Nvidia GPU Fan speed control

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By warxsnake

Need a recommendation on a fan speed controller for nvidia gfx card. 
My card is defective in the sense that my fan speeds regulate and adjust way too slowly to temperature, thus my card overheats a lot for no reason. By default my fan speed would be set to 40% at idle, and it will slowly augment based on the temperature, but at way too slow a percentage (say 50% fan speed at 80C, which is a joke). 

So I've been manually setting my fan speeds recently with evga Precision tool, i set my fan speed to 55% on idle, and when I play games I set the fan speed to 85% before playing. This means that my idle GPU temp is around 30-40 and my work temp would be 50-60, no where near threshold temps. With this, my card works perfectly, and everything is super smooth. 

However I'm looking for an automated solution, a simple guideline that would tell a script/program to set fan speed according to temperature, as in:
50%  fan speed from 0C -> 40C
70% fan speed from 41C -> 60C
95% fan speed from 61C -> 9999C (i dont care about fan noise)

Rivatuner does exactly what I listed above, but in a retarded twist, you have to keep its giant hardware monitor window open all the time so that it plays with the fan speeds, otherwise if that window is closed rivatuner doesnt do anything. 

No Caption Provided

Ugly, huh? 

So yeah basically is there a systray/ hideable application that does what rivatuner does? Other apps I've checked are Speedfan which reports all kinds of fans in my comp except for the GPU fan which is cant detect for some reason... 

thanks!
Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Driadon

You should be able to manually set it with the nVidia Control Panel and save it accordingly. After you adjust the setting just save the profile of it and set that profile to default.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By warxsnake
@Driadon said:

" You should be able to manually set it with the nVidia Control Panel and save it accordingly. After you adjust the setting just save the profile of it and set that profile to default. "

Hmm doing some more research and I noticed that my nvidia control panel has no Performance, Networking, System Update. tabs. I only have the basic tabs whether or not I pick normal or advanced view, I also recently updated my driver. 

these are the tabs I get:

No Caption Provided

compared to a bunch of screenshots i found online:

No Caption Provided
Is that maybe because the user has an nforce motherboard i.e. added options
Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Black_Raven

Dude, press the record button on the bottom left hand corner of the hardware monitoring window, temps will then be monitored without the window needing to be open.

No Caption Provided
warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By warxsnake

K well i don't know why Nvidia Performance isn't part of the regular driver and is a seperate download but whatever, I downloaded the newest version of that, which finally gave me access to what I want, a GPU FAN/Temp ramp control, so anyone looking for an easy solution for costumized GPU fan cooling, try that out.

No Caption Provided
Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Black_Raven

I still think your better off using Riva Tuner, you can do a lot more with it, all you had to do was press the "enable background monitoring" button on the hardware monitoring window.