple's policies governing multitasking preclude unrestricted background downloading, but Whiskey Media Video Buddy is able to continue for up to 10 minutes after the screen is turned off or you switch apps. If the downloads haven't finished when those 10 minutes are up they'll be paused and automatically resumed the next time you open WMVB.
  • Another change is that, by default, videos will play in landscape regardless of how the device is held. If you'd like videos to rotate with the device there's an option in the settings app.
  • Also new in this version are thumbnails in the video listings, an updated main menu, and a new app icon.

It didn't make it into this release, but I also have a fix that prevents AirPlay from stopping when the iOS device's screen locks. Another update that includes the fix should be available in about a week.

I hope you guys like it!

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By Enigma777

Oh hey, this is pretty snazzy, but I don't see the point when I have access to the mobile site. Though if I can download the videos, then it's a completely different matter.

Edit: Bah, I spoke too soon. Btw, you might want to edit the first post and put all then new changes.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MethodMan008

Awesome!

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MethodMan008

It would be cool if we could favorite videos, then those could be on the screen with the icons?

Hooded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hooded

Wow, nice update man!!

Pink_o_mat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pink_o_mat

Thank you for the great app!

iPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By iPliskin

Great app, looks kinda lame, basic, but it's functional. Also, it would be nice if you could log-in from inside the app and post comments.

iPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By iPliskin

Ok, this is not working. I log-in and select any video but after touching high, low or mobile the app closes and sends me to the desktop. I have the iShit device called iPad 2 and it's running iOS 5.0

soup_menu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By soup_menu

@iPliskin: Would you mind logging out in the app and trying to watch videos then? It's possible that there is an issue with free accounts.

Edit: I'm having trouble reproducing the crash, so I'm hoping to find a common thread among those affected by the issue. Could people who are running version 1.1 let me know the following?

1. Are you able to play video?
  2. Did you upgrade from 1.0.1 to 1.1 or start from 1.1?
  3. What iDevice are you using?
h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By h0lgr

This is amazing! Thank you for this, so much!
Tell me if you need art assets or something like that, just hit me up with a PM.
Again, thank you so much for this!

iPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By iPliskin

@soup_menu I logged out but still does the same thing, it crashes, i can't watch anything!.

soup_menu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By soup_menu

@iPliskin: Any chance you're running jailbroken or haven't picked up the iOS 5.0.1 update yet?

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BrockNRolla

@soup_menu said:

Additionally, paid Whiskey Media members can:

• Access the subscriber-only videos
  • Access HD streams for every video available
  • Download videos to watch later

If you have a paid account you can do this stuff already. So why would a paid subscriber want this?

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By Nux

Good news indeed.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By zidd

@soup_menu: I'm not actually using an AppleTV to get my airplay streams. I'm using this app on my PC http://funky-factory.blogspot.com/p/versionsinfo.html. if you got a spare PC or a copy of Windows on your mac you could run that. I'm running iOS 5.0.1 on an iPad 2 Wi-Fi 64GB. I will try letting the screen time out automatically and report back with this new version you've just released.

iPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By iPliskin

@soup_menu No, it's not jailbroken or anything like that and it's running 5.0 not 5.0.1

soup_menu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By soup_menu

@BrockNRolla: My goal with Whiskey Media Video Buddy isn't so much to let you do anything new, but rather to provide a more convenient way to access Whiskey Media's video content from your mobile device. For example, Mobile Safari's pretty good at streaming, but you can't use it to download videos to watch later. You could download videos to your computer and then use iTunes to sync them over, but then you're adding a separate computer to the mix. A podcatcher like Instacast could be paired with the RSS feeds to download videos without using iTunes, but then you can't access the back catalog.

Whiskey Media Video Buddy is there to try to make all of those use cases available through one app and to add some additional benefits like saving your progress and fast load times.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BrockNRolla

@soup_menu said:

@BrockNRolla: My goal with Whiskey Media Video Buddy isn't so much to let you do anything new, but rather to provide a more convenient way to access Whiskey Media's video content from your mobile device. For example, Mobile Safari's pretty good at streaming, but you can't use it to download videos to watch later. You could download videos to your computer and then use iTunes to sync them over, but then you're adding a separate computer to the mix. A podcatcher like Instacast could be paired with the RSS feeds to download videos without using iTunes, but then you can't access the back catalog.

Whiskey Media Video Buddy is there to try to make all of those use cases available through one app and to add some additional benefits like saving your progress and fast load times.

I see. I guess it hasn't been an issue for me since I don't use the Safari browser. Atomic Web Browser enables a lot of those things as well. This is free though, so that's great.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45  Edited By beargirl1

just watched an episode of TANG on it. this is so great. thank you so much! great job ^^

soup_menu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By soup_menu

@Zidd: Thanks for the link to Aerodrom. I ended up using AirServer to accomplish basically the same thing on my Mac. I'm pretty sure you'll still have issues with AirPlay in this version, but the next update (hopefully out next week) benefited from testing with AirServer and should have gotten AirPlay support up to snuff.

Since you mentioned that you're using an iPad 2, are you having any trouble playing videos after updating to version 1.1?

soup_menu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By soup_menu

@BrockNRolla: Cool, I hadn't heard of Atomic before. I'd encourage you to give Whiskey Media Video Buddy a try since, as you said, it's free, but if you prefer Atomic I certainly wouldn't hold it against you.

wild_fire987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By wild_fire987

I'm having the same problem of it crashing everytime I try to play a video as well, I had version 1.01 and it worked just fine but since I upgraded it crashes (I'm using an iPad 2 btw). Great app though, let me know if you need any other info!

soup_menu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By soup_menu

@wild_fire987: Thanks for the details! The one other piece of information that would be helpful is if you're running iOS 5.0 or 5.0.1. If you're on 5.0 and wouldn't mind upgrading I'd be very curious to know if that fixes it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soup_menu I'm having the same problems as @wild_fire987 worked fine until the recent update and now crashes immediately after choosing a video, iPad 2 running 5.0.1. It's a great app so I hope you figure this out.