My gaming time is decreasing because of the required aggression

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By JouselDelka

Hey guys, 'tis my first blog, this has been on my mind and I thought I'd write it down.

TL;DR - If Bethesda games are a great girlfriend to travel with and have fun (and they sure are great), FNV is the girlfriend you've been waiting for who can actually talk to you, interest you, intrigue and satisfy you.

I haven't sat down and properly played a game in two months. I have Fallout NV installed, as well as Hotline Miami, XCOM Enemy Unknown, The Walking Dead and Mirror's Edge (latter = 3rd playthrough). I've been climbing walls in ME and going with the story in TWD, but otherwise, I haven't been playing anything. (My only platform is PC).

I feel that games require a lot of aggression and survival efforts, and I just don't have that in me to offer anymore. Now that I go to school and have a job, I don't get the "meditation time" I need (staying indoors, eating chips, not talking to anyone) to be prepared to jump into a game and keep KILLING enemies and saving my ass every five minutes.

I have been craving some extended quality game time, been thinking of continuing my 30 minutes into NV, but I just know I'll have to fight off all kinds of creatures and motherfuckers far too often, and I just don't feel like spending time saving my own life.

Problem is that all the 'deep' and immersive games that scratch my itch such as RPGs are full of constant dangers and violence. Lighter games tend to be too simple to keep my interested.

Anyone else get tired of the constant aggression, all the medpack hunting, cover-taking, face blasting and checkpoint reloading?

Edit: And can you recommend some alternatives to these games that are equally polished, complex and engaging? Indie platformers and Telltale games don't cut it for me, sadly.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

This is something I've been noticing in games, too. May I then recommend Terranigma as a game that at least tries to reasonably justify the violence within?

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By CoinMatze

Have you tried playing a comedic adventure or a non-violent sim or strategy game in between all that aggression?

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I see this sometimes as well. I liked Bioshock Infinite, but the constant killing was cumbersome and didn't jive with a lot of the atmosphere, which was so well done. I find myself playing more games that are non-violent such as building games, simulations, strategies, and racing. A lot of indie games aren't as violent as well. It seems that the games you listed are pretty violent, maybe try picking some different games?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By falserelic

For me not at all, but then again I play alot of Survival-Horror games. Depending on the game it can require patience, smart uses of resources, and when its best to avoid or engage in combat. Trying to survive against the odds has always been thrilling to me.

Maybe you should try out other genres of games that's not so violent, just to give yourself a break.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't feel at all aggressive even when doing the most brutal things in games. I dunno what you mean by required aggression to be honest, do you mean the game requires you to do aggressive things, or you feel you must become aggressive in order to do the things the game requires of you?

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you don't like violent and brutal games why are you buying them? Theres tons of alternatives.

I mean ifs Fallout New Vegas. Of course you're going to be fighting crazy mutant monsters and stuff. Its your own fault really, since you're buying nothing but violent games.

Its the steam summer sale, go buy some light hearted adventure games. Theres bound to be some for sale.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JouselDelka
@cale said:

I don't feel at all aggressive even when doing the most brutal things in games. I dunno what you mean by required aggression to be honest, do you mean the game requires you to do aggressive things, or you feel you must become aggressive in order to do the things the game requires of you?

What I mean is that the ideal gaming session for me is sitting at my PC after a long day, firing up an immersive and "serious" game and losing myself in it for a few hours. And the problem is that most games require that I stay really alert, keep watching my health, run into bandits and animals and fight for my life all the time, constantly.

I'm not criticizing games or asking for innovation, I'm just sharing my thoughts, I get emotionally and spiritually exhausted from the constant fighting and health bar-checking.

Like, if I fire up NV right now, I'm gonna spend my time shooting bandits and running away from mutant monsters, it's a chore.

Edit: And I don't believe there are good enough and engaging enough alternatives to these intense games. I can't think of anything immersive and massive that doesn't include constant intensity.

Maybe I can get some recommendations?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Maybe try some strategy games like Xcom Enemy Unknown and Civilization 5.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By CaLe

@themanwithnoplan said:

Maybe try some strategy games like Xcom Enemy Unknown and Civilization 5.

I was thinking these as well, and maybe Minecraft. They are engaging/immersive in a different way. FTL or Gunpoint might be worth checking out as well.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By Dagbiker

Hey guys, 'tis my first blog, this has been on my mind and I thought I'd write it down.

I haven't sat down and properly played a game in two months. I have Fallout NV installed, as well as Hotline Miami, XCOM Enemy Unknown, The Walking Dead and Mirror's Edge (latter = 3rd playthrough). I've been climbing walls in ME and going with the story in TWD, but otherwise, I haven't been playing anything. (My only platform is PC).

I feel that games require a lot of aggression and survival efforts, and I just don't have that in me to offer anymore. Now that I go to school and have a job, I don't get the "meditation time" I need (staying indoors, eating chips, not talking to anyone) to be prepared to jump into a game and keep KILLING enemies and saving my ass every five minutes.

I have been craving some extended quality game time, been thinking of continuing my 30 minutes into NV, but I just know I'll have to fight off all kinds of creatures and motherfuckers far too often, and I just don't feel like spending time saving my own life.

Problem is that all the 'deep' and immersive games that scratch my itch such as RPGs are full of constant dangers and violence. Lighter games tend to be too simple to keep my interested.

Anyone else get tired of the constant aggression, all the medpack hunting, cover-taking, face blasting and checkpoint reloading?

Edit: And can you recommend some alternatives to these games that are equally polished, complex and engaging? Indie platformers and Telltale games don't cut it for me, sadly.

This has been what I have been niticing too, I dont know if it is because games have changed, or I have, getting a job, and growing up. But when I come home from work, I dont feel like playing games. and so I just watch Quicklooks, or program.

I usualy only play games on weekends. and right before I go to bed I will play one of my handhelds.

I did find that Terarria, and Mine Craft where pretty good games to play on work days. Also Scribblenaughts, anything where I cant really fuck up, or where I can think about other things, and listen to other things.

But Honestly I would recommend a 3DS, or a DS, there are a ton of RPGs for that, and all you have to do to pause a 3DS game is flip it closed, and, assuming it is fully charged, you will be good for another 5-6 hours.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Tennmuerti

Turn based strategy as has been suggested.

They are both deep and allow you to completely chill and take everything at your own pace, no aggression required, no constantly being tense.

There are tons out there it just depends on what will strikes your fancy. Xcom, Civ, HoMM, Kings Bounty, Erador, Warlock:MoA, Total war, any of the 4x space strategies, Fallout Tactics

And hey while we are at it, older turn based RPGs can fit into that category too.

darkstorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is actually a very observant point, OP. I too get put off by the constant intensity required in most AAA games when I'm just trying to relax after a long day. I end up usually watching a movie or some Giantbomb content when I'm just not up for visceral shooting or danger.

My best suggestion would be to go for some strategy games, like Civ 4 or something. Maybe an old-school RPG would be up your alley. This 'easygoing-ness' is one of the things I like about Nintendo, but neither you nor I have a Nintendo system so that's a no-go haha...

enai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Another vote here for Civ, it's turn based and allows you to go at your own pace. Also try Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 from Gog.com. It includes the expansions and it's only $3.49. I absolutely love that game so you should try it :P

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By Seppli

I know it sounds immediately counter to your problem, but why not embrace the aggression? Like playing a competitive online game. Competition against real players has ways of drawing you in, that singleplayer games very rarely possess.

DOTA 2 just came out. It's rather laid back as far online multiplayer games go. Kill some creeps. Stay out of trouble. Buy some stuff. Think of how to get better at what your doing right then and there. Matches are 40 minutes, and the most basic learning curve for each character is way less than that. It's all good fun. Just play a game of 40 minutes, learn a new character, get a tiny bit better at playing MOBA-style games overall - have a good immersive time.

There's a reason why MOBA is such a emergent genre. It's not twitch based. Everybody can learn it. It kinda combines the best of singleplayer (destined to beat AI) and multiplayer (human opponent poses a proper challenge) into an amalgamation of addicitve (in-round leveling & itemization) fun (being immersed in playing a game for the win).

Other than that, ever tried a Criterion racing game? For me, it's the most pure joy gaming can be. 2010's Hot Pursuit probably goes for under 10 bucks these days. Prepare to be overjoyed.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Ramone

Play Journey or Fez or something. There are plenty of games out there that don't require you to kill dudes.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@jouseldelka: Have you played Minecraft?

Also FTL, X-Com Enemy Unknown, Fire Emblem Awakening, and (if you really want to go off the deep end) Civilzation 5 and Crusader Kings 2.

newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By newhaap

I tend to find real time city building games like the Anno series / Dawn of Discovery pretty good for winding down, they're usually complex enough to be challenging but slow paced enough that you can just enjoy the scenery whenever you want to. I would suggest SimCity also, but I've only played like a few hours of it at launch and haven't felt like going back to it, so I can't sincerely recommend it.

Chuncho_Munos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been looking for a solution to this and just end up watching films. I'm hoping the next gen will eventually bring some more interesting games.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Why don't you try point and click adventure games? Old school ones, like Full Throttle, Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle or Grim Fandango? Or modern ones, like the Runaway series, Deponia, Night of the Rabbit and so on?