John Davison Named VP for Games and Metacritic at CBS Interactive

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By fjordson

My thread title is a bit off I think. Quote states "Vice President of Programming for Games and Metacritic". Sorry for missing that.

SAN FRANCISCO - September 7, 2010 - GameSpot, the leading source for gaming information online and a property of CBS Interactive Inc., today announced that John Davison has been named Vice President of Programming for Games and Metacritic, CBS Corporation.

Davison will oversee programming strategy for GameSpot, Metacritic and GameFAQs and work closely with Ricardo Torres, Editor in Chief of GameSpot, and Marc Doyle, Editor and Co-founder of Metacritic, to expand the sites' content and develop their brands in the coming years.

"A programming executive of John's caliber brings tremendous talent and experience to our team," said Simon Whitcombe, Vice President, Games. "We have opportunities to develop our brands extensively in the near future and John will add significant power to our abilities to capitalize on them."

Davison comes to GameSpot with nearly 20 years of experience managing content and working on multiple print and online brands. He was most recently Executive Vice President of Content at IDG's GamePro, which saw growth in traffic and user engagement after he revitalized the 20-year-old brand for a modern audience.

Prior to GamePro, Davison defined a new category of video games media in 2007 as co-founder and President of What They Play. The site brought issues related to video games and parenting to a national audience and won a Parents Choice Award in 2009. Before What They Play, Davison was Senior Vice President in charge of Content for the Ziff Davis Media Game Group, transitioning the editorial team's content strategy from print to online. 

Original article

Damn. That's quite a bit of "stuff". I'll definitely be interested to see what he does with Metacritic, if he does anything at all. If I remember correctly he's expressed some distaste towards Metacritic in the past, but I could be wrong.
mankyscotsgit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By mankyscotsgit

Yeah should be interesting. By all accounts he did a good job at Gamepro so wonder what he has planned for Gamespot. On the old 1UP podcasts I'm sure he was pretty critical of Metacritic but I can't see him doing anything too radical with them now he's the man in charge

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Mrnitropb

Maybe he can un-fuck gamefaqs?

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Branthog

Isn't he the host of Hollywood Squares?

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking

GameFAQs needs a makeover.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ravensword

Great, now that means Gamepro will be garbage again. Glad I didnt subscribe after all.
Battletoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Battletoad

I never liked the guy, I thought EGM took a turn for the worst on his watch, I couldn't stand him when he was on 1up's podcast, was completely uninterested in What They Play, and it's news to me that Gamepro is no longer shitty thanks to his very brief time in charge of that rag. 

I will give him credit for continually acing job interviews, though. The guy is really good at quitting one job and immediately having something new lined up.
myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By myke_tuna
@Battletoad:  I'm the complete opposite. I think John has some talent. And them dulcet British tones on 1UP Yours lulled me to sleep plenty of times.
Battletoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Battletoad

To each his own. Apparently you are not alone, the man continually finds work. He just seems like a jerk to me, and  IMO leaves companies worse off than they were before he started  running them.
mankyscotsgit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mankyscotsgit

Me too. Going back even further, PC Zone magazine here in the UK was always a great read when he was in charge of it.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By fjordson
@myketuna: Agreed. He's great. His work at Gamepro was especially impressive.
sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#12  Edited By sarahsdad

Good for him. I don't generally go to those sites, but I liked him on the 1up podcast, and on the What They Play site. Hopefully he'll be a good fit for them.

Avatar image for theblindchessman
TheBlindChessman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheBlindChessman

I always liked him on 1up Yours and was a huge fan of what he did with GamePro, I'll start visiting Gamespot and Gamefaqs now to see if he can do anything with them.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Nephrahim

WHAT? 

Dude, I love John Davison, and I do hope he can make these things suck less but...  what?!