Is 2017 officially THE best year in gaming history?

• 156 results
TVippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

To me, it is. All the planets somehow aligned.

The amount of good games that have already come out and, likely, will come out this year is astounding, to say the least.

I've been closely following the gaming industry since at least 2004 and to my memory this is the best year, at least in this 13 year period. Actually, as we all know, 2016 was supposed to be the year, but all the games got delayed into 2017 and now (I don't wanna jinx it) they seem to be actually coming out. Even games like Andromeda, that everybody was so sure will get pushed back. EACH MONTH we see GOTY contenders come out.

Does any other year come close? I remember 2010 having a lot of hits come out. If you gonna say "yes", please list as many good games from that year as you can.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It looks to be a very good year, but it's a bit early for this thread. If the entire holiday season sucks and there is nothing amazing to play I'd hesitate to still be excited about 2017. The first quarter of 2017 is definitely an extremely strong portion of the year though, you're right about that.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Fezrock

Until future notice, 1999 will remain the reigning champion:

Super Smash Bros, Silent Hill, FFVIII, FFVI (N.A. release), Sid Meier's Alpha Centuri, Everquest, Baldur's Gate, Counter-Strike, System Shock 2, Suikoden II, Homeworld, Age of Empires II, Chrono Cross, Quake III Arena, and Planescape Torment. And that's barely scratching the surface.

2017 does look like a really good one too though.

ETA: Actually 1998 may be even better (Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear Solid, Starcraft, etc.), but I prefer the 1999 releases personally.

JasonLeeson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By JasonLeeson

I loaded up the GB forums to post this very topic myself. If 2017 had a combo meter then, right now, it would be maxxed out.

No doubt the strongest 1st quarter of all time. Hopefully this keeps up but, hey man, even if it doesn't; plenty of super-high quality games to keep you going til winter.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Number of interesting games for me this year so far: 0.

So nah. 2016 with DOOM, Overwatch, Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2 and Devil Daggers though...

But seriously, it's been a good allround lineup so far except for shooters (and I don't we'll get that many big shooters this year anyway). Hopefully STRAFE will be good.

@fezrock: Mentioning Q3A and not Unreal Tournament? Bold. (although Q3A > UT99)

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if the fall games fell fresh than yeah, if the they by the same then no

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FateOfNever

No. Good lord no.

1998. Pokemon Red/Blue, Ocarina of Time, Banjo-Kazooie, Starcraft, Metal Gear Solid, Half-Life, Resident Evil 2, Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate, Grim Fandango, Xenogears, Suikoden 2, Marvel vs Capcom, Final Fantasy Tactics, Unreal, Star Ocean: The Second Story, Mega Man Legends, Dance Dance Revolution.

And that's just to name a few.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Of course not. Something subjective like this can't be qualified with the term 'official'.

2016 was the best year for videogames so far. If 2017 will be what I think it will be, it'll be even better for me. Way too early to tell of course. So far, I only have Nioh and Zelda that are great. That's a pretty great start, but if those remain the only two great games this year then it will be far worse than 2016.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#9  Edited By BeachThunder

Waaaay too early to make that call.

Anyway, let me tell you about 1993:

• Day of the Tentacle
  • Sam and Max Hit the Road
  • Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
  • Link's Awakening
  • Master of Orion
  • Myst
  • Doom
  • Mega Man X
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Duke Nukem II
  • etc...

TVippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big thanks to all who listed games!!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Almost any given year in the 90s begs to differ, but this year does have a chance to be preeeetty damn good.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

2017 is definitely one of the best ever already and does have likely the best 1st quarter ever.

It's not better than 98 though, most of the great games now are in comparatively fewer genres.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think it is shaping up well for sure. The only big game I'm dying for are Mass Effect , Red Dead 2, God of War (if it doesn't slip). I am looking forward to is smaller stuff like Vampyr and Detroit: Become Human too because I have always liked David Cage games on a few levels. As far as surprise, that I hope turn out well? An Insomniac Spider-Man game could be great if it doesn't she moves to next year.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundogan: Yeah, I should've mentioned UT. I guess that's my (very old) biases subconsciously coming back to me.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm of the opinion that games are much better now than they used to be. This year is off to an amazing start, I just hope it keeps up!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I wish I would have kept a log of all of the topics for the last 8 years declaring the current year the best and/or worst year in gaming history.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I think this is way too subjective, but I hope each year is the best year ever and these discussions can be had. 2015 was huge for me with Bloodborne, Witcher 3 and Mario Maker and I hope people can say that for themselves this year with what looks like a stellar slate of games :)

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Its certainly a heck of a start for 2017 to kick off this way with all the quality games that have came out, especially Japanese games (BOTW, Nioh, RE7, Yakuza 0 and Nier Automata coming out tomorrow). Is it the best year? We'll wait and see, but there are some very promising titles poised for release in 2017 like Super Mario Odyssey, Red Dead Redemption 2, Tekken 7, Shadow of War, Gran Turismo Sport and many more.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

It's definitely on pace , so far .

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, last year started just as strong and there was a wider variety of games. I think every year is the best year ever for gaming history.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its at least looking pretty darn incredible so far.

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if we get a remaster of the original NieR

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The officials have officially officiated it.

bson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's definitely the year of the consoles. Nioh, Horizon, Persona 5, Red Dead 2, (Zelda & Mario Odyssey for the switch). I've played more PS4 this year than I ever have since I got it some 2 years ago.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno, there's a reason most people have answered this question with 1998 since 1998.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta wait for Mario to come out bro.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't forget Destiny 2! Right guys? Guys?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ripelivejam

the only one i recognize as being sort of a drag semi recently is 2014, and even that had its share of gooduns. been a while since they came this hot and heavy, though.

but don't worry, we all already decided mass effect: andromeda will be terrible so that will break the streak.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#29 liquiddragon  Online

Do ppl think Mario Odyssey is actually coming out this year? I'm looking at that trailer and thinking there is no way.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's March. I mean, there's a lot of good games out now, and more to come, but let's pump the brakes and see what the rest of the year holds first. :) For all we know, all of the rest of the big anticipated releases this year could be, well, bad. Personally, I am super excited for both Mass Effect: Andromeda and whatever Destiny 2 is, but I also know that they could both fall way short of my expectations.

I agree it's been a real strong year so far, excitingly so, but we have 9 and 3/4 more months to go. :D

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By Justin258

Gotta let the other three quarters of the year go by before we can make that call, duder.

...but seriously, 1998 was such a landmark year in video games. You can still feel the influence that Half-Life, Ocarina of Time, and Metal Gear Solid had on video games, those games codified a lot of the storytelling and gameplay devices we take for granted these days. I don't think 2017 is going to be another year like that in video games, although I also think the medium has matured to a point where we won't see such a year again.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WRONG.

Everyone knows (or should know) the finest year in gaming history was the year Midtown Madness 3 came out.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It can't officially be the best year of anything. It isn't done. I don't know where this year will fit. Since 2015, we've been in a real, rich vein of quality. Indies are bringing some interesting projects to the table and the big hitters are swinging well.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know I'm gonna get some hate for this but I'm just gonna say it- I think 1998 was the best year for gaming

Hadoken101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, it's March. Still plenty of time for things to just fall to shit, best not to jinx it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wait a while and see how many people change their tunes on games like they always do.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are no games officials, so there can be no official best year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a48350594a61
deactivated-5a48350594a61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Density in game releases doesn't always mean a good year for games but I'd be lying if I said this year is off to a bad start....cause its not...its been fucking great so far.

Also it's hard to disagree with wynnduffy here...

WRONG.

Everyone knows (or should know) the finest year in gaming history was the year Midtown Madness 3 came out.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ripelivejam

@liquiddragon: that's gameplay and they showed a wide variety of locations/weird anthropromorphic people mannequins in new donk city. i have faith and we'll probably see more around weed3.

also more like midtown madness pee.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, Shenmue 3 and Bloodstained could still land this year and be tragic. I wish I could say something on Yooka-Laylee but time transpired against us. :(

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@frostyryan said:

I know I'm gonna get some hate for this but I'm just gonna say it- I think 1998 was the best year for gaming

Why would you get hate for that? I mean, of course people might not agree, but I don't think any sane person is gonna say that '98 isn't at least a contender for best year in gaming.

But, I digress. 2017 is certainly off to one hell of a start and Fall looks like it's shaping up to be a bloodbath as well...that is assuming they deliver of course. CoD is apparently "going back to it's roots," Assassin's Creed took some time off and is going to Egypt, and one would hope Bungie learned their lesson with Destiny 1 and that Destiny 2 will deliver on everything that the original promised and more. And don't forget about Red Dead. MvC Infinite, Mario, Divinity, Ace Combat, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, Yakuza Kiwami, and every other game supposedly scheduled for this year.

2017 is fucking absurd.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I will say it has been a very strong start for 2017.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#44 liquiddragon  Online

@ripelivejam: Right, I wasn't suggesting it wasn't gameplay and it certainly looks like an ambitious title but most of what they showed seemed like it needed a ton more work, definitely not something I expect to be released in 8-9 month. It's announcement reeked of a classic marketing tactic. "We got Zelda at launch and Mario right around the corner." Yeah...no. I've been on this ride too many times and I don't believe it for a second. If I was a betting man, we're looking at Spring '18 at the earliest but I'm leaning holiday '18. It looks cool though and I want to be wrong.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

For me, it was 2004. Nothing's beaten that so far. 1998 comes in second. 2007 was pretty amazing too

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@babychoochoo: Your lack of Andromeda-mentioning is jarring. It's as if you hate videogames all together.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's never been a better year to be pl

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WAAAAAY to early. It is poised to be one of the best years without a doubt just in the first few months, but 2004 and 1998 are hard to beat.

If the momentum does keep at this pace though I will absolutely consider it the best 12 month period in gaming, considering all the games people bring up in 1998 and 2004 were really just in the last 4 months.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The momentum for 2017 is much like the Atlanta falcons in the super bowl. First half is starting off ridiuclously well! However we all know what happened the second half....

But seriously. It's a good year!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By ajamafalous

It's the beginning of March my dude