Is cyberpunk finally coming back?

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jerseyscum

Mirrorshades. Megacorps. Black leather and black clinics. Any fan of Neuromancer, Blade Runner and Snow Crash has been itching and longing for some decent cyberpunk themed games....and it looks like my personal wish is being granted. I thought this genera was finally starting to die out, but it looks like more and more developers are dusting off their old William Gibson novels and bringing one of the coolest types of science-fiction back.

I never expected in a million years that I'd get another Deus Ex game. I got it and it was exactly what I wanted: Dark and unfriendly city streets, corporations running rampant and of course kick-ass cybernetic implants. People might expect that the 80's take on the dark near-future wouldn't be relevant in the year 2012. But in a society where technology is advancing at a faster and faster rate and growing gaps between the rich and poor make the Spawl in Neuromancer more and more relevant.

To make things even more awesome, we're getting a goddamn Cyberpunk RPG from the same guys who made The Witcher. I was personally not a big fan of that series, but I'm dying to see how this game turns out. I'd love to play a chromed-out badass in a leather coat and some dark sunglasses. Which have to be worn only at night of course. Or maybe a sexy razorgirl with retractable blades that pop right out of her knuckles? Or a sexy infiltrator/assassin with optic camouflage...something like the Major in Ghost in the Shell.

Anyone else as stoked as me that cyberpunk's coming back? All I need now is Konami to get off their asses and give me a Snatcher reboot and I'd be happy.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

I prefer my cyberpunk to be mad ugly, not sexy. But I think it's makign a comeback for sure. Or at least ramping up to one. Makes sense, considering the global economic/ socio-political climate these days. I say bring it on!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By TheHT

@MordeaniisChaos said:

I prefer my cyberpunk to be mad ugly, not sexy.

I'm hoping the CD Projekt Red game will fill that void. Parts of it anyway.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@TheHT said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

I prefer my cyberpunk to be mad ugly, not sexy.

I'm hoping the CD Projekt Red game will fill that void. Parts of it anyway.

They do a pretty good job of makin ugly stuff. But like, ugly in a good way.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#5  Edited By KillyDarko
@jerseyscum said:

I never expected in a million years that I'd get another Deus Ex game.

Same here, it was such a pleasant surprise-- that game was so good. As for Cyberpunk making a comeback, I really hope so, it's one of my favourite artistic sub-genres, as well as Steampunk (Dishonoured's got me covered there, hehe). Anyway, I can't wait to play whatever CDPR has got in store for us, as I'm pretty sure I'll love it :)
jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jerseyscum

@KillyDarko said:

@jerseyscum said:

I never expected in a million years that I'd get another Deus Ex game.

Same here, it was such a pleasant surprise-- that game was so good. As for Cyberpunk making a comeback, I really hope so, it's one of my favourite artistic sub-genres, as well as Steampunk (Dishonoured's got me covered there, hehe). Anyway, I can't wait to play whatever CDPR has got in store for us, as I'm pretty sure I'll love it :)

And a GOOD Deus Ex game at that! I was dreading another Invisible War.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

I like the idea of a Ghost in the Shell game, but I don't think a good one will ever happen.

Besides, I don't think any game could really emulate the brutality with which she beats the shit out of that guy in the water in the first movie.

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AnimalFather

I was cyberpunk too! I hate fantasy dungeons and dragons RPGs.

But you all should know that CD Projekts game is about 3-4years off.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kmdrkul

I've always loved my science fiction more hard boiled, be it in any medium. Consider me excited for whatever may be on the horizon, although I admit I'm a bit behind on this new game made by the Witcher devs. Does it have a title yet?

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Chummy8

@fuzzybunny566:

Exactly. Shadowrun Returns and a CD Projekt Cyberpunk game. I am so damn excited for those two games. I'd love it if a Cyberpunk RPG would come out that's a legitimate mystery. Make the whole game a detective story and I'll be in Cybernoir heaven. I like my Cyberpunk hard boiled.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jerseyscum
No Caption Provided

Seriously. Pick this up. The audiobook is fantastic (Read by Star Trek's own Will Wheaton!) and it's one of the best takes on high tech and low life in a LONG time. It's pure geeky bliss.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jerseyscum

Near-future, gritty and paranoid as hell. Nice!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f39c75856922
deactivated-5f39c75856922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Style seems to go a long way in video games for me. I was actually really impressed by the setup video that came before the Watch Dogs gameplay. It made me forget about all the corny presentations beforehand.

Edit: This is the one:

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Blackout62

It better be I just bought a knee length raincoat.

fang273

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fang273

That GURPS book is pretty good.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By fjordson

Shadowrun Returns and CD Projekt's Cyberpunk game are hopefully bringing it back in a big way. Bringing back that classic 80's style cyberpunk. Blade Runner, Neuromancer, and all that. Love it.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By EquitasInvictus

Now that I think of it, I'd love to see something like Gemini Rue on the engine that Watch_Dogs is running on!

But yeah I think cyberpunk is definitely coming back. Like steampunk recently had it's own little comeback, if I remember correctly.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#19  Edited By sammo21

When I think cyberpunk I don't think sexy or good looking. I don't kmow that it is coming "back" really...there haven't been that many new games announced in that genre.