My Early WaW Map Pack Impressions (Blog)

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

I fell off the World at War bandwagon about a month ago, at around level 52. I remember being addicted to the multiplayer for a while, especially the cooperative Nazi Zombies mode, before I stopped playing. Despite being knee deep in Killzone 2 and Resident Evil 5, I saw the announcement of WaW's first map pack as a chance to get back into the game that I enjoyed so much just a month prior. While I'll probably unlock that flamethrower eventually, I don't think I'll come back for Prestige mode anytime soon; in my opinion, I have moved on to bigger and better games. But for those who still frequent the online portion of WaW, there's a hell of a lot to love in these new maps.

The first map I played on is called Station. It seems to be based on the campaign level in which Russian forces invade the subway tunnels around Stalingrad and Berlin. A crashed train running vertically through the middle of the level acts as a barrier between the left and right side, although it is possible to step through certain cars of the train to reach the other side. Snipers can perch atop the crashed train or on balconies near the two main spawn points, but I preferred running and gunning on this map. Numerous corridors on either side of the level give this map a very "corridor-shooter" feel and add suspense, as it is difficult to tell when an enemy will round the corner. Overall, this level is my favorite of the three competitive maps so far.

The second map I played on is called Nightfire. This map is the counterpoint to Station, as there are plentiful sniper perches located on the second and third stories of the burning buildings that act as a backdrop. Playing run and gun on this map, I quickly became frustrated. It's just too hard to see the snipers from any position on the ground. Pick up a rifle and this level will become a bit more entertaining.

The final map in my rotation is Knee Deep. Located in Japan, this level seems to be sort of a middle ground between the first two. While I only got to play two short games on this map due to issues with finding a host (yes, the old WaW troubles still persist,) it sort of seems like Treyarch just dropped a bunch of objects onto a map and let it go at that. Starting out, I was never really sure where I was going. This map is definitely annoying to get into, but at the same time I can see myself having some great firefights here once I memorize the layout. Visually, this is probably the most appealing map of the three. I love the lush vegetation and dark blue swamps presented here.

While the competitive maps are all good enough, the real reason I bought this map pack was the new Zombies level. This level turned out to be both awesome and a disappointment. You see, I tend to play small, intimate games of Nazi Zombies. When I play, it's often in splitscreen with just one friend. It seems more exciting to me if it's just two people facing incredible odds. This newer map is larger than the old one, and it starts players on two different sides of the level. As more points are earned, more blockades can be removed and the players can work their way higher into the level. The goal is to eventually unite at the top of the building and activate an electrical barrier that will slow the zombies down. This map doesn't have that intimate feel that the first does, but at the same time it plays a lot better. The electrical barriers are a great addition, as are the Perk-a-Colas, which, when purchased, allow players to use perks in Nazi Zombies mode. The overall feel of this level is bigger and better than the original, and with a full party of cooperative teammates it's a riot.

Overall, whether or not this map pack is worth the ten dollar asking price is up to whether or not you still play WaW. If you, like me, have sort of drifted away from the game in favor of newer ones, perhaps you should decline the purchase or wait until the price drops. But if you still log long hours into WaW each week, this map pack will only increase your fun. The levels are fairly well designed, although maybe not up to the high standards of some of the default maps, and none of them feature tanks, which in my opinion keeps the experience pure. The bottom line is that this is still the same game as it was before; it's stupid fun, but a little rough around the edges.
Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Pie

I too am enjoying the new map pack but the only thing i find a little strange is having an underground level (station) that makes artillery pretty useless.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

Pie said:
"I too am enjoying the new map pack but the only thing i find a little strange is having an underground level (station) that makes artillery pretty useless."
i know, i found that really strange as well