Most Fun open world game?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

What do you think is the most fun open world game you ever played has been? for me it has to be Saint's Row the Third this is game that to me that finally felt like it could hold it's own against GTA .Even though GTA series has my favorite open world games of all time I think SRTT has the most fun side activities and the melee combat is ridiculous in a good way it also has a pretty good sense of humor.The customization and leveling up of your character abilities is addictive as hell. GTA san andreas would probably be second on my list but the game today doesn't hold up as good as it use to.I been replaying Saints Row the Third the past couple days and it's just has a pure fun feeling even to this day so what is your guys most fun open world game?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Saints Row the third is definitely up there. It was great to see a developer just go "yeah, cheat codes are fun" and throw them all in there as part of your normal power progression. GTAV is up there too, no doubt. Just Cause 2 as well. Beyond that I'd have to think about it some! WoW probably doesn't count as it's an MMO, but I definitely dug wandering around in there.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Just Cause 2, and Red Faction Guerrilla come to mind from last gen.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

San Andreas. There's just so much shit to do in that game. I mean you had gang wars, you could pimp your ride with hydraulics, you could dance at clubs, use a jetpack, change clothes, get fat, get fit and on and on. Current GTA's just don't have that same charm.

All I want in today's world is a GTA that let's you get fat and use a jetpack. It's not too much to ask for.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

SRTT's open world got nothin' on Saints Row 2. Hell, of all the SR games SRTT easily has the most boring open world.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a toss up between Metal Gear Solid V or Fallout 4 because of the way those games play. I will always prefer a game that has unlocks and allows me to play the game the way I want to, while I loathe any game that has a set style and punishes players that want to do anything different.

MGS V has all the grinding I love while providing player mechanics that feel so tight, yet they are designed well enough that it feels like it can adapt to any style I bring to it.

Fallout 4 has my favourite world to get lost in, I love just exploring an area and this world feels bespoke when you compare it to anything else. For example, I was at the top of a building in FO4 and wanted to parkour my way down to the bottom (instead of taking the long dungeon route). I started hopping down I swear that one of the designers built this tower with my asshole jumping around in mind. There were too many convenient ledges and outcrops for it to be random, or an exploit and its that level of attention to detail that makes this game stand out for me.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assassins creed 2- not sure how it holds up though.

Arkham city - i did every riddler challenge... nuff said lol

Mgsv - most fun ive had since i played the other games on the list. Fell apart a bit in part 2 but man did i have a good time with this game.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pitfall 2.

You can walk right OR left!!

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Onemanarmyy

GTA Vice City because it was my first 3d GTA game, so that was a cool novelty. That game had style. San Andreas had a ton more stuff in it though.

Oblivion was also fairly memorable because it was my first elders scrolls game.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Red Faction: Guerilla. Blowing up buildings is fun, but GeoMod 2.0 with some kick ass weapons was great. Occasionally, I'd go to a cleared base after a hectic mission and just knock it down piece by piece. So good, so good.

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Toejam & Earl.

Avatar image for williamflattener
williamflattener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@yummylee said:

SRTT's open world got nothin' on Saints Row 2. Hell, of all the SR games SRTT easily has the most boring open world.

Can you expound on this? What was good about 2? I thought they executed really well on the open world in The Third, but haven't played any Saints Rows that came before.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#13 fisk0  Moderator

Elite II: Frontier, after 25 years I've still not exhausted all the content in there.

If we're talking GTA style stuff I'm leaning towards Red Faction: Guerrilla or Mercenaries.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Saints Row 2 outstayed its welcome. I really need to finish Crackdown.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

For me:

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  2. Skyrim

Newer games have replaced older games. I've had a blast with GTA San Andres and Oblivion when they came out, but better or newer games have come out since then.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My gut instinct is to say Saint's 3, but when I really thing about it, I loved the story missions and crazy characters, but did not really like the open world exploration or activities.

I think my vote goes to Sleeping Dogs. I thought the world was amazing to explore, be it for missions, or just because I wanted to see a digital version of a Chinese city. And the game played really well, so that helps.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oblivion. The first Bethesda game I played and one of my first Xbox 360 games, probably lost 100s of hours to it. Shivering Isles was a great expansion as well.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Fun is a pretty subjective thing but I'd say for me

1. Dragon's Dogma : Dark Arisen
  2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  3. Sleeping Dogs
  4. Saints Row 2 or 3
pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oblivion, RDR, Fallout NV, Fallout 4, Dragon's Dogma:DA

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@yummylee said:

SR3 was Saints Row: Trying Too Hard for me. Saints 2 was the pinnacle of that series, and also deserves a lot of credit for being the first game to do co-op in this style of game the right way, which ofc allowed for everything fun to be massively more fun.

I wouldn't say GTA has been especially 'fun' since the GTA 3 games.

There are better open world games, but for 'most fun' I'd probably say Saints Row 2 or Burnout Paradise. Maybe even Pirates! Gold still.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@yummylee said:

Saints Row 2 has the mini game where you spray sewage on people which they shockingly took away in SR3. The only thing SR3 improved on from 2 was the combat, which was still weak. Everything else was a step back.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mizzurna Falls.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Souls.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Saints Row 2 and 3 definitely had the most fun side stuff to do. I think Sleeping Dogs was on the right track there as well. And apart from the gross hostess bullshit, the Yakuza games have some really fun worlds to explore and play in.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The most fun? In recent memory MGS V. But If I look back on the one open world game that truly blew me away it was Morrowind. I had a lot of fun with GTA III and even the original Driver but those were trivial compared to TESIII.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My personal favorites are Just Cause 2 and Skyrim because they're both incredibly massive and exploration is awesome. Just Cause 2 was a bit empty though, even still, the scenery alone was pretty great.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

I have to go with GTAV for the PS4. Some of the first person adventures I had were exhilarating.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#29  Edited By Yummylee

@williamflattener said:

@yummylee said:

Can you expound on this? What was good about 2? I thought they executed really well on the open world in The Third, but haven't played any Saints Rows that came before.

Certain aspects like the controls haven't aged well, but there's a lot more going on in SR2 than there was in SRTT.

• More customisation options across the board - different walking animations, more layers of clothing that can be adjusted, more body types, more car customisation options, customisable crib interiors, different fighting styles to choose from, and you can even choose your character's default facial expression.
  • More varied activities, such as playing as a bodyguard and having to defend celebrities by throwing fans into cement mixers or in front of speeding trains and the like. And FUZZ, which is a parody of shows like Cops where you dress up as a police officer and wreak havoc. You can also pick up pretty much anything (beyond cars and stuff) and then use it as a melee weapon if not throw it at people.
  • The world itself also has a lot more dynamic events going on, such as witnessing cops engage in gunfights against gangs or pimps, as well as civilians actually doing and saying stuff as opposed to just walking along sidewalks. There are phone numbers advertised all over the world you can call up as well; some provide an actual benefit such as taxis, other simply exist to provide a joke. Seriously, by comparison nothing happens in SRTT's world. The only weirdness you're to encounter is the occasional mascot walking around, otherwise Steelport is completely dead. If you want to see stupid shit happening, you have to be the instigator, whereas in SR2 stupid shit will happen all on its own thanks to the AI systems in place.

I could go into even greater depth as to what makes SR2 such a better open world game, but it's been a while so my memory's a little fuzzy in certain respects. Really wish it could get remastered with the better controls of SRTT.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Red Dead Redemption. Not because there were lots of fun things to do but because of the special feeling I got from that world.

megabattimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By megabattimus

Westerado. Not even kidding. Just the amount of stuff you can do and all the crazy shit you can find in that game is amazing for what it is.

SR3 and Sleeping Dogs are also pretty up there for me. Really itching to go back to those and play them all the way through again, especially Sleeping Dogs.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By hippie_genocide

I have fun playing good games. RDR is the most good open world game so it is the most fun.

Theidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Control 2

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

The most fun I've had in an open world game has been MGSV in recent memory.

Red Dead Redemption matches it.

Fallout New Vegas is my favorite OWG, though it isn't as fun as either of those.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In terms of just raw fun, it would probably be Grand Theft Auto III. I played that game for months before I even figured out there was a main story. I would just put in cheats and wreck havoc on the world.

RDR and Witcher 3 are the open world games I had the most exploring.

ptshooter619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 3 was my favorite open world game. The game was just so immersive that I'd end up playing for 8 hours and not even realize it.

cindyvg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I think the same as majority the most open world games include GTA at the top, in which you have so much interaction with the people you can steel cars, you have a gf lolx and you spend time with friends as well.