Looking To Get Into DOTA2 - Need Some Help

diresu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guys,

So, I am a total moba newbie, never played any of them...but it seems like everywhere I turn these days someone is gushing about DOTA, and after also watching a bit of TI4 I decided to give it a go.

With that said, I am wondering where to start? Are there any good guides for new players, twitch streams, etc that I should check out?

Also, I am curious whether there is a Giant Bomb community regulars that play, that could maybe show me the ropes. I would much rather learn with a group of people that are willing to teach, than through playing with randoms that do nothing but scream obscenities in my direction because I am not an expert. And also from everything I seen it seems like playing with friends/regular group of people is the most fun way to experience a game like this.

My steam username is Diresu.

Thanks Guys!

diresu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome, I will check all those things out, appreciate the help!

Eviternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@diresu: I agree that Purge's guide is a good place to get a grasp on the fundamentals. I'd recommend playing with GB duders (as linked above) first: they can explain item and ability 'builds' as you need them. Once you've got the basics, I'd say play a few Easy bot matches to learn some different heroes without any pressure. (Be aware that the bots don't quite play like people: They always have two bots top and bottom, with one mid; they often clump as a group of five after the early-game; and they never use certain items. If you plan on playing against people, don't rely on the bots as an analogue - I find bot games are useful for trying out heroes or builds, though.)

The International 4 also featured a Newcomer's Stream. They had some troubles on the first day, but if you watch from Day 2 onwards you'll learn plenty in a short time.

Since you asked for Twitch recommendations, after you feel familiar with the basics I'd say check out Merlini from time to time: He occasionally describes the reasoning behind his play and speaks in an easily understandable manner. Wagamama and Blitz don't explain their motives very often, but when they do it's usually insightful. Note: These are all pro/ex-pro players - don't expect these sorts of games (including their opponents) until you climb the Match-Making Rankings (MMR). Be warned that Waga often plays without a shirt. This may affect your viewing experience.

Don't let my wall of text put you off: Dota is actually quite easy to learn - the hard part is using that knowledge to play well!

wattsiey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I learned a ton just watching Crispy, and a lot of the other guys on Daily Dota. Watching it before I touched a keyboard really helped I felt.