Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Oilers99
Video_Game_King said:
"Oilers99 said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"Mercator said:
"JRPGs are the worst RPGs."
*glares at you* You have made an enemy. Notice the title of the song. SO I DECREE!!!"
VGK, if you decide to make an enemy of every single person who makes a blanket statement like that, you shall be a single man against a small army within a week. :P
Keep in mind that I'm a king. You know what that means? I can sentence them to death by hanging and guillotine. Simultaneously. (My kingdom has that kind of technology.)"
Sideways guillotines? Cool. Sign me up!
ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By ThePhenomenal1

so why don't people just fuckin like rpgs in general and leave it alone? god this argument is stupid.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#103  Edited By Video_Game_King
Oilers99 said:
Sideways guillotines? Cool. Sign me up!"
OK, as soon as our scientists invent sideways guillotines. Oh, it's ready. *executes you with it* Anybody else? Anybody else wanna step up and say something stupid like "JRPGs are the true RPG genre" or "JRPGs are crap"?
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#104  Edited By BiggerBomb
ThePhenomenal1 said:
"so why don't people just fuckin like rpgs in general and leave it alone? god this argument is stupid."

ThePhenomenal1, I would like you to meet an acquaintance of mine; Internet. Internet, this is ThePhenomenal1. ThePhenomenal1, this is Internet. Good, now that you've introduced yourselves, it's time for you two to sit down and learn what's what.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#105  Edited By LiquidPrince
Meowayne said:
""
 What does V have to do with anything?
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Oilers99
Video_Game_King said:
"Oilers99 said:
OK, as soon as our scientists invent sideways guillotines. Oh, it's ready. *executes you with it* Anybody else? Anybody else wanna step up and say something stupid like "JRPGs are the true RPG genre" or "JRPGs are crap"?"
Luckily, I can type without my head. But might I point out that I wasn't the one who said such things, and that I'm an ardent fan of JRPGs in general?

*Grabs head, puts it back on, mutters angrily as he sows it back on*
lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#107  Edited By lamegame621

This seems like a pointless argument.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#108  Edited By raven_squad

Though I disagree that the'yre the only true RPGs, I personally feel they're the only RPGs worth playing. WRPGs have a nasty tendency to be boring as fuck. 

Avatar image for rectum_abominae
rectum_abominae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By rectum_abominae

It's extremely important that we quibble about genres.  Without clearly defined genres, you don't have creativity.  If everyone was allowed to make any kind of game they wanted to, whether it fits the mold of a certain genre or not, we'd just have chaos.  Chaos is bad.  I can't stand chaos.

ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By ThePhenomenal1
BiggerBomb said:
"ThePhenomenal1 said:
"so why don't people just fuckin like rpgs in general and leave it alone? god this argument is stupid."
ThePhenomenal1, I would like you to meet an acquaintance of mine; Internet. Internet, this is ThePhenomenal1. ThePhenomenal1, this is Internet. Good, now that you've introduced yourselves, it's time for you two to sit down and learn what's what."
and what are you trying to get at? your joke didn't work out to well.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#111  Edited By raven_squad
ThePhenomenal1 said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"ThePhenomenal1 said:
ThePhenomenal1, I would like you to meet an acquaintance of mine; Internet. Internet, this is ThePhenomenal1. ThePhenomenal1, this is Internet. Good, now that you've introduced yourselves, it's time for you two to sit down and learn what's what."
and what are you trying to get at? your joke didn't work out to well."
Dude... seriously? He's basically saying that everyone argues about everything on the internet. Whether it be rational or intelligent is beside the point.  
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#112  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

You know though, I like JRPGs more than WRPGs in general, but in reality, WRPGs are more of a role playing game and tied to the pen and paper roots.
JRPGs are more of heavily story driven turn based games with a goal set on making a universe.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#113  Edited By Video_Game_King
Oilers99 said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"Oilers99 said:
OK, as soon as our scientists invent sideways guillotines. Oh, it's ready. *executes you with it* Anybody else? Anybody else wanna step up and say something stupid like "JRPGs are the true RPG genre" or "JRPGs are crap"?"
Luckily, I can type without my head. But might I point out that I wasn't the one who said such things, and that I'm an ardent fan of JRPGs in general?*Grabs head, puts it back on, mutters angrily as he sows it back on*"
:O! Chocobo Man! I never thought it possible! And no, you cant' point it out, because I sawed off your hands.
NinjaSquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#114  Edited By NinjaSquirrel

Ever played Final Fantasy 1? That game is basically a super-straight forward version of DnD and Ultima. JRPGs are pretty much completely started by DnD which is from america. I feel like the only TRUE RPGs are games like KOTOR and Oblivion and Fallout 3 and NWN 2 where you can basically define what your character is like, instead of you just playing as "Cloud Strife" or "Charlie Tunoku". And who thinks that Zelda is an RPG?

Calidreth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#115  Edited By Calidreth

I personally believe that MMO's are the only true RPG.  It is the only part of the genre that truly lets you define your character.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By AgentofChaos
iAmJohn said:
"Who gives a shit."
Amen.
LAMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#117  Edited By LAMP

When everyone here is middle aged, they will remember when they posted on message boards, and a great shame shall overwhelm them all.

It's up to you to decide what to do with that shame.
MutieLover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#118  Edited By MutieLover

I always find it funny when people rag on JRPGs for having the androgynous lead character and all the other stereotypical trappings when 90 % of Western RPGs are Lord of the Rings clones. Its a bit of the pot calling the kettle black.

The biggest thing difference b/w WRPG and JRPG is the approach to  characters. In western RPGs the emphasis is having the freedom to do what you want, but the character is more of an avatar for the player than a character in of itself. In Japanese RPGs the emphasis is on identifying with a character/s but to do so you have to essentially put the game on a track, guiding him from point a to b with side quests adding mostly minor diversions from the main quest.

The thing that makes both RPGs the the weight that stats has on playing a game. You have to carefully juggle the armor, weapon stats and account for every scenario that would affect your hit/defense percentages.

All that was speaking in broad terms and of course there are a lot of variations in both western and Japanese style RPGs.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By pause422

JRPG's and WRPGs are different genres I would say...but this TC is either a troll, or lacks a large amount of intelligence if you think JRPGs are the only RPGs. Also, Zelda isn't an RPG...and the mass isn't claiming it ever was. This entire thread is just a failure. Move on.