MMO drinking game: Do a shot every time an MMO dies

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Jost1

Why do companies bother making MMOs, I will never understand this. It's like repeatedly banging your head into a wall after having watched other people do it, and seeing how painful it is.  I'm not even remotely a business person but doesn't it seem like common fucking sense?

The market has been cornered. Mostly by WoW, partly by EVE Online and other small but stable userbase-MMOs. Anything that even resembles a typical Everquest/WoW game will NOT be able to survive. Can someone explain to me why someone like Cryptic would even bother?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Hamz

Cryptic opted to go the casual MMO route with both Champions and Star Trek Online. The sad fact is that the casual MMO has a short lifespan as arguably the reason anyone plays an MMO is for long term enjoyment and consistent content patches and updates being released presenting an almost never ending stream of fun and entertainment.

With Cryptic however they figured they could charge people the same amount each month as Blizzard does for WoW but provide 1/10 of the content and expect people to continue subscribing month after month. 

Frankly I'm hoping DC Universe Online and Star Wars: The Old Republic will be good MMOs because after Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Champions & Star Trek Online being grave disappointments I'm losing faith.

LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By LeetBalla

Cryptic's "City of Heroes/Villains" series is moderately successful. The game has a devoted fan base and active community. Though their latest ventures, Champions Online and Star Trek Online, have not been as successful. A studio like Cryptic has talent that specializes in MMO's, understandably they keep producing more of them.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jost1

I recently cancelled my own subscription to Star Trek Online and I doubt I'll be dipping my toes in any more of these games unless they get REALLY good word of mouth

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@Hamz said:
" Cryptic opted to go the casual MMO route with both Champions and Star Trek Online. The sad fact is that the casual MMO has a short lifespan as arguably the reason anyone plays an MMO is for long term enjoyment and consistent content patches and updates being released presenting an almost never ending stream of fun and entertainment.  With Cryptic however they figured they could charge people the same amount each month as Blizzard does for WoW but provide 1/10 of the content and expect people to continue subscribing month after month.   Frankly I'm hoping DC Universe Online and Star Wars: The Old Republic will be good MMOs because after Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Champions & Star Trek Online being grave disappointments I'm losing faith. "
Age of Conan is the only one out of those that actually bounced back and fixed a ton of shit while adding a load of content.
War only has a few servers left while Champions and Star Trek from what I hear are declining slowly.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

The title of this thread is legitimately funny.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By meteora

At this rate everyone in this thread will end up drunk with every MMO theoretically dying or declining.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Time_Lord

The odds of sucsses might be slim but if an mmo gets even half the numbers wow dose they will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Bones8677

Is Star Wars Galaxies still online, because I would love to see the Giant Bomb guys go through that game next. ^.^

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hamz
@Bucketdeth: You are spot on there. I almost resubscribed to AoC a week or two back when I heard they had some expansions on the way and had added a tonne of extra content to the game while rebalancing a lot of existing errors. But I didn't because while I do love the setting, dark and mature like it is, I'm done with fantasy MMOs. I mean the genre is saturated in them, lets move on to comic and sci-fi MMOs please!

Also other than the fact WAR now costs thousands to play each month the biggest issue I had with that game is how much it relied on you to grind PvP to advance in PvE and how frankly the lag was unplayable. Not to mention server crashes each time the Tier 4 players decided to invade the opposing Tier 4 city. Something that ruined my time playing it all too often :(

I also forgot to mention Guild Wars 2 is another upcoming MMO-ish game I look forward too. I want to be an Asuran Warrior so badly!
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

That's like one, maybe two shots a year, dude. I need more alcohol in me before this gets at all interesting.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jost1
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" The title of this thread is legitimately funny. "
Thanks!
Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jost1
@Hamz said:
" @Bucketdeth: You are spot on there. I almost resubscribed to AoC a week or two back when I heard they had some expansions on the way and had added a tonne of extra content to the game while rebalancing a lot of existing errors. But I didn't because while I do love the setting, dark and mature like it is, I'm done with fantasy MMOs. I mean the genre is saturated in them, lets move on to comic and sci-fi MMOs please!  Also other than the fact WAR now costs thousands to play each month the biggest issue I had with that game is how much it relied on you to grind PvP to advance in PvE and how frankly the lag was unplayable. Not to mention server crashes each time the Tier 4 players decided to invade the opposing Tier 4 city. Something that ruined my time playing it all too often :(  I also forgot to mention Guild Wars 2 is another upcoming MMO-ish game I look forward too. I want to be an Asuran Warrior so badly! "
Guild Wars 2 does seem interesting, is it still gonna be free to play?
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hamz
@josty81: From what I know they still plan on making it free to play :)
Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Mono_Listo

I think many developers want to gun for a MMO because if (big if) they can capture a moderately sized audience (depending upon production costs, as few as 50k), they can turn a long term profit. Like Champions Online or Age of Conan, for example.  There's not many players for either, relatively speaking, but the development of each game employed plenty of people for years, and many of them for years after release (potentially).

Generally speaking, I've given up on MMOs unless they promise to offer things that other non-MMOs do. Like voice acting, branching story lines, that kind of thing. Because for as big as any existing MMO world is, I've found that the games themselves actually offer little depth or replayability compared to AAA RPGs aimed at different markets (Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, etc). And I am tired as shit of endless quest-driven, non-interactive/non context sensitive quests that are all extremely similar.

So pretty much I'm waiting on Star Wars: The Old Republic. I hope Bioware can deliver.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Tennmuerti
@josty81: Because Cryptic does not produce high quality MMOs , their production costs are actually quite low. Yet they are able to make a profit even if the MMO is crap and stagnates because they keep making new ones and people get fooled into buying them or worse yet purchusing lifetime subscriptions. Best example is Giant Bomb's very own Jeff. They found a niche where they do not have to produce superb competitive MMOs yet the game's hype and Licence sells enough copies. Sure they do not make infinite money like Blizzard but they have not tanked yet either.
In other words they bother becouse they still make a profit.
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Hamz said:
" Cryptic opted to go the casual MMO route with both Champions and Star Trek Online. The sad fact is that the casual MMO has a short lifespan as arguably the reason anyone plays an MMO is for long term enjoyment and consistent content patches and updates being released presenting an almost never ending stream of fun and entertainment.  With Cryptic however they figured they could charge people the same amount each month as Blizzard does for WoW but provide 1/10 of the content and expect people to continue subscribing month after month.   Frankly I'm hoping DC Universe Online and Star Wars: The Old Republic will be good MMOs because after Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Champions & Star Trek Online being grave disappointments I'm losing faith. "
So does that mean you think that STO will fail? Or do you think Cryptic can pull out of the ditch? Maybe cut the price of the game.
Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kohe321

No thanks, I want to live.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By Astras

MMO's are dead to me

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jost1
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Hamz said:
So does that mean you think that STO will fail? Or do you think Cryptic can pull out of the ditch? Maybe cut the price of the game. "
Once the novelty of WHOA I'M IN STAR TREK wore off the game quickly revealed how shallow it is and I'm pretty sure it won't last long
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@josty81 said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Hamz said:
So does that mean you think that STO will fail? Or do you think Cryptic can pull out of the ditch? Maybe cut the price of the game. "
Once the novelty of WHOA I'M IN STAR TREK wore off the game quickly revealed how shallow it is and I'm pretty sure it won't last long "
Wonder if they will refund all the life time people. Or pull a " Either your life time or life time of the game" Lol
Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Mono_Listo

On the topic of Cryptic, they have struck upon a business model that works well in the short term - and within the current MMO lull. I'm sure their top echelon have earned enough to be comfortable for years, so regardless of what happens we will see them again. Unfortunately for gamers, their products are vapid and shallow and won't sustain themselves once real competition once again enters the market (not just WoW, because that monster is in a class of its own).

STO is the epitome of fast food MMO subscription-based development. I hope that's not a trend. Because that shit should have been free to play.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Tennmuerti
@The_Laughing_Man: They will not refund anything. It has always been the lifetime of the game.
Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Guild Wars 2 and The Old Republic will be the only succesful new MMO's in the near future. From the looks of it, Cryptic is focusing on rapidly developing MMO's that are even more shallow, boring and heavy on grinding than those crappy free to play Korean games.