ME2 multiplatform goty....

chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By chickdigger802

After catching up with giantbomb day 6 stuff. Kinda feel funny that ME2 got multiplatform GOTY.

I'm all happy that this got the award, but I felt it's kinda similar to The Bayonetta argument for this award. 

The pc version was pretty piss poor implementation. Pretty crappy video/audio options. Really horrible interface made for controllers (no mouse wheel support in text boxes, no double click, no hotkey weapons etc). And the worst part? No 360 controller support for a game designed for controllers >.>"  

Oh, the skyboxes and cutscenes are really low resolution on pc.

A lot of pc ports control like shit with keyboard+mouse, but they usually compensate by allowing controller support.   

It's like bioware are acting smug thinking the controls were good enough that it didn't need controller support.  

Hopefully they don't do this again for ME3. Or at least let the people that ported ME1 to pc do the pc port of ME3....

ME2 GOTY overall I can dig, multiplatform GOTY? Not so much.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

WUT.

I haven't heard anyone else mention these things about the PC port :\

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By No0b0rAmA

If your playing it on a PC, why would you care about 360 controller support? I found Mass Effect 2 to be fine, on par with the rest of the consoles.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Milkman

I hadn't heard any bad things about the PC port but either way, I don't think that should really matter. The award is just for the best game that appeared on multi-platforms. The quality of the ports, in my opinion, is irrelevant. 

LlamaLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LlamaLlama

Nothing bad about the PC version, haven't heard anything from my uncle and friends who have it on the PC
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By jkz

I felt the argument against Bayonetta was weak, because I could never see them dismissing a game because of a poor PC port. I don't think that was the case with ME2 (I thought the PC port was fine), but I felt that they would probably have ignored it had, say, GTAIV been a nominee.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By emem
@chickdigger802: I've been playing it on the PC and the controls and everything else are just fine.. everything works as intended I'd say. 

Sure, some of the points you mentioned are correct, but I didn't mind them at all.. still my goty.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Azteck

Saw it on my friends PC and it looked fucking gorgeous, and not at all difficult to handle. Not sure where you're coming from.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Pinworm45

I thought the PC version of ME2 was very well done. I don't have any of your complaints. Especially the skybox one.. they looked amazing. Check your AF settings because they must be at 0 or something.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By warxsnake

Uhhh what? I had and heard ZERO problems with the PC version of ME2. It even works great in 3D with nvidia's 3D kit. The only notable problem it had is with Eye-finity setups. 

On my side with my hardware anyway, I experienced no problems whatsoever, all the DLCs all worked great, the loading in game was almost instantaneous from section to section, and the mouse and keyboard controls were smooth. 

Knowing the Unreal engine, the visuals were maxed (if you picked the option of course), and obviously, you get almost no texture streaming which is usually a huge problem on unreal games on console, since your video card usually has more Vram than necessary. 

As the post above me points out, Anisotropic Filtering is one of the most important graphical features whether on PC or console, and you should never leave it at 0 otherwise all textures at odd angles will be blurred out (skyboxes and environments). 

chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By chickdigger802
@Milkman: But wasn't that one of the reasons why Bayonetta didn't make the list? I remember that from the podcast.  

And for ya people that don't know here are some examples of odd pc design choices: 

- No double clicking to open/accept stuff in codex/journal/skillpoints. You have to click an item to highlight then click a separate button across the screen to "accept".  
- No mouse wheel support in codex/journals/ UI stuff. You have to manually click the up and down arrows to scroll.  
- You can hotkey skills to numbers, but you can't do the same for guns. You either have to use mouse wheel (strange it functions here) to rotate through all your guns or use the 'pause action' mode.  
- Not hotkeys support for basic stuff. ie: "J" for journal. "C" for codex etc. 

The only real positive things I can think of the pc versions is it looks the best, best loading times (normandy loading is near instant), cheatengine support so you don't have to mine all day.  Probably the least crashy bioware pc title yet. 

It's just a really sloppy port done by bioware. It could be worst but after fairly decent ports of all their other games, this is kinda disappointing.
Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I played it on the PC and the controls were fine, maybe if your not used to playing shooters on the PC you would feel strange but even than it shouldn't take you more than an hour to get used to them.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@chickdigger802: All I know is it's better than what Gearbox does, as long as it's better than Borderlands, I think it's safe to say it's a reasonable port.
warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By warxsnake
@chickdigger802 said:

" @Milkman: But wasn't that one of the reasons why Bayonetta didn't make the list? I remember that from the podcast.   And for ya people that don't know here are some examples of odd pc design choices:  - No double clicking to open/accept stuff in codex/journal/skillpoints. You have to click an item to highlight then click a separate button across the screen to "accept".  - No mouse wheel support in codex/journals/ UI stuff. You have to manually click the up and down arrows to scroll.  - You can hotkey skills to numbers, but you can't do the same for guns. You either have to use mouse wheel (strange it functions here) to rotate through all your guns or use the 'pause action' mode.  - Not hotkeys support for basic stuff. ie: "J" for journal. "C" for codex etc.  The only real positive things I can think of the pc versions is it looks the best, best loading times (normandy loading is near instant), cheatengine support so you don't have to mine all day.  Probably the least crashy bioware pc title yet.  It's just a really sloppy port done by bioware. It could be worst but after fairly decent ports of all their other games, this is kinda disappointing. "

All those are design decisions, no the result of a crappy port.  

A crappy port is when a game doesnt work, is broken, chugs or lags for no reason, or misses features that the lead platform has. As long as the port matches the lead platform's version, or is better than the latter, then it's a good port; which is the case for ME2. 
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jimbo

It didn't make a great first impression with me but it wasn't bad.  Wasn't the PS3 version of Bayonetta just straight up shitty?

chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By chickdigger802
@No0b0rAmA: Odd. Borderlands  worked fine for me on pc. I liked how you could go through tabs in menu with number keys. 

Most of the other stuff could easily be addressed with some ini changes.  

You couldn't really do those with ME2. 
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Animasta

dude, the ME1 port was just as bad, but in a different way; it was horribly optimized to the point where me, with my quad core processor and very decent video card was getting 30-40 fps. I was getting 60 basically at all times in ME2, by the way.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@chickdigger802: Mass Effect 2 is a much better PC game than Borderlands. I found the interface too console-ee.
chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By chickdigger802
@Laketown: it was still a butt load better than the 360 version framerate wise =P  

I had to quicksave every few min cuz the game crashed so much. Same with KOTOR..... 

Now I think about it, bioware games do tend to run like shit on pc with good UI and shitty inventory management.  

Dragon Age might just be their best pc product yet in terms of performance and UI. 
Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lukeweizer

If the PC version of Mass Effect 2 was "bad", then the PS3 version of Bayonetta must have been an abortion. Haven't heard any bitching about the PC version.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Marz

Did we play the same version because i thought Mass Effect 2 on PC had really good controls and the interface was fine.   The interface is also alot different than the console versions so i don't understand how you made that comparison.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Daveyo520

The PC version was just fine.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

They made a bunch of arguments that didn't make much sense.
jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

As someone who has played Mass Effect 2 four times on the PC version, I have no issues with it.

chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By chickdigger802
@Marz: really? The UI and stuff are pretty much exactly the same besides the pause menu.  

The actual game menus and stuff is ok, but the menus are poorly done.  

And ya I played ME2 twice. Getting 'used to' a poor design choice doesn't make it a good design choice o0" 

Probably just me then who memorizes all the shortcut keys and what not to minimize my mouse movement (keyboard + mouse buttons+wheel) when I use computers. Probably also why the menus were so frustrating for me. I'd probably be fine if the menus had any keyboard control at all besides Esc to go back (I think arrow keys did something, but not sure if there was an 'accept' keyboard key). 
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Bones8677

The PS3 version will be out very soon, and Bioware is working their asses off making it great.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By kingzetta
@chickdigger802: They were not talking about the PC at all. It won best multiplaform game because it was announced for the PS3 months ago.
alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#28  Edited By alistercat

I fully endorse Mass Effect 2 on the PC. It's easily the best version, a beautiful looking game that controls well. I never had any problems with it.