Is the film industry infiltrating the game industry?

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Emilio

What do you think? Serious question. Think about it. 

You should look at what WB, Paramount, and Disney have been doing. 
But the film industry in the video game industry isn't something new... I think Universal (I believe to be dead) and Fox (sold to Activision Blizzard) made or published a few titles back in the day. 

I'm mostly interested in what WB has been doing. They had some form of team up with Midway during the Mortal Kombat vs DC failure, and now that Midway is kaput, WB magically came to sweep up all their "strategically profitable" IPs. Expect lots of new Warner Bros. produced video game films, merchandise, and games based on the movies that are based on the games. 

But really, this is all in my imagination. Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Brockly46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Brockly46

I wouldnt say its your imagination, its just another way for them to make a buck.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By iam3green

maybe, new games from movies, epic mickey. that game looks like it is going to be good and is made based off of  a disney film. there might be new games coming out from movies. it is just alright, it is making more people into playing video games. thus, making more games go casual.

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By Artie
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Emilio
@Artie said:
" Old news: The same five companies own everything.  So it's not really "the movie industry" "
Yeah, this should be common knowledge, but I mean, like not everyone in the film biz is making video games, y'know? 
I'm really interested in what people would think if I told them that Microsoft was selling out the gamer to these people and the mass media market like advertisers of soft drinks, fast food, and grooming products. 

Like, I'm really interested to hear on what people think of Warner Bros. buying up a bunch of game devs and stuff, and monopolizing things like Lord of the Rings games (New Line Cinema aka Warner Bros) and Harry Potter games (Warner Bros). 
Especially since TimeWarner bought up Traveller's Tales, the makers of the LEGO series of games. 

I can very much expect to see LEGO Lord of the Rings or something like that coming soon. More Harry Potter games by only EA and WB Interactive, and so on.
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Brians
@Emilio:  Games are expensive, more expensive yearly. Those big corporations want our sweet sweet money. A lot of them aren't getting it. Of course they are going to pursue industry where they can take our money. It's both common sense and Capitalism at work. Maybe if you watched more American Idol those companies wouldn't be so concerned at the large and very lucrative market that has started to shun them.
Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lowbrow

No more than it has been for the past 30 years?

The only difference is "entertainment" companies, who used to focus on shit like movies and television are getting more and more interested in videogames since, you know, the industry pretty much spits money out like a volcano if you do it right.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By penguindust

Time Warner (Warner Communications at the time) bought Atari in 1976...I think this has been going on for a while.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks

As the Penguin says, It's been happening for a while, it's definitely not something new, this merging is natural and to be expected. 

On another note, In recent years there's also been a notable uptake in cross migration of professionals in both industries. There are many developers who are head hunting young upcoming professionals in the film industry. On the flip side, the big film houses are looking for those skilled in CGI effects so they can do things on the cheap in-house, because hiring companies like ILM to work on film projects is a very costly affair. 

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By super_machine

The film industry just wants more control over their IP. In the new age of interactive media, a movie can live in books, toys, TV, and video games. Studios realize if they develop IPs that can go beyond the silver screen, they can maximize their profits.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By super_machine
@Linkyshinks said:
" As the Penguin says, It's been happening for a while, it's definitely not something new, this merging is natural and to be expected.  On another note, In recent years there's also been a notable uptake in cross migration of professionals in both industries. There are many developers who are head hunting young upcoming professionals in the film industry. On the flip side, the big film houses are looking for those skilled in CGI effects so they can do things on the cheap in-house, because hiring companies like ILM to work on film projects is a very costly affair.  "
Yeah, I can tell you first hand that the big studios are really holding back on the money spent on VFX. Today is all about finding the lowest bidding vendor and making them work a hundreds of hours, no days off, with the shortest deadline possible. This is my current hell.