Musical Discoveries

crimsonclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By crimsonclown

I have to thank Vice City for a lot of things. Countless hours of fun, an engrossing story, a fascinating look at 80s culture, a finely crafted world. But perhaps most of all, for igniting my love affair with Iron Maiden. V-Rock, 2 Minutes to Midnight. The second the song's opening guitar riff begun, I was captivated. And I've not looked back since, until now. This led to my first purchase of a music CD. Edward The Great, a Maiden hits compilation. I was blown away, with Fear of the Dark live at Rock in Rio being of the most mesmerizing pieces of audio I had ever heard. 

More recently, I have to thank Mass Effect. Again, a wonderful game full of fantastic features but musically, that credits song. M4 by Faunts. On yet another occasion, a game proved to be a gateway to the discovery of music that just clicked with me. 

I'm sure this has happened to me with many other games but these two really standout as the artists I'm most grateful for discovering. I can't imagine I'm the only one this has happened to, what with the rise of licensed soundtracks in games throughout the past two generations of consoles. What music have you discovered because of video games? 

crimsonclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By crimsonclown

I have to thank Vice City for a lot of things. Countless hours of fun, an engrossing story, a fascinating look at 80s culture, a finely crafted world. But perhaps most of all, for igniting my love affair with Iron Maiden. V-Rock, 2 Minutes to Midnight. The second the song's opening guitar riff begun, I was captivated. And I've not looked back since, until now. This led to my first purchase of a music CD. Edward The Great, a Maiden hits compilation. I was blown away, with Fear of the Dark live at Rock in Rio being of the most mesmerizing pieces of audio I had ever heard. 

More recently, I have to thank Mass Effect. Again, a wonderful game full of fantastic features but musically, that credits song. M4 by Faunts. On yet another occasion, a game proved to be a gateway to the discovery of music that just clicked with me. 

I'm sure this has happened to me with many other games but these two really standout as the artists I'm most grateful for discovering. I can't imagine I'm the only one this has happened to, what with the rise of licensed soundtracks in games throughout the past two generations of consoles. What music have you discovered because of video games? 

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Play Alan Wake.

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By empfeix

I remember discovering Sonic Mayhem after playing Quake 2.  Still one of my favorite videogame producers.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Meltac
@GunslingerPanda said:
" Play Alan Wake. "
Or Max Payne 2.
Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Interfect

DJ Hero's soundtrack is pretty badass. Definitely worth "finding" on the interwebz.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Lots of games have tickled my fancy with their licensed songs (Tony Hawk, GTA series, Saint's Row).
But for example the Borderlands music (Ain't no rest for the wicked and There ain't no heaven) were great finds.

I do sincerely thank Sega for making Shadow the Hedgehog, with Powerman 5000 in it, making me an instant fan and it has been my favorite band by far since then.

crimsonclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By crimsonclown
@TaliciaDragonsong: Tony Hawk, definitely. THPS3 had a cracking soundtrack,  Ace of Spades was great to skate around to.