tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Braid.

The story of Braid is both incredibly sad and a complete head fuck, while still maintaining some subtlety.

Very depressing game.

RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#53  Edited By RagingLion
@The_Painted said:
Limbo, and if you have Half-Life 2: Episode 2 on Steam there's a mod called Dear Esther available for download that I thought was amazing and incredibly depressing.
I can second Dear Esther:  bleak, mysterious, haunting and it's also a bit of over an hour of play/walking so perfect if you want a smallish dose.  If you can wait and are still going to be interested in such games in a few months time then wait it out because it's being remade in a big way and will get a proper Steam release - the island looks bea-utiful now that the graphics have been redone.

I think Braid's a good shout for being suitable.  It's not melancholy the whole time in a strong but the undercurrent is always there and things get revealed more as you go.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By HandsomeDead

Trying to find games with any personality is rough, so finding ones with a sad tone is going to be super difficult. The only ones I've played on current gen consoles have been Fallout 3 and MGS4. If you want true grim melodrama, you need to get Max Payne and the sequel.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

I fully agree with Demon's Souls, especially if you wanna get "deep and shit, man", because that game gets pretty rough.  

There are two levels in teh game that don't really have anything that strikes at you (err...2 and 4), but the whole atmosphere of the game and the Maiden Astraea boss fight are two major points in the game where a minimalism that's so incredibly difficult to achieve in games digs its way in. There's so much behind the game's little nuances that it's hard to say in a short post, but since you're looking for that kind of thing I fully recommend playing it at least twice to experience the atmosphere. Also, if you like loot.  

My personal favorite "somber/sad" game has to go to Siren/Siren: Blood Curse. Despite the fact that the game is just scary as all fucking fuck, the actual stories that are being told through the eyes of the ten or so people is really enduring. The game's storyline goes to very bizarre places (the director of the first Silent Hill was the creative lead behind this, I think) but the final few sections and the final few characters that have their portions of the story told are incredible, especially in Blood Curse (which is a sort of/kinda remake of Siren for the PS2. I recommend getting Blood Curse ($30 or 40 on PSN, I forget), as it restructures the original Siren into something more coherent, yet still crazy, and more playable (thank whatever God you believe in that Miyako isn't blind in SBC). Again, the atmosphere of dread and hopelessness combined with supernatural horror all equal to a game that's sure to break you somewhere. All in all, BC is better overall, but the original's ending is crazier and much more "sad" 

/rant 

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#56  Edited By Make_Me_Mad
@mutha3
NOTE: This conversation is extremely full of spoilers.  So, eh, watch out for that?

The problem is, all that hinges on logic, and the people in the Drakengard universe actually being able to tell you plot critical information before it's too late.  These things are not the case, for some reason!  The only people who actually seem to know what happens if the seals are broken are Seere and the four generals of the Knights of the Seal- which is inexplicable, because you have to imagine that most of the people around actually were there when shit went wrong in the last game.  Of course, considering that it went for the Ending A option, the Gods never showed up in giant-cannibalistic-lightning-baby fashion and ripped the world a new one because they were too busy going all Rita Repulsa on Manah's ass.  Still, it makes very little sense, but Seere is the only one not totally surprised when the world goes straight to hell as soon as the final seal breaks.

From this, you have to assume that the people in the Drakengard universe have some kind of obsessive compulsion with not revealing helpful information until it's too late to do a damn thing about it.  Literally noone mentions to them that Caim is pact partners with angelus, until they've already fucked up and set Angelus free and she's got the world firmly in her sights for a neverending BBQ party.   It really would be as simple as someone having read a history book to Nowe and Manah at some point, but for some reason that I still can't explain not a single person ever directly brings up what happened the last time the seals were broken and says that it's going to totally fuck the world if it happens.  At least, noone who isn't a part of the Knights of the Seal, who apart from Eris and Nowe's adoptive human dad appear to be made up entirely of sociopaths.  It's blatantly ridiculous.

Of course, the twist wouldn't really work any other way- and it's not even a twist if you've played the first game.  The army of assholes actually is in the right, and anyone who went through the trouble of the first game and protecting those damn seals knows that breaking them is a terrible idea.  No matter how evil everyone in that army is, and no matter how shitty life is for every person not within five feet of the main stronghold for said army of assholes, it's way better than the alternative.  You're practically begging for someone along the way to just explain this bullshit so the game could end before you have to see another creepy flying God baby, but noone ever does until, again, it's a few seconds too late to do anything about it.

As far as Nowe paying for what he did, you have to remember that he's one of those characters who places no value on his own life beyond his ability to help other people.  In that regard, man did he pay for the dumb shit he and Manah did over the course of this whole mess- the best possible outcome is essentially the same as the first game!  Eris, childhood friend and occasional yandere psycho bitch, ends up suffering nigh-endless pain for the rest of her life as the Goddess in the best ending.  The gods are still waiting in the wings, the dragons are almost wiped out completely thanks to Nowe's non-appearance as their secret weapon against the gods, and if the seal is ever to break again they're more fucked than they ever have been in the past.  The end result of all of his and Manah's good intentions is that thousands and thousands of people died screaming, Nowe's best friends are A. Dead and B. Suffering Forever, and the world is one large step closer to total annihilation. The only options past that are having to kill Manah and dying in a futile war against the Gods along with all the dragons and the rest of humanity and some hippy non-canon bullshit where everything is happy forever for no reason.  This is Cavia we're talking about, we all know there's no such thing as a happy ending in one of these things.

And I do remember Nowe breaking down pretty well over the course of the game!  It's been a while, but there was some definite freaking out once he realized how screwed everything was without the seals.  Manah going crazy didn't help him any, and for a good portion of the endgame he's basically in one long depressive panic attack where he rants about how this could have happened and they did the right thing.  It's pretty swept over in the ending, of course, and all the ridiculous "Yeah, dragons are back and we have a flying castle now" BS they pulled, but he definitely gets his idealism handed to him on a steaming platter.  Saving Manah via magical psychonaut powers was ridiculous, though, I agree.  I think it was just an excuse for Cavia to have you murdering children.

Basically, what I took from the game is this:
A: Everyone has totally inexplicable amnesia regarding the tragic events of the last game, until moments before those same tragic events are almost completely replicated in their entirety.
B: Thanks to this, the protagonists are good people who have no idea how much shit they're bringing down by doing what would, in any other case, be the right thing and fighting the psycho evil empire.
C: When someone says the word "Seal", the characters are incapable of asking "Seal for what?"
D: The Dragons are all assholes, the Gods are bigger assholes, and everything goes completely to hell in that world so often that it would be easier if it just ended.
E: British accents are annoying as hell in this world.
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By mutha3

(Uh...yeah, I guess...spoiler warnings for anyone who wants to play Drakengard!)

You're right, the Space babies never showed up in ending A. But the world did go to shit with the sky turning red 'n shit.

But I suppose we're in agreement, then? The fact that members of these organization which are supposed to be more indocrinated than...well, anyone else in the world don't realize what they're doing is just sloppy writing, man. "hey man, breaking the seals is probably a bad idea" is supposed to be common, everyday knowledge in the Drakengard world. It makes Nowe look like he was drooling and staring at Eris' butt during history class.

And the game contradicts itself several times on that! KOTS members mention Angelus all the time and the danger of breaking the other seals! That is really, really poorly thought-out on their part. Its inexcusable in my eyes. In the end, the only legitimate motive Nowe seemed to have was getting into Manah's cartoon pussy.

Nier had its own fair share of contrivances 

But the ones in D2 just completely break the plot and makes every character look like a complete idiot.

@Make_Me_Mad

said:

hippy non-canon bullshit where everything is happy forever for no reason.  This is Cavia we're talking about, we all know there's no such thing as a happy ending in one of these things.

And being a goddess doesn't really cause you unbearable pain, it just ensures the loss of your lady parts and grants you an extended life span. The "unbearable pain" thing was Verdelet being(as usual) a dick and choosing to strengthen the seal with the KOTS. In that sense, the events of D2 are largely Verdelet's fault for being a crazy paranoid mother effer. And Nowe of course for being an idiot. Oh well,at least he gets his anime girlfriend(who's kisses can apparently turn him into a super saiyan).

At least Eris finally gets the good sense to stop pining after the git.

And I do remember Nowe breaking down pretty well over the course of the game!  It's been a while, but there was some definite freaking out once he realized how screwed everything was without the seals.  Manah going crazy didn't help him any, and for a good portion of the endgame he's basically in one long depressive panic attack where he rants about how this could have happened and they did the right thing.  It's pretty swept over in the ending, of course, and all the ridiculous "Yeah, dragons are back and we have a flying castle now" BS they pulled, but he definitely gets his idealism handed to him on a steaming platter.  Saving Manah via magical psychonaut powers was ridiculous, though, I agree.  I think it was just an excuse for Cavia to have you murdering children.

Now that entire stupid scene makes sense. Of course.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#58  Edited By BeachThunder
One Chance - A very short Flash game about the end of the world, that you can only play through once.
vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By vitor

@shinigami420 said:

@Capum15 said:

@zombie2011: Oh fuck, Kat's death was the biggest "Holy Shit!" moment I've had in a game for a while. The others were played out a bit, but her's was just *BAM* dead. Why did she always forget to put on her shields?!As for games, I have no idea.

That is nothing compared to the darkness

Saddest game moment I can remember. Especially considering how well they wrote her character leading up to that.

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By harinosho

Vagrant story had sad tones to it at the end....

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Vodun

@Soapy86 said:

No Caption Provided

Completely agree, and spoilars:

For a moment I thought the game would just jump you back to the very beginning again when you break through at the end. I'm glad it didn't because that would've sent me on a depression spiral.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By sirdesmond

@Durandir said:

A lot of good sad/somber games have been mentioned (I stand behind Limbo, The Darkness and Brutal Legend myself), but there is one more that kinda fits, but not quite. Psychonauts.

Now hear me out. Yes, the game is a whimsical adventure through colorful landscapes. It is also a game where you rummage around in the minds of people with different psychological diseases. And you see some fucked up and sad stuff in there, even in the minds of the good, sane characters. When I finished that game, and looked back at it, I found it to be a secretly sad and depressing game. Which made it even more brilliant.

I completely get what you are saying here and would have to agree myself. While it has it's fun moments, there was kind of this overarching feeling of dread and sadness when I played it. That said, I loved it.

jaymorgoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By jaymorgoth

A lot of good ones are already mentioned but I would like to make a nod to Enslaved. I think there are some genuinely sad moments in that game and the ending definitely didn't leave me feeling too upbeat. The characterization was pretty fantastic as well.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#64  Edited By Pie

As mentioned by other people a few times the short storys in lost odyssey were excellent and most of them were downers.. 

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By zombie2011
@Pie said:
As mentioned by other people a few times the short storys in lost odyssey were excellent and most of them were downers.. 
I stopped reading those pretty early because some of those stories were long as hell. The only one i remember is about the little girl at the inn, and yeah it was a downer for sure. 
ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ervonymous

Just finished Nier yesterday and I'll vouch for it, what a powerful soundtrack to back up the likable characters. Whatever the form of entertainment may be I like a good cry, I was so disappointed when Cry On got the axe.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#67  Edited By Pie
@zombie2011 said:
@Pie said:
I stopped reading those pretty early because some of those stories were long as hell. The only one i remember is about the little girl at the inn, and yeah it was a downer for sure. 
They could definitely get long at times but most were worth the time. I did definitely dread finding them though, it pretty much meant an end to that play session  and I don't want to be reading books in my games. I want to be gaming
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By napalm
@shinigami420: Is that the ending of the game?
Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#69  Edited By Catolf

I'd say right now Lost Odyessy for me, makes me blubber like a baby.. fuck those stories they have you read...;_;

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#70  Edited By shinigami420

@Napalm: No after that you go to hell and fight hell nazis

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#71  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Heavy Rain is pretty depressing, yeah. I also thought Braid was pretty dark, too. The music is very slow and sombre. Limbo is another good choice but it's more sinister than sad, I'd say.

The ending of Grand Theft Auto 4 is fucking brutal. That really messed me up.

yorick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#72  Edited By yorick
@Buzzkill
Didn't that turn out to be the in game mom sending letters?
beckley205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By beckley205

Duke Nukem why why why?

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#74  Edited By Cathryn

All the iterations of Persona 3 have a pretty sad ending -- bawl like a baby every damn time I play through it :/

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#75  Edited By mylifeforAiur