New amazing Metal Gear Scanlon fan art

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Beanz122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saw this on the giantbomb subreddit! Looks amazing!

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

The thread title sounded like clickbait 101. The kind Patrick will be writing in a few months time. Ahem..

Fantastic work on that one. Understated, detailed, among the best things I've seen on the site in quite a while. Well, fucking done.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

The thread title sounded like clickbait 101. Kind of Patrick will be writing in a few months time. Ahem..

3 reasons why metal gear scanlon 3 will be the best yet

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethphotopoulos: The person who made it doesn't use the GB forums, so he said that I could post it (in the GB subreddit). So I don't really have much to say about it.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By mrfluke

@marino here's a possible another addition for the community spotlight.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AMyggen
Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Can't wait to get to this, but first Metal Gear Scanlon 3: Snake Duder!!!

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Steadying

It's a good edit and all, but it's probably worth mentioning that they just added Drew's head to already existing artwork.

No Caption Provided
ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@goat_rat said:

@steadying: Yeah dude, that's kind of the point, and I think most people get that. Is it really worth mentioning? Or do you just like being a debbie downer know-it-all? I never claimed that I created the original image in the first place.

It's quite worth mentioning - at first glance, I couldn't tell how this was different from the actual art. Even then, you barely see Drew's face. It's an incredibly subtle change, one that is hard to appreciate when absolutely everything else is the same.

Also, why did you get all aggro? Chill pills are covered by Obamacare.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@goat_rat said:

@ch3burashka: Like I mentioned, that's the point of this. I never intended to claim that I created the original Snake art. You're taking this way more serious then it should be. When you watch movies with special effects do you point out "THAT'S NOT REAL!"? It's just a photoshop, dude. Not claiming to be anything more.

You have three posts, two of them being hella aggro. All I and the other guy pointed out is that the change is really subtle. Maybe reevaluate how you approach criticism.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

@goat_rat said:

@ch3burashka: Like I mentioned, that's the point of this. I never intended to claim that I created the original Snake art. You're taking this way more serious then it should be. When you watch movies with special effects do you point out "THAT'S NOT REAL!"? It's just a photoshop, dude. Not claiming to be anything more.

@goat_rat said:

@sethphotopoulos: Hi I made this! I gave AMyggen total permission to post it.

To someone who hasn't seen the original image, it seems pretty likely that assume you created the whole thing. There's definitely craft in the edit but there's a huge difference between adding Drew's head and designing Solid Snake dissolving into weapons and other iconic MGS pieces.

Like @ch3burashka mentioned, you seem to be responding very aggressively to someone simply pointing out what you did and what you didn't do. I checked out your work and it's solid stuff so especially as an artist, you should be more sensitive to giving credit where credit is due and not taking credit for someone else's work.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20  Edited By fobwashed
No Caption Provided

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Baillie

The first thing I thought after seeing it was I bet a lot of people think this was made fully by the artist. @goat_rat's overly aggressive response to this seems to make me think he kind of wanted people to assume that. Oh well, being a dick just makes me not appreciate it as much.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@baillie: As a fellow artist let me chime in and say that the guy posted this on Twitter without framing it as some sort of elaborate ruse to fool anyone, and only after it got reposted here on the forums did this weird investigation team got called into play. As a fan of Metal Gear I've seen that poster a million times and instantly knew he simply photoshopped the head in and changed the title - which I thought was done very well and appreciated the skill it took to blend it in.

While the guys reaction is certainly over the top, I also don't understand why it should matter how the picture came about or why we're even discussing what his "intention" was. His intention was to make cool Metal Gear Scanlon fan art, and he succeeded in doing so. Everything should just relax, move on, and appreciate the art, sheesh.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@humanity: I'm not just a thing! I know what went down, I'm not dense. I'm all for cool art, but his reaction is just crazy and makes confused!

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 FinalDasa  Moderator

I think this thread has had enough now that we're talking about artist integrity rather than the artwork.