#1 Edited by GalacticGravy (526 posts) -

*Final Edit*

Thanks for the support, everyone. The article can be found here:

http://vgcovercritique.com/hc-svnt-dracones-dragons-in-history-and-then-a-short-study-of-dragons-in-video-game-cover-art/

I changed the scope of it a bit while I was writing. There were too many dragons to talk about and it was getting crazy. I hope you guys like it.

------

I am writing a piece this week for my site (vgcovercritique.com) on the topic of dragons in video game cover art. I need to find as many examples as I can. Extra points if you find some Asian dragons!

I am looking through the Dragons concept section of giant bomb and trying to pick them out right now. If you guys know any off the top of your head it would be appreciated.

So far I have:

Dragon Age: Origins

Dragon Age 2

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Dragon Warrior

Dragon Warrior II

Dragon Warrior III

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Ultima Online

Drakengard

Drakan: The Ancients' Gates

Reign of Fire

Guild Wars 2

Dragon Riders

Dragon's Lair

Lair

How to Train Your Dragon

Spyro the Dragon

Dragon Seeds

Dragon's Dogma

Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi

Jade Empire

Mortal Kombat (all of them, really)

Gothic II

Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

#2 Posted by Mitch0712 (434 posts) -

Your site is very cool. Nice job

#4 Posted by GalacticGravy (526 posts) -

@Mitch0712: Thanks, dude!

Also, I'll be updating the main post as people (hopefully) chime in with some suggestions, and as I find my own. If I get 15-20 total, I think they would be a good pool to work from.

#5 Posted by Mister_V (967 posts) -

http://www.giantbomb.com/guild-wars-2/61-21223/

#7 Edited by SethPhotopoulos (4863 posts) -

Dragon's Dogma. Skyrim has a dragon emblem if that counts.

360 box art (cropped)
#8 Edited by GalacticGravy (526 posts) -

@Deathawk: Ahh! I feel so stupid for forgetting Dragon's Lair! Thanks!

It's interesting, analyzing the different depictions of dragons. From cartoonish dragons to more serious renders it's all great.

Also, holy shit Dragon Seeds looks like a kick-ass game. it was probably awful, but I love games where you can make your own fighter. Was always a huge Robo Pit fan.

#9 Posted by Shirogane (3561 posts) -

Quite a few of the Dragonball Z games have the dragon on them, not as many as you'd think though.

#10 Edited by moffattron9000 (349 posts) -

Double Dragon is an entire franchise with dragons on the cover, and you can potentially consider them Asian.

Also the logo for Mortal Kombat is a dragon so there's that.

#11 Posted by GalacticGravy (526 posts) -

@moffattron9000: Holy shit! You're right. God damn. The implications of a dragon being the symbol for a multi-dimensional to-the-death fighting tournament are huge! Thanks, man. Didn't even think of that one.

#12 Edited by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -
#13 Posted by IzzyGraze (838 posts) -
#14 Posted by evanbower (1207 posts) -

@GalacticGravy: I don't have any dragon cover suggestions. Just wanted to say I hopped on over to your site and it is awesome. Really interesting stuff.

#15 Posted by AmatureIdiot (988 posts) -

Pretty much every Panzer Dragoon game has a dragon on the cover.

#16 Posted by The_Ruiner (930 posts) -

Pokemon Fire Red

Bahamut Lagoon

Double Dragon 3

#17 Posted by MB (11330 posts) -

I'm surprised no one mentioned Adventure. Especially since the box art was such a realistic interpretation of the actual game.

High Res NTSC 2600 Cover
#18 Posted by shadowwolf9 (158 posts) -

Cobra Triangle for the NES is more of a sea serpent, but that might count.

#19 Posted by Sinusoidal (1162 posts) -

I, being the huge old-Phantasy Star nerd that I am, would like to point out that Myau features on the cover of Phantasy Star 1 for the master system.

Myau turns into a dragon when you feed him the Larma Nuts so you can fly up to Lassic's castle in the sky.

#20 Posted by EVO (3785 posts) -
#21 Posted by Tennmuerti (7726 posts) -
#22 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -
#23 Posted by TobbRobb (4419 posts) -

I'm too late to add any new covers. But damn man. You have a cool site! Boxart has always been important to me, and having someone put the feelings they bring into words is just amazing. Good wrtiting, good thinking, fun reads.

#24 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (661 posts) -
#25 Posted by D_W (1079 posts) -
#26 Edited by Kerned (1168 posts) -
#27 Edited by GalacticGravy (526 posts) -

Thanks so much to everyone for your suggestions. I have some really awesome stuff here, too. I think this should do it.

Also, thanks a lot to everyone who said my site was cool. It's encouraging to hear that people actually care about what I write!

Edit: It's also worth noting that after staring at dragons for a while, I'm in a fantasy-ass mood. I think I'm going to go play Icewind Dale or something.

#28 Posted by probablytuna (3446 posts) -
#29 Posted by Zippedbinders (980 posts) -

Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People (Trogdor), and Super Dragonball Z for the PS2 has the dragon in the logo, MK style.

#30 Posted by Flacracker (1396 posts) -

Drakensang

#31 Posted by GalacticGravy (526 posts) -

Thanks for the support, everyone. The article can be found here:

http://vgcovercritique.com/hc-svnt-dracones-dragons-in-history-and-then-a-short-study-of-dragons-in-video-game-cover-art/

I changed the scope of it a bit while I was writing. There were too many dragons to talk about and it was getting crazy. I hope you guys like it.

#32 Posted by moffattron9000 (349 posts) -

@GalacticGravy: Great to hear that I can help. If it's not too much to ask though would it be possible for you to PM me when the article is done because I would really like to read it.

#33 Posted by Athadam (641 posts) -

Checked out your website, I especially liked the Halo cover art analysis. Great work!