Nintendo to Target Health Care Industry for Wii U Sales

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Japan's Mainichi Shinbun is reporting that Nintendo plans to target the health care industry for selling the Wii U to compensate for flagging sales on the consumer side. Wii U sales have plummeted since the introduction of the PS 4 and the Xbone, so Nintendo is hoping that promoting it as a health care product will help to offset the lack of interest in the console among gamers.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

but now it will have to compete with Kinect :<

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@egg said:

Not really. The Wii was a pretty popular seller among healthcare services like physical therapy, senior homes and the like. I don't think that Microsoft has ever been able to tap into the market with Kinect to the same degree, if at all.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

@hailinel said:

@egg said:

Not really. The Wii was a pretty popular seller among healthcare services like physical therapy, senior homes and the like. I don't think that Microsoft has ever been able to tap into the market with Kinect to the same degree, if at all.

Actually Microsoft has been planning on selling Kinect devices to hospitals for a while, but it's going to be a different SKU under the "Kinect for Windows," banner. Initial test studies look promising, and there's excitement in the healthcare industry for a final product.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@zombiepie: Ah, I see. It'll be interesting to see how that turns out.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

@zombiepie said:

@hailinel said:

@egg said:

Actually Microsoft has been planning on selling Kinect devices to hospitals for a while, but it's going to be a different SKU under the "Kinect for Windows," banner. Initial test studies look promising, and there's excitement in the healthcare industry for a final product.

"The Kinect allows doctors to control the system without breaking the sterile field via hand gestures and voice commands with a goal of reducing the direct cost of healthcare associated infections to hospitals and patients,"

I can vouch for this, it's such a pain to go sterile-unsterile-sterile-unsterile all the time. Sometimes you have to touch non-sterile medical equipment on the operating table and you'll go unsteril as a result of it.