Lament and Purchase Justification for owning my PS3.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By ravensword

for the past 3 years or whatever that I have owned a PS3 I have constantly gone through a cycle of lament about wether or not I should have really boughten it. Maybe its that I hate thinking that 360 is some standard bullshit that you always need to demo on it, always need to show it in videos and always need to show that version being streamed if oyu do that kinda stuff because its some kind of freakin standard today as opposed to the other console. Again, I paid 600 @#$% ass dollars for a console and naturaly im jaded and thinkin everyone is either bias or against it when I constantly see it the other console either being the version that is demoed on sites or its the one that seems to not be focused or stuff like that. Maybe its that I hate how much SONY has fallen since PS2 in the view of the industry.

Also, keep in mind that from 2007-mid 2009 I got hammered with anti PS3 bullshit that probaly left a dent on how I view the syestem and probaly had me develop buyers remorse. How would you feel if you paid 600 dollars and you had a well known dev (Gabe Newell) call it a waste of time and basicaly said I was stupid for buying it, seeing all the PS3 doomsday articles, and shit like that for like 3 years straight and some of that is still happening today. Naturaly you would probaly question your purchase. Were so used to seeing PS3 being the industry whipping boy that I think we (and I myself) have accepted it. 

Im in this spiral of trying to justify my expensive purchase, having buyers remorse because the majority dosent seem to like it as much as the other, cheaper console, and the majority of multiplatform games underperform on it. I asked this question on the podcast talk radar on their phonecalls segment and they said that "back in teh day, 360 was the lead console, meaning thats the console they dev first on, but until very recently that no longer is the case" and "the main thing is Live and all that, adn are you really going to notice those differences when the game is going at X speed?" basicaly saying that it isnt that big of a deal anymore and things have chnged, but after seeing that Mafia 2 crap on PS3, I think what they said was kinda a lie, or maybe not a lie because thats what they thought, but certainly a inaccuracey or they were wrong. and they said its not a big deal, but chances are they probaly would play the game on 360 not out of bias, but due to Live and Points and all that, so really their not that exposed to it enough to develop a sense of noticing a trend of faults in PS3 versions of games.

things have gotten better for PS3 I guess, but nothing really has changed that much. PS3 had the worse multipaltforms back in 2007, they had the worse online in 2007, and its not mainstream enough to warrent sites or devs using it as showcasing demos or videos using its version. And all of this is true today even in the year 2010. Also, 360 is still outselling PS3 adn has more sold, and if the 360 sales surge keeps up, I dont think that gap will EVER close and even if it does, I think 360 will still be considered a bigger success then PS3 this gen.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ravensword

for the past 3 years or whatever that I have owned a PS3 I have constantly gone through a cycle of lament about wether or not I should have really boughten it. Maybe its that I hate thinking that 360 is some standard bullshit that you always need to demo on it, always need to show it in videos and always need to show that version being streamed if oyu do that kinda stuff because its some kind of freakin standard today as opposed to the other console. Again, I paid 600 @#$% ass dollars for a console and naturaly im jaded and thinkin everyone is either bias or against it when I constantly see it the other console either being the version that is demoed on sites or its the one that seems to not be focused or stuff like that. Maybe its that I hate how much SONY has fallen since PS2 in the view of the industry.

Also, keep in mind that from 2007-mid 2009 I got hammered with anti PS3 bullshit that probaly left a dent on how I view the syestem and probaly had me develop buyers remorse. How would you feel if you paid 600 dollars and you had a well known dev (Gabe Newell) call it a waste of time and basicaly said I was stupid for buying it, seeing all the PS3 doomsday articles, and shit like that for like 3 years straight and some of that is still happening today. Naturaly you would probaly question your purchase. Were so used to seeing PS3 being the industry whipping boy that I think we (and I myself) have accepted it. 

Im in this spiral of trying to justify my expensive purchase, having buyers remorse because the majority dosent seem to like it as much as the other, cheaper console, and the majority of multiplatform games underperform on it. I asked this question on the podcast talk radar on their phonecalls segment and they said that "back in teh day, 360 was the lead console, meaning thats the console they dev first on, but until very recently that no longer is the case" and "the main thing is Live and all that, adn are you really going to notice those differences when the game is going at X speed?" basicaly saying that it isnt that big of a deal anymore and things have chnged, but after seeing that Mafia 2 crap on PS3, I think what they said was kinda a lie, or maybe not a lie because thats what they thought, but certainly a inaccuracey or they were wrong. and they said its not a big deal, but chances are they probaly would play the game on 360 not out of bias, but due to Live and Points and all that, so really their not that exposed to it enough to develop a sense of noticing a trend of faults in PS3 versions of games.

things have gotten better for PS3 I guess, but nothing really has changed that much. PS3 had the worse multipaltforms back in 2007, they had the worse online in 2007, and its not mainstream enough to warrent sites or devs using it as showcasing demos or videos using its version. And all of this is true today even in the year 2010. Also, 360 is still outselling PS3 adn has more sold, and if the 360 sales surge keeps up, I dont think that gap will EVER close and even if it does, I think 360 will still be considered a bigger success then PS3 this gen.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Burns098356GX

I had almost immediate buyers remorse when I bought mine. I bought mine about 2 years ago mainly for the blurray player, and immediately regretted it when I realized that blurrays aren't near as affordable as DVDs, even today 2 years from when I got the PS3 there still not worth it. Plus when you factor in up-scaling of DVDs, the difference between that and a BD doesn't justify $600 when I bought the system. Sure, its nice having 1080p, but it wasn't that huge of a difference like VHS-DVD was. Game wise, theres nothing on the PS3 that I really wanted. I had LBP, which was fun for a time, but lost its luster quickly. MGS, which was a huge letdown because I dont know anything about the MGS Series and I tend to hate that anime japany shit. The only game I know I'm going to miss is GT5, because I think its going to blow Forza 3 out of the water. As far as multiplatform games are concerned, they typically look and run better on 360, which I dont quite understand seeing as the PS3 has more power.

I think the PS3 is in a much better spot than it was, say 2 years ago. The price drop made it a lot more comparable to the 360. I sold my PS3 about 2 months ago because it was collecting dust. The 360 just offers more of what I want than Sony does. None of this is a knock against Sonys products, I lived with both systems for 2 years and just found that one suited my interests a lot better.

Johnnyredwine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Johnnyredwine

While I will always love my PS3, the constant lack of changes to the PSN (I still have games without trophy support, for example) and the fact that Live just seems better intergrated, plus the overhaul lack of polish on multiplates, led me to buy an Xbox 360 - so now I own both. 

Maybe it's just me, but my Xbox 360 and Live just seem more "fun", and there are no exclusives besides GT5 keeping me bound to just the PS3 anymore.  

But as I said, I still love my PS3, so I won't be selling it. I now have the best of both worlds.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ravensword
@Burns098356GX:

I think maybe the fact that it got shilaked for so long before it got good maybe left a lasting impression on the way I view it. Id hate to admit its not as good because then I feel like I wasted the money. But I do still really like the Exclusvies. But if the multiplats arent as good, whats the point?
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ravensword

I dont know, maybe I should just enjoy my PS3 for Exclusives. I like those. Im just pissed that we are so slow to get them (multiplatform) even across both. I dont think they will all ever truely be the same this gen. Maybe thats my big hang up about it. That, and maybe i dont think it sometimes gets the attention from sites and whatnot that 360 does and I think thats kinda wrong.
Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#6  Edited By Valkyr

Just think that the 360 slim is like a launch ps3 without blu-ray, the ps3 had a hdd, hdmi, blu-ray and wi-fi from day one and the 360 will never ever have built in blu-ray .The 360 unreliable hardware issue was fixed since the jasper and the ps3 is one of the most reliable peace of tech in console history. So I don't know, 600 bucks was not expensive taking in count that the ps3 was a pretty advance device, it was released in 2006, if you enjoyed the free online and the blu-ray movies since you bought it, then it was worth it.
To make you feel better, I totally regret buying a 360, I haven't even played Halo 3, Fable 2 or  Gears 2, I don't like that IPs at all!

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I did initially, then I played MGS4 (I'm a huge fan of the MGS series).  

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I traded in a bunch of shit, got it for $50, played a shit load of MGS4, LBP, and some downloadable games and never touched that much ever again. 

In my opinion the PS3 is a much better console with a much more varied library of games. 

It's online system fucking sucks though.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ravensword
@LordXavierBritish:

My main hang up is the multiplatform shit.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Jeust
@Raven_Sword:  

The main problem is still programming for the beast. It's still much harder than for the Xbox 360. That's why generally developers deliver better on Xbox.  

I have a Xbox 360, thought about the games on the PS3, but after consideration, i saw that the games i like in both platforms are almost the same. I think that is also a barrier for the PS3. It has good exclusives, but as they aren't all that many, people don't feel the need or want to make the effort of having them both. Only people that want to play every game or have a serious want towards some franchise really makes that jump across the fence.  

In my opinion the PS3 is a much better console with a much more varied library of games.     

More varied library of games probably not, as in 2009 Xbox released more games than the PS3 according to Metacritic. Still it is a better console hardware-wise. 

Edit: Actually there are seven titles i like from the catalogue of exclusives... This is starting to get more interesting. ^^
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By crusader8463

I bought one back when there was literally nothing to play on it and regretted it. I eventually sold it and, as is always the case, within months of selling it dozens of exclusive games that I had been dieing to play were announced and I have regretted selling it since. So much so that I have been desperately trying to find a way to get one again. This was made even worse by the fact that it was on of the original backwards compatible ones and that even if I did some how get the money to buy a new one I would not be able to play all the old PS2 games that I have been dieing to play.

The only up side is that when I do finally get one, there will be a metric ton of great games that I have missed for like $10-$20 a pop. However my main priority right now is getting money to replace the broken graphics card on my PC, so I won't be getting a PS3 anytime soon- unless it's given to me. PC is and always will be my primary platform to game on, and there has yet to be a 360 game that has even interested me the slightest that I could not have gotten on my PC or a PS3 if I had of had one-while the PS3 has had exclusives that only that platform could play that looked interesting.