Neogaf bans discussion of Hatred.

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

If I had a popular website, I would ban talk of random games like "I am bread" just to watch people go nuts.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flameboy84: The 'proof' of the developers being in lieu with neonazi ideologies was that the lead designer liked a facebook post of a neonazi-run website. He henceforth apologized and said he did not know the news outlet he liked was run by neonazis and retracted his like. He explained in detail that he hates neonazis because the gestapo had killed his grandfather. He's furious that news websites ran a story about them being nazis. More circumstantial 'proof' is one of the designers having a swastika tattoo and another designer being sighted at a nationalist (not neonazi) rally.

This is really not any different than the harrasment campaigns we've seen in the last month. It's just as easy to call someone a neonazi as it is to call journalism corrupt, both of them inciting venom and rage. NeoGAF is only adding to that fire.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who thinks that Hatred looks putrid, I think this is kinda messed up. There's a lot of games with morally objectionable content, so to randomly draw the line here when it comes to discussion feels more like they are trying to tap into a zeitgeist.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@trafalgarlaw: I'm sure you've been visiting GAF a lot to prove your theory about the site?

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@trafalgarlaw said:

More circumstantial 'proof' is one of the designers having a swastika tattoo

Y'know, I think having a swastika tattoo is maybe a pretty good indication that someone is a neo-nazi.

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@conmulligan: I was going to say. I don't think that's really "circumstantial" evidence.

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By mortal_sb
@sor_eddie said:

@mortal_sb: Except Steam actually is selling it, or will soon, since Gabe personally emailed the Greenlight team and the devs to put it back up after it was taken down for literally no reason despite being a very popular Greenlight. In addition, discussion is not endorsing. Do you get angry at American History X because it "gives a stage" to hate speech or something?

again, different story. american history X is a well constructed (fictional) document about a neo nazi movement, the people and their actions. it doesn't _promote_ their values and ideas. you should've said "jud süß" or movies from leni riefenstahl if you wanted to make your point, because they are, at least here in germany, forbidden to show or sell to the public (without a legal permission anyway).

i also don't want online meeting places for nazis, antisemits, terrorists or you name it. you can have places for discussion about them, but not for them. as someone said earlier: the discussion and the moderation work would be a nightmare. and because we still have huge problems regarding video games, it's better to dismiss the "discussion", because it would only end in promoting the game and gamer circle-jerking.

(also: i'd love to see a poll where gamergate supporters are being asked if they would like to play hatred. just out of curiosity.)

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conmulligan: I haven't seen the actual proof for that claim. Let's humor that one of the devs have one. Would a single neonazi (out of group of a dozen iirc.) working on a game make the game itself bad or toxic?

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sor_eddie: Because it's a private forum where the owner and mods have decided that moderating the shit shows those kind of topics turn into isn't worth the effort. So I have absolutely no problem with it. I wonder if the people complaining about this here are members of GAF, if not, why care about it? I'm also not a fan of threads whining about another forum.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By stryker1121

@oldirtybearon said:

@erickmartins said:

So let's try to establish some things here. We can all agree that between GTA and, say, Rapelay there's a line somewhere, right? Then, there are a couple of points to be considered:

1) Do you agree with banning discussion of games on the Rapelay-side of the line? (I do, and I think most people would)

2) Do you place Hatred on the Rapelay-side of the line? Here it comes down to personal opinion, I guess. I would, but I see that some people wouldn't. In any case, NEOGAF seems to be thinking this way, so maybe any claims of OMG CENSORSHIP!!! should take that into account. It is a position that makes sense, given a certain opinion.

I don't think Hatred belongs on that side of the line (I'd argue about the line itself, but I don't have all day) at all. I think Hatred, unlike RapeLay, asks a very fundamental thing of players that's intrinsic to the video game medium. It's stripping away the shoe polish and spit shine associated with war games like Battlefield and fantasy shooters like Destiny. It's leaving players with the grim reality of what murdering a whole bunch of people actually is, and it's asking if you, as a player, are okay with that. It's asking the player if, when all the hooplah, pomp, and circumstance is stripped away from a violent video game, if you are still okay with the key mechanic in that game being murder.

I think that's actually a fucking fascinating angle to tackle. I think it's something that gamers don't really ask themselves. I think everyone on some level enjoys fantasy violence, otherwise they wouldn't play shooters or fighting games. I think another fundamental question that Hatred--as art--is asking is this; is it okay to like violence because it's violence? Does there need to be a reason for it, or can we enjoy it because of what it is?

Whether or not the game is any good, or any fun, there's a lot of things to think about when confronted with a piece like this. I personally think censoring discussion on it does everyone a disservice and discourages introspective thinking about violence in entertainment and exactly what that means for us not only individually, but culturally as well.

You're giving the devs too much credit. They came out themselves and said Hatred is about 'pure gaming pleasure,' not tackling hypocrisy of games like Uncharted that coat mass murder in a veneer of light-hearted fun. Hatred, from what I gather, is a simple thumb in the eye of so called political correctness. There's no statement here other than, 'Go forth and kill."

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muttersometaxicab: I have no theories to prove, just relaying that there is no undeniable proof either way.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

one more reason not to go neogaf.

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@conmulligan: I haven't seen the actual proof for that claim. Let's humor that one of the devs have one. Would a single neonazi (out of group of a dozen iirc.) working on a game make the game itself bad or toxic?

I'd say a single neonazi, coupled with everything they've shown about the game so far makes its toxicity a very real likelihood. But whatever, nobody's saying they can't make the game (some might be saying they probably shouldn't, but that's neither here nor there) - the question is whether Valve opts to sell it, which is ultimately their call to make.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I had a popular website, I would ban talk of random games like "I am bread" just to watch people go nuts.

"Our site creator has celiac disease, so all discussions of "I Am Bread" are forbidden. Any bread or cupcake related discussion will result in an immediate ban without warning on this site.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 thatpinguino  Staff

@karkarov said:

@sor_eddie said:

As someone with no interest in playing Hatred at all, that's some hot garbage. It's incredibly arbitrary to decide which games are allowed to be discussed and which aren't.

As someone who mods other forums I think your opinion is hot garbage. Neogaf is not some free speech first amendment website, it is a forum for talking about video games. If the mods of the forum don't think discussion of a given game belongs and don't want it on their forum they have every right to block discussion of it.

As a mod how much, "not fit for public consumption" commentary would you expect around a game like Hatred? Enough that the run up to its release and shortly thereafter will require constant mod attention?

I'm just asking because I imagine that the oversight a topic like that would require is pretty big for the level of actual quality discussion it would inspire.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@stryker1121 said:

@oldirtybearon said:

@erickmartins said:

So let's try to establish some things here. We can all agree that between GTA and, say, Rapelay there's a line somewhere, right? Then, there are a couple of points to be considered:

1) Do you agree with banning discussion of games on the Rapelay-side of the line? (I do, and I think most people would)

2) Do you place Hatred on the Rapelay-side of the line? Here it comes down to personal opinion, I guess. I would, but I see that some people wouldn't. In any case, NEOGAF seems to be thinking this way, so maybe any claims of OMG CENSORSHIP!!! should take that into account. It is a position that makes sense, given a certain opinion.

I don't think Hatred belongs on that side of the line (I'd argue about the line itself, but I don't have all day) at all. I think Hatred, unlike RapeLay, asks a very fundamental thing of players that's intrinsic to the video game medium. It's stripping away the shoe polish and spit shine associated with war games like Battlefield and fantasy shooters like Destiny. It's leaving players with the grim reality of what murdering a whole bunch of people actually is, and it's asking if you, as a player, are okay with that. It's asking the player if, when all the hooplah, pomp, and circumstance is stripped away from a violent video game, if you are still okay with the key mechanic in that game being murder.

I think that's actually a fucking fascinating angle to tackle. I think it's something that gamers don't really ask themselves. I think everyone on some level enjoys fantasy violence, otherwise they wouldn't play shooters or fighting games. I think another fundamental question that Hatred--as art--is asking is this; is it okay to like violence because it's violence? Does there need to be a reason for it, or can we enjoy it because of what it is?

Whether or not the game is any good, or any fun, there's a lot of things to think about when confronted with a piece like this. I personally think censoring discussion on it does everyone a disservice and discourages introspective thinking about violence in entertainment and exactly what that means for us not only individually, but culturally as well.

You're giving the devs too much credit. They came out themselves and said Hatred is about 'pure gaming pleasure,' not tackling hypocrisy of games like Uncharted that coat mass murder in a veneer of light-hearted fun. Hatred, from what I gather, is what it is. There's no statement here other than, 'Go forth and kill."

So? A creators' intention should have no bearing on the analysis done by other people. That's what the entire "Death of the Author" philosophy is about in literary criticism. Just because you disagree with a creator personally on whatever grounds does not mean the art in question should be dismissed out of hand. Whether intentionally or not, the creators of Hatred have sparked a wide range of debates and a wide range of reactions. This is a game; a tiny, insignificant game with what looks like a budget of fifty dollars and a hand job that has somehow provoked emotional, visceral reactions from most everyone that has come in contact with the idea of it. This is something other artistic mediums salivate at the chance to cover and dissect, and instead the enthusiasts and art appreciators among us would rather sweep it away and pretend the game--and the questions it raises--don't matter.

I'm sorry, but saying "it is what it is" is lazy. This is a piece of art that I think is worth engaging not because it promotes an idea or because it has something to say, but because it expresses what this medium can do better than any other; provoke introspection through the tools and mechanics presented to a player. Hell, even choosing whether or not to play it is saying something about the player. I think if we want games to be art, Hatred and anything like it have to exist, and we as appreciators of art need to engage with it. Running away from the discussion does nothing for anybody.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

@oldirtybearon: Yes this game deserves as much informed analysis and interpretation as anything else. But, if most of the content on a forum is about how the game doesn't deserve to exist or how the people who don't like it are prudish hypocrites, then is the potential of a strong discussion worth the moderation time that the shitty responses necessitate? I would say that one great piece does make it worth it, but the strong introspective takes don't usually arise out of forum chatter. They almost always come from long form blogs, essays, and reviews. So, I think you will still get the critical analysis of Hatred if you remove the forum squabbling. The people who want to do a real academic look at that game will do so without needing a forum thread.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon: FWIW i edited 'it is what it is' to a 'thumb in the eye of so-called political correctness.' Don't mistake me, though. Never did I say Hatred is not worth discussion. I do disagree about an artist's intention having no bearing on the discussion surrounding the art. Once a piece of media's in the wild, it's going to be measured, dissected and weighed by the public at large. Intention is part of that, and Hatred's intention has been clearly stated by the devs. It's foolish to eliminate that piece of it as part of the wider topic, as there are those trying to ascribe some sort of message to a game that for all intents and purposes has none.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

All this controversy surrounding Hatred is exactly what the developers wanted. All this does is generating more and more attention. I had completely forgotten that this game even existed and I'm sure most others did too. Now it's everywhere, the Streisand Effect is in full force right now. Silly people.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

If you want to talk about Neogaf's rules and decisions, you should probably do it over there.