My "Endurance" Run: A bit of help?

Fayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Fayt

So I thought in between writing papers and going insane from grad school, I would give myself some breaks and maybe do my own little "endurance" run with A Link to the Past. Thought it might be a nice way to break up the monotony of endless pages of crap with 30 minute or so sessions. The only thing is, I'm not too sure on what a good setup here would be software wise, so I look to the GB community for some help :)

I'm basically hoping this can just be done off of my macbook pro. I have a rom, the emulator (yeah yeah, I own the original and all... in fact I think I own 2 of them...) and thought at first I would just use Quicktime's screen recording, but... it doesn't take in the audio from the game and allow me to talk through the mic. Seems like the best it can do is take in both my voice and the games audio from the speakers into the mic, which ends up being a crappy experience.

So basically, do you guys know of any software that would allow me to record part of my screen while also recording the computers audio, while at the same time allowing me to record audio through my mic?

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#2  Edited By Little_Socrates

Generally, you'd want another piece of software to record you or another device.

Also, I dunno if you plan to do much audio editing, but it's usually important, so know it'll take more out of your day than just recording it. XP

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Use Fraps (paid) and Audacity (free) try to record to a hard drive you’re not accessing the game from and if you can you another for Audacity.

Fayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fayt

Great, thanks for the advice guys! Yeah I was thinking about editing the audio, which I'll have to do regardless if I use Audacity like justkamtoo suggests. Since I don't really have the money for a separate device (although will in the future, so any suggestion on that socrates?), I think I'll go with Fraps and Audacity and then just edit and bring them together with an editor.

Is there any reason you suggest pushing the recording and video to separate drives? After christmas I'll have enough for an external drive, but for now I have a 128 ssd. I figured I'd just delete them off my computer each time and have them uploaded to youtube.

Thanks again for the help :)

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Winternet

Oh. Yeah, I find Audacity pretty easy to work with. Have you tried VideoPad?

Fayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fayt

@Winternet said:

Oh. Yeah, I find Audacity pretty easy to work with. Have you tried VideoPad?

Cool, I've used audacity in the past so it should be pretty easy hopefully. And nope, I think that's only for Windows. I was actually just going to join them in iMovie, but maybe I should think about using something else?

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By zitosilva

@JustKamToo:

Are you sure Fraps would work for this? I tried recording some Binding of Isaac gameplay using it, but was unable to because the program did not recognize it as a game (at least that's the reason I was told, I think this happened because Isaac runs on flash). Wouldn't the same problem occur on an emulator?

And, just to be clear, I'm not doubting the recommendation. I just thought I would check so there'd be no chance of Fayt wasting his money.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Commisar123

I might suggest that you bring someone else in. It will make it easier for you to talk and it will just be more fun for you and viewer. Anyway, good luck

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

Get Hypercam 2. I know, but the watermark isn't there anymore (unless you're using Hypercam 3 (if you do see somebody using it, tell them to piss off)), making it the best screen capture software out there. It's incredibly easy to set up and use, and you can record long videos without eating up too much space on your hard drive. (And you should probably choose a better game. I'm not saying that LTTP is bad, but as I said before the latest ER, this is a very well known game, meaning that it's gonna be hard to find something new to say. This is even more of a problem when we don't know that you can deliver awesome commentary, like Ryan and Patrick for the ER.)

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah fraps can sometimes be a dick about that.....try the demo first?

Fayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Fayt

@Video_Game_King said:

Get Hypercam 2. I know, but the watermark isn't there anymore (unless you're using Hypercam 3 (if you do see somebody using it, tell them to piss off)), making it the best screen capture software out there. It's incredibly easy to set up and use, and you can record long videos without eating up too much space on your hard drive. (And you should probably choose a better game. I'm not saying that LTTP is bad, but as I said before the latest ER, this is a very well known game, meaning that it's gonna be hard to find something new to say. This is even more of a problem when we don't know that you can deliver awesome commentary, like Ryan and Patrick for the ER.)

Thanks for the recommendation. I was going to use Hypercam originally but they don't support mac. If it's that good though, I could always just install Windows through bootcamp. Also, great advice about LTTP; I hadn't really thought about that, but you're right, it's something most gamers are familiar with.

And Fraps also looks like it's just for Windows as well. Looks more and more likely that I'll just be running bootcamp here.