Nostalgia for Rayman

kahl452

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I never really understand everyone's nostalgia for Rayman. I want to understand why people love that game so much and why it's so interesting. As a kid I've popped it in at a friends house multiple times. I'd also play games like Crash Bandicoot, Gex and other polygonal PS1 favorites ( not that Gex is a favorite... ) But every time Rayman came about, nothing ever excited me to play it. It looked weird, the main character looked weird and so I was put off. I remember playing the game and wondering why everything was so dull and bland colored. I had also died plenty in the game and never really got the hang of it. I should mention that I'm talking about the 2D version of the game. It's the only one I've played. So for all of you huge Rayman fans out there. Why do you like the game and what makes you guys come back for more?

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I have like no nostalgia at all for Rayman 1. It was the second game that I really have fond memories of, back on the good ol Dreamcast.

The new Rayman games are phenomenal though. Even if you didn't like the original I'd still recommend you play them.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I can't say I have much nostalgia for Rayman 1. I played it relatively recently and it didn't really jive with me; then again, neither did Rayman Origins.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I can't say I have much nostalgia for Rayman 1. I played it relatively recently and it didn't really jive with me; then again, neither did Rayman Origins.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first Rayman game was very colorful and had great art and music. You probably played something else.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It was awesome, great gameplay, it looked cool.

Personally I love Rayman and have played all the main games in the series (and I'm very excited for Legends). I grew up with the games and loved everything about them, even when it got pretty hard, I don't think I actually finished the main game in the first Rayman, something to go back to I guess.

I think it just didn't click with you, like it did with me. You found it weird and off-putting, while I found it funny, charming and entertaining.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Say what? The first Rayman has one of the most colorful and interesting designs of that era. It looks weird and magical while still being completely intuitive.

Now if we talk about the 3D Raymans, then I have no clue. The love for those games are beyond me.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

I thought the first game was pretty good and I enjoyed it a lot, but didn't really become invested in the series. It was neat once, for it's time certainly, but I never felt like playing any of the other games that came after (or the more modern ones for that matter). In hindsight, it was the visual style and music which really made the original game, but as things evolved it really wasn't such a huge draw anymore.

kahl452

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't looked at any screen shots of Rayman 1, but i remember lots of brown, yellow and purple. I guess that's why I saw it as drab. Since tuning in to GB back in 2010 I feel like Rayman Legends has been on the verge of coming out forever. Maybe i'll pick it up or even play the old ones on an emulator or something. I really don't remember the music at all. Thanks for all the replies guys, really appreciate it.