Is it bad that consoles might be dead in japan

• 61 results
amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

@fisk0: Watching movies on a tablet is a miserable experience though.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#52  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@amafi: If you want the best possible experience you'd probably watch it in theaters. Is the TV movie experience that much better than watching it on a tablet to warrant buying a TV for that purpose alone?

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#53  Edited By amafi

@fisk0: Best experience is absolutely at home with a decent home theater setup and a decent TV and a good couch. And no strangers fucking around with bags of snacks and their phones for two hours.
Going to the movies is a sure fire way of ruining my day.

And I'd say so, absolutely. It's what I did. I don't get any TV signals into my place at all. Haven't had any TV in over a decade, but I keep a television here for my Playstations, the PC and video streaming services, etc.
I'm sure you can do what I did in sweden. I paid about NOK 500 to rip all the tv bits out so that it's just a 40" monitor and I don't have to pay the license.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@fisk0: In contrast, Brits are apparently sitting down together to watch TV more. The thing with using tablets or other things as gaming, TV or whatever platforms is that its all a secondary function and, therefore, rarely good enough.

I watch precisely no TV these days but my TV is by no means redundant. I use it mainly to game. You give me the option to play games on decent-sized flatscreen, I'll take it.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@fisk0 said:

All this talk about hooking stuff up to your TV - isn't TV pretty much dying too? People these days really don't seem to watch a lot of TV, most TV channels, at least in Sweden (and I think most of Europe) have phone apps where you can watch their stuff. In Sweden there's been a steady decline of household TV sets, and since our public broadcasting is funded with licenses from each household with TV sets, the state attempted to expand the fee to include all owners of home computers and smart phones (this was challenged and rejected in court earlier this year though).

I'm pretty sure the entire thing of having a TV set in your living room is on the decline. Probably gonna happen slowly over the course of decades, and most will likely keep their TV sets until they break, but I have a hard time seeing kids growing up today seeing acquiring a TV set of their own as a priority when they move out from their parents.

Sure, people use their TV's to watch Netflix and stuff like that, but at some point I'm sure most will consider the TV an unnecessary expense when they can just as well watch Netflix on their tablet.

TV still has it's place as background noise now for when families are hanging out in the living room with their tablets/phones. Most channels in Sweden have streaming counterparts, but they're probably still streamed through Smart TV apps or Airplay/Chromecast like tech, to the big screen.

I agree on the TV part not being as important to kids in the future though. But it's kind of hard to see that far into the future, and how their social interactions will work then. Maybe we'll all be hooked up to oculus rift/google glass kind of headsets through or phones about then.

... Maybe we don't even need to visit each other then. Maybe we don't even need homes.

Loading Video...

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 fisk0  Moderator

@amafi: Huh, that's an interesting way to do it. Not entirely sure if that would work here, but it's possible, I guess.

@shindig: That's interesting, I wonder what's causing those differences. I'm sure the UK in general has higher quality TV, and maybe more access to American stuff closer to when it originally airs (for example the Swedish broadcasts of Game of Thrones are one season behind the US), but even then I'm surprised to hear about actual increases in TV viewing.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@fisk0 said:

@shindig: That's interesting, I wonder what's causing those differences. I'm sure the UK in general has higher quality TV, and maybe more access to American stuff closer to when it originally airs (for example the Swedish broadcasts of Game of Thrones are one season behind the US), but even then I'm surprised to hear about actual increases in TV viewing.

The Game of Thrones argument is kind of interesting though, as HBO has been really agressive about their streaming service making Swedish localized versions their episodes available within the same 24hours. Not to mention how easy it is for people in our age to get a pirated copy with community created subtitles.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 fisk0  Moderator

@guanophobic: I guess I haven't kept up with HBO Nordic's streaming stuff. I heard it was a mess at launch, especially if you wanted to end your subscription, so I never really looked into it.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By Flappy

@monkeyking1969: The people want waifus and they don't want to rely on mobile gaming to get them.

Well, that and the desire to play JRPGs and other quirky titles on a big screen. Mobile gaming is raking in the big bucks and if certain developers(Atlus, for example) ditched the console market and switched to a mobile-friendly approach, the internet would melt.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@ronniecolemanmro: hmm i think whne kh3 come (maybe in 2018) we will see japan care about consoles

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#61  Edited By monkeyking1969

@flappy said:

@monkeyking1969: The people want waifus and they don't want to rely on mobile gaming to get them.

But, that's not the question. The question is, "Is it bad that [home] consoles might be dead in japan?" To that I say, no because if home consoles totally stopping use/production in Japan changes nothing for the rest of the world.

Saying, "I want this game or that game" is just like me saying I want Mass Effect 4 with 200 hours of dialogue." ....Well, it is nice to want things; but wanting something and not getting it easily isn't the end of the world.