My 545$ build, before tax and shipping, leave tips and help.

sorawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sorawesome

This will be my first build ever, I've never built a computer before but I know what I need and for me to get that it would cost probably 1000+ at a store, so here is my build, leave comments and helpful tips.  
PS: I don't understand graphics cards whatsoever but this is a budget build but I can still add 50$ to the pot if it means a way better graphics card.

Qty.Product DescriptionSavingsTotal Price

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 320GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #:N82E16822152244
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

$43.99

Antec Basiq BP430 430W Continuous Power Power Supply
Item #:N82E16817371023

-$15.00 Instant
$59.99
$44.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
Item #: N82E16832116754
Return Policy: Software Standard Return Policy

-$10.00 Instant
-$15.00 Combo
$109.99
$84.99

PowerColor Radeon HD 4850 V3 AX4850 512MD3-HV3 Video Card
Item #:N82E16814131365
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy

$99.75

LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04
Item #:N82E16827106289

$19.99

AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Item #:N82E16819103871
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

-$10.00 Instant
$115.99
$105.99

WINTEC AMPX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Item #:N82E16820161279
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy

-$7.00 Instant
$75.99
$68.99

Xigmatek ASGARD II B/B CPC-T45UC-U01 Black / Black Computer Case
Item #:N82E16811815004

-$10.00 Instant
$39.99
$29.99

Foxconn A74ML-K 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813186201

$46.99
Grand Total:$545.67
MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MeierTheRed

Never heard of the motherboard brand before, but i guess you researched it beforehand. I also build a PC recently, and when i saw your list here i just noticed that i actually left out the DVD drive. 

But i haven't had any use for one and my PC is 3-4 months old now. 

I know that stuff won't take much power, but i think i would bump up the Wattage on that PSU.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Geno
@sorawesome: Not bad for a first try. Just a couple suggestions:

- 4850 is a last gen card. Technically speaking, it's a last-last-gen card. Modern cards will perform better, expend less heat and use less energy. For that reason, I suggest the GTX 460 768MB for your budget, which is only $150 after rebate. For 50% more, you are getting over 50% more performance, much better cooling and much better power efficiency. It will actually save you money in the long run. This fits with your 50 dollar leeway that you provided in your OP. 

- Pay the extra $7 for quality memory. You can get pretty much the best DDR3 dual channel RAM that money can buy for $75 here. Bad RAM will bring a whole system down, so it's important that they have proper cooling and are from a reputable company. The one I linked to will give you that, for just $7 more.  

Those two points aside, I think that's about the optimal build for your budget. If you are so inclined, you can also spend an extra $20-$30 on your case and mobo for what I would consider to be significantly better products, but it's up to you if you wish to increase your budget further. Your PSU could also use a small boost; 430W is approaching the bare minimum for a gaming PC. 
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Um, plz don't use that gpu. I mean at least get a gtx 450 at the very least. It's $130 and if you aren't aiming for the stars, it's sufficient. Psu, 550 watts or higher, more the better I suppose. Just make sure it's reputable, some shitty psu's usually fries. It can happen.

sorawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sorawesome
@Geno:  I'm fairly new to building and I want to make sure every part is compatible. I know for a fact these parts are, and according to research this brand of RAM I selected is reliable, yes, G.Skill is a good brand but I'm already stretching my budget as it is and 7$ for the 0.3% increase in performance isn't worth it imo. I am interested in the graphics card you posted though, however like I mentioned, I'm unsure of the compatibility. 
 I can't afford the bells and whistles as it's put regarding the case.
Thanks for your help.
@RiotBananas: you don't think a 430w supply is enough? I read somewhere you take what your system requires and add 100 watts and if you're not over you're in the clear.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47

If it has a pci express slot it's all compatible. It's just you  have to have enough watts for the psu because there is a power requirement. You know, it's not only the videocard that requires power you know, things like fans, cpu, mobo, hardrives still requires power.

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Jrad

@HitmanAgent47:   Different motherboards have different socket types and necessitate different sorts of RAM, I think is what he meant.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@Jrad: I just got home, forgive me for selectively reading. Looks like his mobo can only support 8 gigs of ram and it's dual channel. Also it's an am3 cpu socket, which he chose the right cpu for the price. 

I still don't like the gpu he's using, I still think it's a totally wrong decision. It's making my brain itch. Also it's not good to cut it so close for the power requirements, that is a mistake.
timay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By timay
slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By slax

5770's are beasts...

sorawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sorawesome
@timay:  Nice affordable PSU you posted, I'll get that instead, Nice combo Graphics card with quad core CPU that I wanted. Rebuttal anyone?
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@sorawesome: I had experience with a cooler master psu before. The fan stopped spinning, well it's my fault for trying to take it apart because it kept hitting the fan cage. However it still works regardless, I have no objections to that price. They work just fine, however the more expensive cooler masters are usually better, however i'm sure you won't have the same problems I have. It's probally good enough, it's still a reputable brand at least. 

re-edited
The hd 5770 is decent, it should get you by for pc gaming. Wait i'm looking at benchmarks again. I don't research these types of cards that are lowered in power. Some benchmarks shows the gts 450 (sorry typo or lack of care) is strong and other places is shows it's weaker than the hd 5770. Okay most sites says the hd 5770 is a bit stronger, forget about the gts 450. Even though it's cheap it's not worth it. Look if you want to spend more, you'll get a better gpu of course, however if you want to spend less, then the hd 5770 is the card for you.
PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PillClinton

just get a 5970.  that's a budget card 

sorawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sorawesome
@100_Hertz: troll? 
 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102887&Tpk=5970
sorawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sorawesome
@timay: the shappire graphics card with cpu combo isn't available in canada, what do you think of this combo? 
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.553978
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@sorawesome: fuck no. 

Here is a site to look at all canadian stores, just type an item and it will find the cheapest parts from canada. http://www.pricebat.ca/    
timay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By timay

I live in the US so not sure what is available in Canada or not. I also dont know very much about Nvidia gpus i kinda soured on them when vista came out.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By ch13696
@HitmanAgent47: Dude, at first I thought I missed something when you mentioned he should get a GTX 450. So I looked all over Newegg for that and I couldn't find it. Basically because I bought a GTS 450 and if I could have got a GTX for the same price ($130). Anyways, you probably meant for him to get a GTS 450. Which is still a damn good video card from what games I've tried so far.  

Well, other than all of that, I'm with HitmanAgent47. You need to get at least a 600 watt PSU. I used to have a 450 watt and when I started upgrading all my equipment, that's when the computer kept going off. If your PSU doesn't have enough watts to dish out then different parts will be cut off. Also, if you're going to get a case like that, then I would suggest investing in some fans as well. The vents are fine on the side, but you need to have one on the front for the HDD's and one on the back for everything else. I would probably suggest a casing like this:  http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156244. Or you can just do what I did and go for a casing like this:  http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144240. The best thing about it is the fan control. Sorry if that seems like a lot, but I'm the type of person that makes sure that my PC doesn't mess up.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@ch13696: yeah sorry for the error, it's not a card I will buy in a trillion years. I agree with his post, if you don't have enough power, the pc is going to actually physically shut down. That's not good when you playing a game because it can't get enough power. By getting a better psu now, talking to the op, you might upgrade the gpu to something more power hungry later on, take care of it now.
gavingt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By gavingt

Don't skimp on the case. In fact, it might be advisable to go with a case/psu combo, as you'll end up with a better case and a comparable power supply for about the same amount.

sorawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sorawesome

I love you guys so helpful :P
gotta go to work now but good stuff good stuff. Seems like everything is trying to stretch the budget lol. My girlfriend wont be happy about this not one bit lol.

Kontrapunkt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By Kontrapunkt

Looks good for sure with everyone's suggestions but I have to say RAM is key

sorawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sorawesome
@HitmanAgent47: I'm replying to you so I hope you read it :P you seem very knowledgeable about this. I'm going with the 5770 here gpu: 
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102858
Still looking for a affordable 600W power supply that isn't going to break.
keeping my mobo: 
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186201

I'm so scared something wont work or will break, or fry. I'm not sure if I should buy this computer anymore.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@sorawesome: I haven't bought a psu shopping in a while so I don't know if my advice is accurate. My experience mostly is using a cooler master psu and also a cosair 750tx which seems to be practically indestructable no matter what I throw at it all these years powering my many pc's for so many years. But what I do know, conducting a consensus about power watt supplies on this site was if the brand was decent, unlike those cheap store bought 350 watt pc's, it's most likely going to last. For the polls, I didn't find alot of 600 watts and above psu breaking down. While I haven't been searching psu, I have found that you should look at psu's by brand. I noticed a few modular cosair psu breaking down, however not the most expensive stuff. Well let's say you get a good enough brand, the odds are in your favor that your psu won't fry, if it has enough watts and stuff. I found from the polls conducted that alot of ppl never had their psu fry on them before. You should still get the computer anyways, don't worry so much about it unless you are running a shitty psu with it.

If you were looking for brand, I would say get something that's cosair, antec, seasonic as i've been told also makes oem psu's for other companies like cosair, that's what they say anyways, possibly ocz, don't have any experience of that psu myself, computer stores tells me silver stone is also good, maybe thermatake, not so sure of thermaltake or cooler master, i'm not keeping them on this list then.

stay away from shit like sparkle, or stuff you never heard of. Like sparkle or cougar.

There are other stuff like how efficient it is on a 12v rail and all that technical stuff, you probally don't need to worry about. Find something that's with one of these brands I listed and it should probally not fry on you. The odds are good, 600 watts is enough to power your system no problem. That's a start at least, if you want specific psu's I have to spend some time going over the reviews and stuff. At least it gives you some sort of direction and maybe ease your mind about the psu failing. It doesn't happen that often with 600 watts and above with a good brand. I'm sure other ppl can give you specific psu's from newegg too, or that narrows down your own research. 

but if you say, well I don't care, just throw something out there and you'll consider it. Maybe seem a bit more pricey than what your going for, however it's not something you should skimp on. I mean it's powering all your components, so it should have some sort of quality and sometimes that comes at a price.  

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015     

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096     

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022     
if I had to recommend a cooler master psu 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171036    
Vao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Vao

Ok, i played around with spec (i find it kinda fun lol)   This is alittle more then your other build but it includes the 550 coolmaster PSU, a different bundle kid that includes the processor, mobo, and ram, for a basic reference for pricing I've also included a EVGA 450GTS card. This mainly lets you see a different point of view if you went with a different combo setup. price is alittle higher then what you listed but thats the result of the higher power supply and the video card selection.  Something to think about down the road would be to include a aftermarket Processor fan or another case fan or two, that case only has one 120 on the back with the slots for two on the side.  

LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM 20.99  
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive 43.99  
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM 99.00   
Xigmatek ASGARD II B/B CPC-T45UC-U01 Black / Black 0.8 mm SECC / Aluminum and Aluminum Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer ... 30.00   
EVGA 01G-P3-1450-TR GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card 131.49  
COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RS550-PCARE3-US 550W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply 60.00  
+++Combo++++ 
  AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX 
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBNT     
GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2 AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard  
+++Combo 218.5+++   

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MikkaQ

I'd argue switching to intel, but that's just me.