Most comfortable current-gen gaming controller?

• 77 results
MisterSims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Most comfortable current-gen gaming controller? (554 votes)

PS4 Dual Shock 4 Controller 44%
Nintendo Switch Pro Controller 10%
Xbox One Controller 25%
Xbox Elite Controller 19%
Steam Controller 2%

Though not exactly realistic, preferably, answers would come from those who have gamed at least one session on each controller, for comparison sake.

If you haven't used the Steam controller, that's fine. Not many people I know who have.

Wondering what you duders think!

• 
Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quipido said:

This poll is doomed to result in the PS4 one winning because most people have it and will vote for it for that reason alone.

Exactly. Last gen it was pretty much unanimous that the Xbox 360 controller was the best console controller and for PC. All of a sudden that has changed even though the controllers barely have. It's all about I'm gonna vote for the choice I made regardless of reality. hah

JoeDangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. One / PS4 / Switch PRO are all tied for the top. They're all pretty comfortable.
  2. Only thing I'd rank lower than all other current controllers are Joy-cons. Those are super uncomfortable to hold for more than 5 minutes. They're much more tolerable when attached to the Switch, but slide them off and I'll be begging to put them back on.
Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the Xbox 1s controller is the best I've used so far. I like the USB-C charging on the Switch pro controller as well. PS4 is a little less comfortable for me.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I think both the Dualshock 4 and the Xbox controller feel very nice in my big meaty paws. I might give the slight edge to the Xbox controller, but they're both great!

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I didn't think the 360 controller could be beat, then I put hands on the DS4.

ShiraNoMai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the DS4 is probably the most comfortable in terms of layout, but all the complaints about the battery life, the share button being too close to the d-pad, and the grips being a bit short are completely valid. Grip comfort has to go to the Switch Pro, for me. Also that battery life is godly compared to the DS4. I'm thankful I have 3 different DS4s to cycle through when they run low, but wow is that annoying to do every game session.

professorx86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pfft what the hell are you guys smoking, the PS4 controller is dog sh*t in comparison to the standard Xbox One controller. Not even a fair fight, easily the most comfortable controller for the console and PC alike. Ya'll are crazy...

pg77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the PS4 controller but hate the battery life.

The Xbox One controller is great, just doesn't feel right when playing a fighting game.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By haneybd87

I really don’t see how so many people think the DS4 is better than the XB1 controller. Sure it’s a major improvement over DS3 but it’s still too small (there’s nowhere comfortable for your middle fingers to grip), the triggers are too squishy and the sticks aren’t quite grippy enough. The XB1 and Pro Controllers conform to hands much better. The reason XB1 beats the Pro Controller IMO is because the D-Pad on the Pro is awful, it’s raised way too high with edges that are way too angular, also if you play Lumines or Puyo Puyo Tetris you’ll have noticed how hitting left and right often triggers an up or down press which is really, really bad for those games. Lastly it’s too easy to accidentally hit the bumpers on that pro controller.

Edit: Forgot to mention the abysmal battery life on the DS4, truly amazing how badly they screwed that up.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The PS4 doesn't really have many flaws besides some squishy triggers. The Xbox is solid, but despite its good dpad and heft it just doesn't match the perfect feel of the 360.

I've been enjoying the Switch Pro controller, as well.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: Very short battery life, somewhat uncomfortable to hold are 2 more flaws.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#65  Edited By liquiddragon

I like the PS4 controller but the option and share buttons are super weak. Really don't like those tiny things.

Also wish the controller was slightly smaller.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By haneybd87

One thing I will knock the XB1 controller for is how loud the rumble is. People complain about the Switch rumble volume but have they ever heard the XB1 controller? It’s really loud. I’ll give that to the DS4, at least it’s quiet.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#69  Edited By big_denim

I'll hold my 3 steam controllers close to my chest and acknowledge the fact that I'm a deranged monster. (ಥ﹏ಥ)

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Having recently put some time in with the Switch Pro Controller, that is a quality device.

m3talman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While the Duke was nice for my big hands, the DS4 is so smooth, I dig it.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avantegardener: I thought so too until I started playing Lumines and Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Dual Shock 4 is the most comfortable controller I've ever used

Bonbonetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#74  Edited By Bonbonetti

Even though I mainly play on Playstation, the Xbox controllers have always felt better to me, especially the basic XBox One version (haven't tried Elite). It sits fantastically in my hands. I really wish I could use it for my PS4 :-)

I've never really liked the Playstation controllers because of how the analog sticks are positioned. I play a large number of racing games and having the analog sticks in this position does not feel great when I'm playing.

oldgamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xbox will always be most comfort

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Confusing because the Elite option is not labeled as Xbox One Elite.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I like the shape of the steam controller (just got one on sale) but it feels cheap and the controls definitely have a learning curve.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I didn't vote because I haven't used a Switch Pro Controller, but my heart is with the Dualshick 4. It's nice and weighty, stiff sticks, the triggers have solid resistance, and it rests well in the hand. I find the Xbox controllers are a little heavy towards the back and I extremely dislike the bumpers.