#1 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5195 posts) -

Links: here and here.  
It will be based on the 4th edition D&D rules, will have co-op, toolset and its not developed by Bioware.

#2 Posted by SoylentGreen (268 posts) -

Awesome. Played a bunch of the first one, not so much the second.

I really need to get back to that...

#3 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6954 posts) -

Color me cautiously optimistic.  I like the idea of a Neverwinter Nights game being co-op centric, but I'm not sure about his words that it'll be "user friendly."  Sometimes, that's good, but I hope in this case it doesn't mean the game is dumbed down too much.

#4 Posted by Butano (1850 posts) -

I'm down for another Neverwinter game, but.....Cryptic? Does this mean it will be subscription based then? And only 5 classes? At least there will be over 50,000+ customization options I guess :/

#5 Posted by Sadisticham (279 posts) -

The word Cryptic worries me.

#6 Posted by TekZero (2855 posts) -

I just hope that it isn't too "accessible".  But consider me all kinds of excited.  I'm still playing through the last expansion for NWN2 with my four created characters.  That game is RPG heaven. 

#7 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1281 posts) -

Atari owns the D&D rights, so do not expect Bioware to make a game based off of the license any time soon. 

I am excited for this, they are also releasing a table top version., and R.A. Salvatore is penning a trilogy that leads into the events of the game.

#8 Posted by TekZero (2855 posts) -

Wait... 

"Gamers will choose to become one of five classic D&D classes and team up with friends or the AI to form five-person co-op groups.

There's an "extremely user-friendly" content generation system called Forge, too."

I'm not sure I like the sound of this.  It's a D&D game, half of the fun is making your own character.  This sounds like an "action/rpg" 
#9 Posted by Driadon (3081 posts) -

sadface @ 4e 
I know it likely translates easier to the gamespace, but, dammit, I want to make my crafting and climb checks!

#10 Posted by Driadon (3081 posts) -
@DrDarkStryfe: In theory, Atari and EA could partner up if Bioware was after making a new D&D based game. But these days, all their studios are likely hella busy with Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2 and Old Republic.
#11 Posted by Aarduil (47 posts) -
@Driadon:

All BioWare D&D titles featured a vastly trimmed skill selection. Climb is one of the skills that never really showed up, so yeah. Numerous mechanics from D&D don't work well outside tabletop environments, and I'm glad BioWare decided to use their own systems for their newer titles. 

As for this new "Neverwinter" title... Cryptic... co-op... eh....

#12 Posted by Saltank (199 posts) -

Cryptic will ruin it completely.

#13 Posted by ATrevelan (618 posts) -

Um, isn't there already DDO? Turbine has a much better track record than Cryptic, not to mention they've already established a decent sized community for their online game, so Neverwinter seems like it'll be dead on arrival. 

I fully expect this to be cancelled.

#14 Posted by CletusTheFoetus (149 posts) -

Quests were a novelty in CoX and a tedious 1 1/4 impulse in Star Trek Online. I haven't played much Champions online but they follow the tried and tested Cryptic method.  

I thought developers where trying to avoid that kill 10 X or fetch Z type quests. Guess cryptic loves the grind.     

The Character creator will, like all Cryptic games, be the best feature. 

#15 Posted by Doctorchimp (4163 posts) -

So a simpler co-op Neverwinter game from the guys who do MMOs? 

It comes out in 2011 you say?  

Looks like DIablo 3 still has my wallet...and attention.