Avatar image for mrcleantrousers
MrCleanTrousers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MrCleanTrousers

It's €10 on Steam... can it be enjoyed in a post Skyrim world?

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By EarlessShrimp

I would say yes, because it has so many mods that it can, in some ways, be much better and more in depth than skyrim. I would highly recommend it. It's morrowind, what's not to like?

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By BonOrbitz

Tough call for me. I don't think I could go back after watching Dave and Ryan play the game (loaded with mods) the morning Skyrim came out. Heck, I'm doubting myself going back to Oblivion after Skyrim and that's one of my favorite games of all time.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By AndrewB

It depends wildly on your nostalgia and your tolerance for game design principles of olde.

I'd probably say no, because even as someone who *loves* that game, I find it tough to go back to without drastically modding the game. Specifically, it's the lack of full voice acting and the kind of lop-sided leveling system.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Arabes

Do you love Skyrim, Oblivion etc and do you love playing retro games from that era? If not, then no, don't play it.

Avatar image for mrcleantrousers
MrCleanTrousers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrCleanTrousers

I should clarify. I've only played Skyrim and Oblivion, but I love the Elder Scrolls lore (don't judge me). Is it worth dealing with the dated gameplay/tehnical part of it to experience the story/universe?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind

In my opinion, it's still vastly superior to Oblivion and Skyrim, but it is somewhat dated in places. Don't expect the casual difficulty levels or hand-holdy tutorials and quests.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By FreakAche

@MrCleanTrousers: Go for it. I've said this here before, but I think in a lot of ways, Morrowind has actually aged better than Oblivion somehow.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Deranged

Eh, it's all about what you want. I was completely BLOWN away by Oblivion's world, Skyrim was good too but too much open area's. Morrowind definitely deserves a go.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By dagas

I didn't even like Morrowind back in the day. There is no waypoint system so finding where to go can be really tricky when a quest says something like "a cave north of town x". the combat system is really annoying as hitting an enemy doesn't mean you actually hit them unless the dice says you did which means a lot of arrows just goes through enemies without a hit at least early on with low stats. Besides that it's a great game. I had fun for a while just exploring the world, but I got bored since I couldn't find a certain cave I needed to find for a quest you get early on so I never did any questing.

Although a lot of my issues might have been that it was my first WRPG and playing FF and such games didn't prepare me for a deep hardcore RPG like Morrowind. Also I had it on XBOX with crazy loading times and never played the expansions. Still it's not a game like Oblivion or Skyrim, it's so much more hardcore and old school than that.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By TheCreamFilling

Morrowind, not really. Bloodmoon, hell yes!

RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By RavenX302

To me, Morrowind was one of my very, very few truly magical experiences in games. Not to sound too ridiculous, but it completely transcended every other game at the time to me. Saying that, it is very hard to explain to someone who hasn't played it when it was fresh, why it was/is so great as there is some serious issues with that game. Regardless if you think it is the best out of the recent elder scrolls game (nostalgia unfortunately clouds everyone's opinions a bit) It is most certainly the most interesting World out of all the ES games.

And having to walk across the entire frigging map just to talk to someone and then be told to basically walk all the way back while trying to survive those fucking flying dinosaur things and sometimes sand storms, really makes it feel like to have accomplished something once you've rolled into town . Something you just can't appreciate from Oblivion and Skyrim due to the quick travel, but also the relative ease of both. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing, but it's certainly different and unique.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BrockNRolla

It's an old game. Expect a lot of old jank.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By benspyda

I went back and played Oblivion after Skyrim and didn't enjoy it that much. Although Skyrim's combat isn't amazing it's leagues ahead of Oblivion and Morrowind.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By AndrewB

@MrCleanTrousers said:

I should clarify. I've only played Skyrim and Oblivion, but I love the Elder Scrolls lore (don't judge me). Is it worth dealing with the dated gameplay/tehnical part of it to experience the story/universe?

If you don't mind a boatload of reading, then yes. I love the story in Morrowind, which is alluded to quite a bit in Skyrim.

corruptsaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By corruptsaves
Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you can levitate

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By BaneFireLord

Mods make it worthwhile. Vanilla, not so much.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By penguindust

@BaneFireLord said:

Mods make it worthwhile. Vanilla, not so much.

Exactly. There are quite a few graphic improvement mods out there that make it look better. Not Skyrim better but Oblivion better. Check the Nexus for them. Morrowind is a much more alien world than in Oblivion or Skyrim.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By stryker1121

@MrCleanTrousers: I've been playing an un-modded version of GOTY Morrowind periodically for the last year and am loving it after having never played before. MW has more customization than Skryrim or Oblivion, a better storyline than either and a very interesting art style. I like all three games very much, but I'd go back to MW before Oblivion, as the latter is too much like Skyrim.