Mission Failed: Why momentum is so important.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

Momentum is a concept that must be encouraged

Especially when it comes to blogging.

Remain committed and dividends shall be repaid tenfold.

No Caption Provided

Super Street Fighter 4

arrives tomorrow Amazon permitting. The spectrum in which Street Fighting ability lies is vast and within it there is a place which I may occupy for the next few weeks. I predict, with a painful familiarity, that my place lies somewhere near the bottom.

Just like in real life!
Just like in real life!
I am by nature very competitive and in this regard Street Fighter has always been a bit of a block for me. The vast difference between the difficulty of the AI and the fury of another human player is perhaps too large for me to vault. I desperately want to win each fight, and while each loss is a valuable learning experience there's only so much battering my already bruised ego can take. The Street Fighter forums are loaded with users posting similar tales of woe and the reply of the soapy veterans there is always: Rinse and Repeat.

Occasionally I arrive at a place uncharted upon my virtual map.

I obtain a game I had no real interest in buying but have nevertheless somehow managed to acquire. Player one presses start, the ball begins to roll. Then, for reasons over which I have complete control, the adventure ends. My wretched capriciousness takes effect and I stop playing. Genuinely enjoyable games have been left, my will to play sapped for reasons unbeknown. Each time I vow to return, and each return is long coming, if at all.

For someone with such a completionist approach, this is heartbreaking. I curse myself for not finishing Batman, I get physically angry at my abandonment of Dragon Age: Origins, I shake with fury at my mental inability to complete Borderlands. My intentions upon the start of each adventure are so pure. These are games that I should finish. So why can't I?

No Caption Provided

Returning to a game that has previously been dropped is a strange sensation.

Those of you returning to titles such as World Of Warcraft after a lengthy hiatus will sympathize. Tactics, combos, layouts and button configurations all feel alien and strange. The story, in games that contain any story worth noting, feels irrelevant without it's previous context fresh in your mind. Characters and quests are approached as strangers. Familiarizing with each is possible but takes time. It's perhaps the most daunting aspect of returning to a game, and many people seem to work around it by simply restarting from the beginning.

When I begin each virtual escapade that fresh burst of enthusiasm is often paramount to my enjoyment of the game. It's the sense of exploring, finding and mastering unknown quantities. The worst feeling in a game is realizing it has nothing new left to offer. Is my attention span so mercurial that it requires constant progressive stimulation? Is this my fault, or the fault of the game? Am I being unreasonable in asking for more when everyone else seems so content to metaphorically hack away repetitively from start to finish? Am I alone in this? 

Progression in games may be an illusion, but if it's convincing enough then it's one i'm happy to entertain.

When I reach a point where I understand the concepts of a game and i'm told to Rinse and Repeat for the next 4 hours - there are two choices. If those mechanics feel comfortable then often I'm happy to humor them and allow the narrative to progress. Gears Of War would be a good example of this (for a given value of "Narrative"). The alternative is, upon realizing the task that lies ahead, to say "Fuck that!" and walk away. Perhaps the best way of explaining this is to reference the search for the Tri-Force Shards at the end of Wind Waker. I love that game, but I stopped playing at that point. I didn't have the patience to trudge around on that bullshit quest. The quantities, the tasks I would have to complete, were all known and failed to inspire any interest. 

No Caption Provided

And so Super Street Fighter 4 arrives tomorrow, a game to which the concept of a "known quantity" is a strength rather than a weakness. You can stop playing and restart years later and instantly feel right at home. There's something about it which taps into the primal understanding of videogames each of us shares. It remains constant. Men may die, empires may rise and fall, but I'm not ever going to forget how to launch a fireball.

Thanks For Reading
Love Sweep
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Momentum is a concept that must be encouraged

Especially when it comes to blogging.

Remain committed and dividends shall be repaid tenfold.

No Caption Provided

Super Street Fighter 4

arrives tomorrow Amazon permitting. The spectrum in which Street Fighting ability lies is vast and within it there is a place which I may occupy for the next few weeks. I predict, with a painful familiarity, that my place lies somewhere near the bottom.

Just like in real life!
Just like in real life!
I am by nature very competitive and in this regard Street Fighter has always been a bit of a block for me. The vast difference between the difficulty of the AI and the fury of another human player is perhaps too large for me to vault. I desperately want to win each fight, and while each loss is a valuable learning experience there's only so much battering my already bruised ego can take. The Street Fighter forums are loaded with users posting similar tales of woe and the reply of the soapy veterans there is always: Rinse and Repeat.

Occasionally I arrive at a place uncharted upon my virtual map.

I obtain a game I had no real interest in buying but have nevertheless somehow managed to acquire. Player one presses start, the ball begins to roll. Then, for reasons over which I have complete control, the adventure ends. My wretched capriciousness takes effect and I stop playing. Genuinely enjoyable games have been left, my will to play sapped for reasons unbeknown. Each time I vow to return, and each return is long coming, if at all.

For someone with such a completionist approach, this is heartbreaking. I curse myself for not finishing Batman, I get physically angry at my abandonment of Dragon Age: Origins, I shake with fury at my mental inability to complete Borderlands. My intentions upon the start of each adventure are so pure. These are games that I should finish. So why can't I?

No Caption Provided

Returning to a game that has previously been dropped is a strange sensation.

Those of you returning to titles such as World Of Warcraft after a lengthy hiatus will sympathize. Tactics, combos, layouts and button configurations all feel alien and strange. The story, in games that contain any story worth noting, feels irrelevant without it's previous context fresh in your mind. Characters and quests are approached as strangers. Familiarizing with each is possible but takes time. It's perhaps the most daunting aspect of returning to a game, and many people seem to work around it by simply restarting from the beginning.

When I begin each virtual escapade that fresh burst of enthusiasm is often paramount to my enjoyment of the game. It's the sense of exploring, finding and mastering unknown quantities. The worst feeling in a game is realizing it has nothing new left to offer. Is my attention span so mercurial that it requires constant progressive stimulation? Is this my fault, or the fault of the game? Am I being unreasonable in asking for more when everyone else seems so content to metaphorically hack away repetitively from start to finish? Am I alone in this? 

Progression in games may be an illusion, but if it's convincing enough then it's one i'm happy to entertain.

When I reach a point where I understand the concepts of a game and i'm told to Rinse and Repeat for the next 4 hours - there are two choices. If those mechanics feel comfortable then often I'm happy to humor them and allow the narrative to progress. Gears Of War would be a good example of this (for a given value of "Narrative"). The alternative is, upon realizing the task that lies ahead, to say "Fuck that!" and walk away. Perhaps the best way of explaining this is to reference the search for the Tri-Force Shards at the end of Wind Waker. I love that game, but I stopped playing at that point. I didn't have the patience to trudge around on that bullshit quest. The quantities, the tasks I would have to complete, were all known and failed to inspire any interest. 

No Caption Provided

And so Super Street Fighter 4 arrives tomorrow, a game to which the concept of a "known quantity" is a strength rather than a weakness. You can stop playing and restart years later and instantly feel right at home. There's something about it which taps into the primal understanding of videogames each of us shares. It remains constant. Men may die, empires may rise and fall, but I'm not ever going to forget how to launch a fireball.

Thanks For Reading
Love Sweep
CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By CaptainObvious

You didn't finish Batman? Get out of here. 

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Oni

Finish Batman. Or he will come to you in the night and snap your neck.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sweep  Moderator

:'(

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Hahaha, says the people with Batman avatars. 

Don't listen to 'em Sweep, finish what you want.

JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By JerkFace

You and I are quite the same on all of those points.  If a game gets tedious to me, I am incredibly likely to move on - even though I hate the fact that I'm doing it!  I think part of it, for me, is the stage of life that I'm in right now.  I have kids, two jobs, a bunch of bull shit I have to do all the time.  So for me, my time is precious.  So if I'm playing Dragon Age and looking at the disgusting popsicle-stick trees and getting tired of being party wiped by random encounters.. well, like you said, fuck that.  I did the same thing for Batman, though the reason on there is less clear.  It was a good game, but for some reason it just didn't click with me.  But while that may be fine for your average gamer, it's not enough for me.  With all the great triple-A games out there these days, I need to be compelled mercilessly to move forward by something in a game (be it story, level progression, completionism, whatever) or else I may just move on.

And, like you, I just picked up SSF4 even though I was brutally murdered in literally every match I played in the original SF4 last year.  And I'm not sure why I got it again!  But if you're looking for someone to match up with who will not destroy you (and if you have it on 360), add me:  xJERKFACEx

Noodlearms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Noodlearms

Great read. 
I'm the same way. I start a game, get pretty close to the end, and then get my attention grabbed by another game. Out of all the games I have, I've probably actually finished about 1/4 of them.

xync4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By xync4

I do need to finish Ratchet & Clank Crack in Time... 
& that annoying part near the end of Half Life 2 Episode 2 didn't seem worth going back to 
Fallout 3 & Dragon Age are games I'm afraid of getting sucked into 
& Torchlight is more of a guilty pleasure drug addiction than a game 

& the Gamefly's keep coming too!

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Red12b
@AlwaysAngry said:

" Hahaha, says the people with Batman avatars.  Don't listen to 'em Sweep, finish what you want. "

Noticed that too. 

You are not alone in this brother, In Sandbox games I do what Brad did in this weeks Bombcast and just roam, Unless the story grabs me, I leave it after 10-15 hours, My Flatmate and I play Fallout 3, actually, we just rented it again, I should buy the damn game, I should Buy the GOTY edition, but I haven't, We started a New game, and because of Vats I just watch,  
Where am I going with this? I dunno,  

Nice way of brining it back to Street Fighter, My flatmate is great in that game, I used to be alright when I owned the Arcade version years and years ago, 12 years old, Street Fighter 2 in my Garage, one of those big arse arcades, Fucking cool, But I can't play it on the Console, It just doesn't compute with me,  
Dhalsim was my bitch.  

Good blog man.
cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By cap123

i'm going down to gamestation to pick up SSFIV tomorrow, i will be just as bad :'(

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikkaQ

I still haven't finished batman, so I'm with you. I want to though... but there's just too many other games.

D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By D0tti

I agree with you about leaving a game as fast as I feel it gets tedious, I did that with Borderlands just said "fuck it" after I was close to the end and don't really see my self going back to end it. But otherwise i've finish every ps3 game I have(besides the sports games and Burnout that don't really have an ending), I just started playing the Liberty City episodes yesterday.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Cwaff

I do this all the time and it really annoys me... I like to finish what I start and if you have a break it seems that that's where the adventure ends. I haven't played FF13 in well over a week, I need to do so else I will never finish it!

rargy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#14  Edited By rargy

I've been pretty good with completing most games but whenever i start an RPG i know the odds are always against me finishing it.  I feel a fuck that moment is in my future with FFXIII.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By fwylo

Nice Sweep I picked up SSFIV last night.  I didn't buy the first one and I'm so glad I didn't for the fact that buying this one made it that much better of a deal.  Although I'll have a lot of catching up to do if I plan on being any good at it I guess. I figure you got it on your sexbox? If not I'm on PS3 we should throw down some time.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Tylea002
@Sweep said:
"Ewhen it comes to blogging. Remain committed and dividends shall be repaid tenfold."
Amen.

Ahem.

Anyway, good blog my man! I too am getting my SSFIV on tomorrow, but alas will be much shittier than you at it.
JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JeevesPleez

I can sympathize. I've made a list dedicated to the games I haven't finished, and you're right. Going back to most of these games after months (or years) of not playing them can be... disorienting, to say the least.

When it comes to fighting games, however, I've never been able to wrap my head around them despite a few attempts. So, let me know how your SSFIV trek goes!

EDIT: Thank you (near the end).

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rowr

nice blog, i understand entirely.

I will never finish half life or bioshock. Maybe i will finish half life 2? probably not.

I will never get to play just cause two or batman through, after watching other people play them -  i just cant find the interest to see it all again.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FunExplosions

Thanks to my external hard drive, there are... hang on, lemme count... 39 games installed on my computer. All their icons are on my desktop. 14 of these games I have yet to finish. These are full-length games, too. It's pretty depressing.

Instead of widdling down on that number one game at a time, it seems that I keep adding to it as time goes by. The worst part is that these are top-notch games. Games like Beyond Good & Evil, Mirror's Edge, Bioshock, Zeno Clash, Escape from Butcher Bay, and The Witcher, to name a handful. I usually end up just staring at my desktop, scanning the possible candidates. Ten minutes goes by, I say "fuck it," and end up playing Audiosurf or posting on here for two hours.

I think the explanation for it comes down to just one word. Steam.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Brendan

Now that we're being honest, I can't seem to finish Batman, or play other games, because I keep using my limited free time to play ME2.  I'm on my 3rd playthrough :'(   I need help!
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Claude

When I sweep my memories, I sweep the fail. I field all my questions for said game, and look forward to the next attempt. No quarter.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By vaiz

I don't have a Batman avatar. Finish Batman.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By TwoLines

Yeah, the second Riddick (The WORST momentum in VG so far), Dragon Age and Crysis are my latest victims. Couldn't finish them, and now it's too late.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bigandtasty

I have definitely had that "it feels weird coming back" feeling. It was most visible with GTA IV when I came back to play The Lost & Damned. Everything just felt so weird after playing a lot of games with a fast, loose pace.

SkinnyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By SkinnyBlue

Good read, and I agree with everything you said. I always seem to stop playing games before finishing them, only to come back and feel completeley disoriented with how to play or what the game is even about. I've been struggling to keep myself playing Dragon Age ever since I bought it in December, and haven't been able to come back to Dead Space after having slowly made my way through it over the past few months. And then there are games that I come back to that I hadn't played for a long time, games like Gears of War 2 and especially Modern Warfare that I feel I can't play anymore because I can't keep up with the more consistent players. I feel your pain, and I have just as much trouble as you do and others do with focusing your attention on one game at a time. Good luck!