Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: Wii U vs 3DS

ravage484

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ravage484

Hey guys, I've never played a Monster Hunter game, but I really think that I might enjoy it. The difficulty curve is something that intrigues me, but I don't have a Wii U. How does the gameplay compare to the 3DS version? Would it be "doable" on the 3DS?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

If you want to make your life easier, I strongly suggest a Circle Pad Pro for the 3DS version. First off, the controls with the CPP are identical to the WiiU one, and as someone who has played a LOT of MH on the PSP, now I have the CPP I am tearing through monsters far better than I was able to in the demo (which didn't support it). I'd almost say it is legitimately required for underwater combat.

On land combat is doable without the CPP, the lock on isn't too bad (although I found it was unresponsive when it was on single tap L, changing it to double tap helped.) The game gives you a lot of choice when it comes to customising controls and such. The gameplay and content of the 3DS version is otherwise identical to the WiiU one. The 3D is gorgeous and you don't really notice the graphics difference on the smaller screen. I think it looks great.

If no online MP is a dealbreaker for you though, take a long thought about it. Local multi is way better in this game anyway, but if you have no-one to play with then obviously that's an issue. There is still swathes of content for singleplayer however, I'm over 15 hours in already single player only, the single player quests will amount to well over 20 hours for a new player easily (I've blasted through them all because I already know how to play). Plus, from my previous experience with the franchise, you can just about solo the multiplayer quests too. It's where the game gets really hard, but it'll make you a better hunter while you're at it ;) You might be stuck by like HR 6 onwards though, although grinding out some better gear make it achievable.

ravage484

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ravage484

Wow that was surprisingly thorough! Thank you very much. I think I'm gonna give it a shot. Do you know if they plan on making the 3DS version multiplayer not attached to a WiiU? Because you're probably right, that the single play might suffice for quite some time, but I hear that the multiplayer is really where that game shines.