Motion control past/present/future

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By bhhawks78

Am I the only one cringing at the thought of natal/sony motion controller future?

I love my wii and ps3, but in this entire generation the only games I thought were better for motion controls were
Wii sports/sports resort
Shattered Memories
....?
(I guess you could count sports active but workout games are more equivalent to expensive iphone apps, not games to me.)

Every other game that incorporated motion control was at best slightly worse for it (example KZ 2's pointless valves using motion) or at worst turned the game to utter shit.

Am i an asshole for hoping ps360 motion control crashes and burns before it has a chance to taint pc gaming and the next generation of consoles?

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

You haven't played the good motion control games then.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By c1337us

Yes and no. If they can do it without try to force shitty motion controls down my throat by shoe horning it into every single game release and actually develop games to utilise them I am excited for it. I want games as they are now to co exist with games with motion control. Not everything to be motion control.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MrKlorox

That future is going to happen, except it won't be a future that replaces controllers. Instead the various "motion control" technologies will combine with the standard controller style to make the best interface yet. In the future. Certainly don't expect it to happen this generation.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By bhhawks78
@Meowayne said:
" You haven't played the good motion control games then. "
Well then point me in the right direction.  

The best wii game's I've ever played that use motion control (besides what I mentioned in the OP)

Mario Galaxy - motion controls were just annoying tacked on, would have been an even better game without them.
NSMB wii -same as galaxy just annoyingly tacked on but not that much of a barrier
No more heroes 1/2 - Besides the first time powering the sword which was admittedly funny I think the games would both play better without them. 
Punchout - miles better playing nes style
Mario Kart wii - again way better just ignoring the motion control
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Meowayne

Well if you didn't think NMH or SMB benefitted from the gesture input, then I guess I don't need to list the games I think are great because of it.

But I don't think you need to worry. Neither Natal nor Arc are designed in a way that they can replace the controller, and from what I gather, both aren't meant to. On top of that, they are both vision based, which is a huge hinderance in them becoming something of a standard. And the Wiimote has always and will always support any controlling style you like, from traditional to completely motion-based and anything inbetween. 

Zangeki no Reginleiv supports the Classic Controller, but also supports MotionPlus - and the way you play the game depends on your personal preference. This is the future of gaming as I would like to see it. I love gesture controls done right, but I cannot deny that there is a huge crowd of people completely opposed to them.