BothBarsOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BothBarsOn

Hi all, 

I'm buying a new Macbook soon and was thinking of springing for a 15" model with a 9600m GPU (as opposed to the much cheaper 13" with a 9400m). Can anybody with personal experience tell me how the 9600 would stack up against a PS3, which is my only other reference point? At native resolution (1400 x 900), what are we talking about - graphics that are 20% as good as a PS3?  50%? Not even worth equating? I haven't a clue (obviously).

I know this is a vague and wishy-washy question and these things aren't easily quantifiable. But I've never seen a MBP running games in Boot Camp and Youtube videos are too low-res to be trustworthy. If the 9600 was hilariously pathetic next to the PS3, I know I'd never use it and would have wasted a lot of cash.  I'd really appreciate some advice!

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Lashe

It's a MacBook. Don't waste your money on a MacBook if you want to game on the move, get yourself a Windows-based Gaming laptop for the same price with far superior specs. 

The 9600m is not a great card, don't expect to be playing any new games at anything beyond low/medium settings.

BothBarsOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BothBarsOn

Thanks, but I'm definitely getting a Macbook of some kind. I know I could do better gaming-wise with a Windows machine, but I'm not willing to give up OS X just to get some games in on the go. I'm just afraid of spending all that extra money to get a machine that, while being much better than it's little brother, is still fairly hopeless. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman
@BothBarsOn:  If you are talking about whether or not that computer could render the same graphics as a PS3 at the same frame rate, it all depends on the games requirements. But generally, no. Gaming systems are built for gaming obviously and to get the same performance, you would need to spend quite a bit on a good desktop. The integrated graphics card in a macbook really doesn't come close to the PS3 or 360 in rendering any modern game.
Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Lashe
@BothBarsOn said:
" Thanks, but I'm definitely getting a Macbook of some kind. I know I could do better gaming-wise with a Windows machine, but I'm not willing to give up OS X just to get some games in on the go. I'm just afraid of spending all that extra money to get a machine that, while being much better than it's little brother, is still fairly hopeless.  "
This is exactly how you will feel I reckon, unless you're talking about running games which are about 3/4 years old I think you'll be disappointed.
BothBarsOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BothBarsOn

Thanks for the replies. I've been doing my gaming on a PS3 but there's a new baby in the house, so I can't be squirreled away in the Man Cave playing Killzone 2 all evening ... Just wondered what my portable options were.  

Looks like I'll just have to let gaming drop off for a couple of decades! 

Edit: just re-read this and realised it sounds like I'm complaining about having a baby. Nothing could be further from the truth!

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By EVO
@BothBarsOn said:
"Just wondered what my portable options were."
Are you just gonna be gaming on your Mac? If so, you're probably better off just buying a DS, PSP and a bunch of games.
Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Sdoots

Just throwing in my experience with my macbook pro, but I can run most of the games I want too with it on boot camp. Games I've played on it are The Orange Box, Counter Strike Source, Star Wars Republic Commando, Killing Floor, The entire Legacy Of Kain series, Painkiller, S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow Of Chernobyl, Diablo 2, Doom, Doom 2, and Batman Arkham Asylum. All of these run perfectly and quite a few run near-perfect at max settings, and this is a macbook pro that I bought around 2 or 3 years ago.

BothBarsOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BothBarsOn

@ Biohazardous: Really?! Even Batman: AA? That's impressive. Now I'm all confused.  

More than usual, even.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Sdoots
@BothBarsOn: Yeah, Batman ran great. I had a little slowdown once or twice, but it was very brief and was barely noticeable.