Kotaku's commenting system sucks

walreese55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By walreese55

i read kotaku pretty regularly cause i have an unhealthy need for video game information. it's commeting system was actaully pretty lively before they began to promote starred readers above unstarred readers. if you don't know what i mean, check out any article on kotaku. anyway, in the last day, i have seen people get destarred just for publishing opinions that are negative to kotaku. It was constructive criticism too. That really bugged me. the "mods" on the website are editors of the site. I've been on giant bomb since 08 and I can't imagine someone getting demoted or have their comment erased for saying "jeff should make shorter articles" or something along those lines. have any of you guys been on sites with super-harsh/fascist mods?

RiddleBrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By RiddleBrother

yeah, you're right, all of the gawker media sites are really out-dated.

j_meyer_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By j_meyer_13

I am a super-harsh/fascist mod.

But seriously... I'm actually a really lax mod on a more-or-less dead forum.  Hell, I don't even visit it, don't want to talk to anyone there anymore.  But, one of the other mods on there was pretty harsh, as was one of the admins...

And then there's the saga of the Infinity Ward forums after CharlieOscarDelta got consolidated.  Anyone else from GB in on that? 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

I like the way the comments are placed together. You see a beginning and an end to the comment discussions. I've seen plenty of negative comments toward Kotaku, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

gannon16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By gannon16

I agree with you. I remember reading a comment a few days ago from some guy who said something negative about an article (in a polite manner) and he had his star taken from him. I haven't really been on other websites that are as strict as Kotaku. The whole star commenter thing on Kotaku is dumb.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By trophyhunter

if you don't like harsh mods don't go to animevice. 
in the battles forum I said  "this guy could kick that guy's ass." 
and they banned me for saying the word "ass"

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Andorski

I don't really read (much less use) the Kotaku commenting system, but I remember a guy calling out Stephen Totilo on one of his articles, saying that his focus on gaming is irrelevant and brings down game journalism as a whole.  Stephen Totilo promoted his comment.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By AgentofChaos
@Andorski said:
" I don't really read (much less use) the Kotaku commenting system, but I remember a guy calling out Stephen Totilo on one of his articles, saying that his focus on gaming is irrelevant and brings down game journalism as a whole.  Stephen Totilo promoted his comment. "
Oh is their anything crazy Totilo won't do?
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iam3green

a lot of commenting system sucks. youtube comes to mind a lot. people are just trolls on youtube.  i see people's comment saying like o wow i like this video. it is set to spam.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Three0neFive
@brainboy77 said:

" i read kotaku pretty regularly cause i have an unhealthy need for video game information. it's commeting system was actaully pretty lively before they began to promote starred readers above unstarred readers. if you don't know what i mean, check out any article on kotaku. anyway, in the last day, i have seen people get destarred just for publishing opinions that are negative to kotaku. It was constructive criticism too. That really bugged me. the "mods" on the website are editors of the site. I've been on giant bomb since 08 and I can't imagine someone getting demoted or have their comment erased for saying "jeff should make shorter articles" or something along those lines. have any of you guys been on sites with super-harsh/fascist mods? "

Yeah, it's usually Luke who unstars people for voicing an opinion he doesn't agree with. Pretty shitty. Don't get me wrong, the majority of the community still rocks*, but it seems the staff are overly defensive and can be pretty big dicks (tim basically told someone to fuck off in the comments once because people thought his article was too long).

*Come check out our steam group; the chats always active, we have TF2 pretty much every night, and various other events throughout the week.   http://steamcommunity.com/groups/kotakuites
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#11  Edited By sjschmidt93

GIANT BOMB'S STAFF ARE DOUCHEBAGS!

Let's see if I get banned. LET'S SEE!

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Slippy

Step 1 -  Don't scroll down into that gawking loser section. 

Step 2, the better step - Don't visit Kotaku.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Claude
@Slippy said:
" Step 1 -  Don't scroll down into that gawking loser section.  Step 2, the better step - Don't visit Kotaku. "
Kotaku is fine, and I've learned many things from the community's comments. Why so mean?
Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Slippy
@Claude:  

Their 'news' is laughable. Outright lies, rumours posted as truth, negative spins, slow reporting (hence "Slowtaku"), and stealing 'exclusives' from forums. I don't like their reporters either as each has a blatantly obvious bias - for example, the constant PS3 bashing from Ashcraft totally turned me off the site. And from what I gather, the comments section attracts as many asshats as any other site.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Claude
@Slippy said:
" @Claude:   Their 'news' is laughable. Outright lies, rumours posted as truth, negative spins, slow reporting (hence "Slowtaku"), and stealing 'exclusives' from forums. I don't like their reporters either as each has a blatantly obvious bias - for example, the constant PS3 bashing from Ashcraft totally turned me off the site. And from what I gather, the comments section attracts as many asshats as any other site. "
Your points are true, but I look at Kotaku as pure entertainment, quantity over quality is what I like. They are enthusiast journalism at its best.

The community is what I like most, but some posts die a hard death in the comments be it from the source or through community. But in some, I learn more than I knew. I just take the good with the bad. 

I frequent Kotaku as much as I do Giant Bomb. I'm open, so I click others often and at least they always have something new.

No Caption Provided

I love reading this shit.
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I agree.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@trophyhunter said:

and they banned me for saying the word "ass" "

That is really unfortunate, dude. :)

I thought accounts on Whiskey Media sites were linked.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By trophyhunter
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" @trophyhunter said:

and they banned me for saying the word "ass" "

That is really unfortunate, dude. :)  I thought accounts on Whiskey Media sites were linked. "
nope jeff actually said that linked accounts was a stupid idea
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@trophyhunter said:
nope jeff actually said that linked accounts was a stupid idea "
Jeff is right. Linked accounts are a stupid idea, but that doesn't stop a whole lot of other networks from having them. Gawker, for one. And I'm sure we could think of others.

Oh, and waiting for your account to be verified? Also dumb. I waited for about two weeks with Gawker. And I applied to NeoGAF about a year ago. Still no response, which is pretty common I hear. But that's okay, because I find these forums to not only be some of the most easy going and easy to use, but also amongst the most courteous I've used. Thumbs up for Giant Bomb.

Now all they need is a Giant Bomb militia. You didn't hear it from me, though.
idofriar1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By idofriar1313

Dude, Kotaku just sucks in general. You get starred for being a troll/fanboy/kotakuite

They're disgustingly bias and twist the news to fit their own agenda. Just ugh...

walreese55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By walreese55
@Andorski: That's funny because totilo was the dickhole who destarred this guy for saying he didn't like the article.