Let's Talk Game Manuals - Any favorites?

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By ztiworoh

The trend of including a decent manual with a game has slipped by the wayside, and now you usually just get a two-sided pamphlet with some legalese and seizure warnings. But back in the day there was a glorious age of gaming manuals. Anyone have any favorites? My most vivid memory of a good one was with Microsoft Space Simulator in the early 90s. The thing came on like 12 floppy disks and had a 400 or so page book describing the finer details of space flight. I distinctly remember learning what "apogee" and "perigee" meant from that thing.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Well, as I've said in my Persona 4 blog, I really like the Persona 4 manual, because:

• It's a manual, and...
  • ...it features some decent lessons on Japanese culture.
BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BombKareshi

Back in the days of the Sega Megadrive, I was crazy about video game manuals. I would read through Sonic manuals time and again, and at some point I even started typing up manuals for Sonic games that didn't exist. Ah, to be ten years old again...

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Ravenlight
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MikkaQ

@Video_Game_King said:

Well, as I've said in my Persona 4 blog, I really like the Persona 4 manual, because:

• It's a manual, and...
  • ...it features some decent lessons on Japanese culture.

Yeah that was a pleasant surprise when I bought the game. I wish more Japanese games were that accommodating.

Personally I remember the 2004 PC Sid Meyer's Pirates! remake. That manual was thick as hell, spiral bound like a boss, so it looks like an operator's manual or something. But it's for piracy. Teaches you about ship classification for the time, how to regonize ships and their portential value, info on wind speeds and navigation techniques, and encyclopedic knowledge on the items in the game. It was pretty useful, and a fun read. Classy paper map in the box too.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

@MikkaQ:

I imagine you mean "Japanese games where Japanese culture plays a large role in understanding the story", because I'm not sure how relevant that would be to something like Phantom Brave.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#7  Edited By sammo21

Link to the Past - SNES

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By sickVisionz

Street Fighter 4 has a decent one. I can't remember any others. My time with manuals usually results in me realizing the data I need, typically about how exactly a RPG stat is calculated, isn't in there.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By mosespippy

The Vice City manual was a tourist guide for Vice City. There was a section on areas of interest, night life, facts about the city, different cultures in the city (aka gangs) and a whole bunch of ads for the in game brands like Knife After Dark or Howlin Pete's Bike Emporium.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By galiant
BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BonOrbitz

@ztiworoh: Great thread idea!

The first thing that springs to mind are the old NES and SNES manuals that came with Nintendo's top franchises (Mario, Zelda, and Metroid series). I loved the smell of the ink, the coated paper, and the vibrant and colorful printing. On the ride home from the store I would slowly page through them, reading every word and staring in awe at the pages where all the character's moves were mapped out.

God of Wars I and II (haven't seen 3's yet) also stand out. The design and illustrations of the different gods and monsters had an impact on me that made them stand out from other manuals.

Star Wars Galaxies stands out as well because of how think it was. It spiral bound to keep it all together. Are MMO manuals usually like that?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MikkaQ

@Video_Game_King said:

@MikkaQ:

I imagine you mean "Japanese games where Japanese culture plays a large role in understanding the story", because I'm not sure how relevant that would be to something like Phantom Brave.

There's a bunch of Japanese games that have small cultural references that could be better explained, even when Japanese culture doesn't play a huge role in the game. Nothing comes to mind now though.

But yeah also games like Okami and shit would be a lot simpler if they just put all that in the manual. There would be a loss less to explain. For that game to make sense you need to know enough about Japanese, Shinto mythology. About as much as your average schoolchild knows about Greek mythology in North America.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lockwoodx

While in the process of sharing my collection on another site, here's a snip from when I posted some of the manuals I've collected.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I always like the original Pokemon manual as well as the story book manual for the text adventure 'The pawn'

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DeF

Conker's Bad Fur Day had an awesome manual! The funny writing from the game also found its way into the manual and the descriptions of things.

In Germany, we often got the equivalent of the North American player's guides included with the big RPGs (Secret of Mana/Evermore, Terranigma, Illusion of Gaia, Lufia II) and no regular manual so I'd say all those qualify. That also is the case with Super Metroid which came with a guide/manual hybrid like that. Earthbound in NA had that too. All those were awesome because they had tons of artwork and maps and guides that offered hints and basic direction instead of straight up walkthroughs "go here, do this".

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Blizzard used to make the best manuals. The ones for Warcraft 3 and Starcraft were like mini novels, extensive backstory, unit story and tech breakdowns tons of art. Those were awesome. Starcraft 2's was like 2 pages.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bwheeeler

I liked the Guild Wars games' manuals. Little books, almost. It was really exciting when I was younger and more enchanted with those sorts of things.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Klei

Baldur's Gate I and II. These were like books, not booklets.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By YI_Orange

Manuals make new games smell nice, that's all I ever needed them for.

Avatar image for belligerentengine
BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really fond of the original Neverwinter Nights manual, but then again I think I'm just partial to anything spiral bound.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Petiew

Snake eater's is good. The mechanics are explained in a comic book type format, and there's a timeline leading up to the events of the game.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Chummy8

The Baldur's Gate 2 manual is one of my favorites, I still go through it every so often because I replay that game so often.

Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Aquablak

I always loved the huge map that came with the original Final Fantasy. You could flip it over and it had pictures and stats on all the monsters.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#24  Edited By DarthOrange

Fallout 3 had the last memorable game manual.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Stete

I love manuals which give you alot of backstory of the world of the game such as Fallout 1, Diablo 1 and 2 and and this sexy beast pictured here.

100+ beatiful colour pages filled with awesome. Also pictured for scale purposes, the complimentary tissue that came with New Vegas Ultimate Edition.
100+ beatiful colour pages filled with awesome. Also pictured for scale purposes, the complimentary tissue that came with New Vegas Ultimate Edition.
conformunist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By conformunist

Mechwarrior 2. That thing had all sorts of made-up-gibberish info. Loved it.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By crusader8463

I re-bought the original big box version of Bladur's Gate 2 last year just for the sexy manual in side. I remember the first time I bought that game years ago and spending the whole day just reading that sexy ringed manual.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By GunstarRed

We <3 Katamari's is fantastic!

No Caption Provided
fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#29  Edited By fox01313

I recall some rpg pc games having some interesting game manuals (most have already been posted here so won't copy that) but while current games can do a lot with the in-game pdf manuals, it would be nice to at least have a single sheet with the game box with the controls on it.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By CJduke

Any manual EA puts in their games nowadays is really good -_-

But seriously, as a kid I loved any game manual that had information about the characters and background plot.