Mass Effect Save File Converter.

Mordebir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Edited By Mordebir

I'm currently playing Mass Effect on the PC. (it's actually on my iMac but it's running windows through boot camp, never mind...) As the proud owner of a PS3 I was very happy to hear about the announcement of the upcoming PS3 version of Mass Effect 2, but I have a problem now with migrating my character to Mass Effect  from my PC to the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2, an option that was available for the Xbox 360, as far as I knkow.
And now for the question. Is it that hard to have a kind of utility/online tool/PS3 app that converts your 360/PC final save file to the Mass Effect 2 version on the PS3? Do you think Bioware should invest the time to write such a tool? Would you use that tool? I'm defenetly would use that tool and I think they should invest in it.

Mordebir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Mordebir

I'm currently playing Mass Effect on the PC. (it's actually on my iMac but it's running windows through boot camp, never mind...) As the proud owner of a PS3 I was very happy to hear about the announcement of the upcoming PS3 version of Mass Effect 2, but I have a problem now with migrating my character to Mass Effect  from my PC to the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2, an option that was available for the Xbox 360, as far as I knkow.
And now for the question. Is it that hard to have a kind of utility/online tool/PS3 app that converts your 360/PC final save file to the Mass Effect 2 version on the PS3? Do you think Bioware should invest the time to write such a tool? Would you use that tool? I'm defenetly would use that tool and I think they should invest in it.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

There is absolutely no way to do this. Mass Effect 1 is not available on the PS3 so if you want to carry a save file form ME1 to 2 and 3, play the game on a 360 or continue on getting it for PC. You'll probably need a pretty decent computer for ME2 and even more so for 3. 

If you want the full experience I would highly suggest starting a character on the PC or 360 version and carrying the same character through each game on whatever platform you choose from those two. 

Oh, and that option wasn't available for the 360 either. Whatever platform you start ME1 on has to be the platform you carry the save file into.

Mordebir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mordebir
@xyzygy: 
I know which game is available on which platform, that's the point. What I was asking is why can't they do it? It is possible to convert other file formats from one operating system to another, how hard can it be to write one that converts, a text file basically (as I understand it) from Windows to the PS3?
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By xyzygy
@Mordebir: I don't think it's just a text file... I know that for the 360 version, when you start it up you have to install a seperate program called the Mass Effect Save File Importer and it even takes up a seperate spot under the memory. So I think there is a little more to it than just a text file. I did a search about it and there's nothing. 

I"d recommend just sticking with the PC version anyway. You can transfer your save file, and who knows how good the PS3 port will be. I'm assuming it's not going to be Bioware Edmonton doing the port because they're already hard at work on DA2 and ME3. It's probably gonna be an outsourced thing just like the console versions of DA:O. If that's the case you would want to stick with the PC version :P
Mordebir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mordebir
@xyzygy: I see. That's a Shame. But what about that Cloud Saving we all hear about these days, isn't that just the same thing, or similar. I'm sure that if they really want to they can make it.
Mordebir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mordebir
@xyzygy: I didn't mean between the PC to the 360 I meant from 1 to 2. Sorry about that.
ARORK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By ARORK
@Mordebir:  That would be an awesome feature. I do Agree, being able to convert your game from a platform to an another. Even if I haven't played to the first one. I do understand the need for the player to feel that continuity. I will add it would be an nice PR thing to do. To make switch people from a console to another. I do own a x360 and a PS3. But I barely turn on my Xbox nowadays. Simply because of the noise. and some other personal preferences.
I am with you Mordebir. Your "request" does make sens. I hope Bioware people will hear you.