Looking to try pc gaming, is this a good starting pc?

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Rave

I've had a laptop that can run older games okay for awhile, but I think I am ready for an actual PC to hook up to a tv. I am not really looking to spend to much but also want something that can last a few years with minimal upgrades.

I saw this and thought the price looked okay but really have no clue what to look for when buying a PC capable of running games.

http://m.bestbuy.ca/defaultpage.aspx?lang=en#/catalog/ProductTabContent.aspx?sku=10238818&tab=Tab_FeatureSpecs&lang=en-CA

How would this be to start? I think the GPU might be a little old from what I read maybe it would eventually need an upgrade 7850 is alot better I hear?

Any suggestions on where to start, I am I. I'm in Ontario and it doesn't seem like there are a ton of places to get computers that aren't prebuilt. Any help is appreciated!

Sorry link doesn't seem to work since posting from a phone. The price is $699.99. Not sure if that's reasonable or not

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Depending on your know-how, you'd be better off saving that $700 and putting it towards building a better one on your own. You can make a pretty powerful rig for $800-$1000 depending on how far you want to go.

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Rave

@soldierg654342: my problem is not know anyone or knowing anything myself about computers building my first seems very intimidating. And getting computer parts on my area doesn't seem super easy (unless ordering online is how everyone does it).

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

link doesn't seem to work.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rave said:

@soldierg654342: my problem is not know anyone or knowing anything myself about computers building my first seems very intimidating. And getting computer parts on my area doesn't seem super easy (unless ordering online is how everyone does it).

Yeah, pretty much everyone orders online these days. That's what I did. Better prices and availability. There are plenty of tutorials out there online for how to build your own computer. For the most part though, it's pretty simple. The hardest part is the power cables.

Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By TheManiacsGnome

Also unless you're insane and live in Northern Ontario, there are lots of Canada Computers outlets. Newegg.ca also always gets my shit to me quick, so there are plenty of options.

We only say the pre built option is superior because it generally nets you a more balanced PC, OEM build quality can be a bit dodgy at times and it's a fair bit cheaper. Some others have pointed out that there are lots of tutorials on the web, and it's not nearly as intimidating as it looks or sounds.

Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

My first computer was a Gateway and I tore apart and rebuilt it over and over, messed with the OS, formatted and reinstalled, over and over and in the end, it looks scary and intimidating but you can't really screw up as long as you make sure everything is compatible with each other. That and make sure everything goes in the proper direction.

I too would recommend going online for your parts as you'll get a bigger bang for your buck. A visit to Reddit's Build a PC for Me is another great area to stop by where the redditors will have you get the parts together.