Oh World of Warcraft...you good game, you.

Lost_In_Gaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Lost_In_Gaming

Alright.  World of Warcraft is arguably a great game.  To me, it was an amazing game when I played it.  I started playing in October of 2006, months before the release of The Burning Crusade expansion pack.  I absolutely loved the game.  Almost too much.  My first character was a Dwarf Paladin, whom I leveled to 70 and raided A TON!  But, I loved it and I loved my guild!  It was unlike any other game I had played before.  The downside was, I played so much a nearly never saw my family outside of dinner, my morning ritual before school, and walking downstairs to get something out of the kitchen.  I started feeling bad about it, but I loved the game.  To be clear, I wasn't playing with complete strangers all the time.  I promised myself I would never play WoW unless my friends agreed to play, as well.  Lo' and behold, two of my friends (brothers), picked up the game (downloaded, actually).  So, the next thing was for me to give it a try.  As I said, I loved it.  Eventually, I had more and more of my friends playing the game, too.  It was great!  I could log on after I had done my chores, homework, etc. and there would be my friends whom I could play the game with.  Some were more into the PvP aspect of the game, some on the PvE aspect.  I defiantly leaned more on the PvE side, but when my guild wasn't raiding, I logged on to either do some PvP for fun or one of the many other things there were to do in WoW.  I guess my point that I am progressing towards, as I write this blog post, is that I loved World of Warcraft when my friends played AND before the release of The Wrath of the Lich King!  That expansion was just awful when compared to The Burning Crusade.  To defend myself, I did not do any raiding in the original WoW.  I had gotten to level 58 the day The Burning Crusade was released.  So I proceeded to the expansion content (Outlands) and got on leveling.  But, when I was able to compare the Burning Crusade to something, that being The Wrath of the Lich King, I was terribly dissapointed.  The new continent, Northrend, was just boring, bleak, and a change in the wrong direction for me, compared to Outlands.  Outlands had my favorite instanced dungeons, favorite zones to level in, and favorite raid dungeons.  Now I just hope that the next thing Blizzard has coming for WoW will be more in the direction of The Burning Crusade.  I really want to get back into playing it, but I just hate the current expansion.

Any opinions would be great to hear about World of Warcraft and its expansions. 

Thanks!
Lost_In_Gaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Lost_In_Gaming

Alright.  World of Warcraft is arguably a great game.  To me, it was an amazing game when I played it.  I started playing in October of 2006, months before the release of The Burning Crusade expansion pack.  I absolutely loved the game.  Almost too much.  My first character was a Dwarf Paladin, whom I leveled to 70 and raided A TON!  But, I loved it and I loved my guild!  It was unlike any other game I had played before.  The downside was, I played so much a nearly never saw my family outside of dinner, my morning ritual before school, and walking downstairs to get something out of the kitchen.  I started feeling bad about it, but I loved the game.  To be clear, I wasn't playing with complete strangers all the time.  I promised myself I would never play WoW unless my friends agreed to play, as well.  Lo' and behold, two of my friends (brothers), picked up the game (downloaded, actually).  So, the next thing was for me to give it a try.  As I said, I loved it.  Eventually, I had more and more of my friends playing the game, too.  It was great!  I could log on after I had done my chores, homework, etc. and there would be my friends whom I could play the game with.  Some were more into the PvP aspect of the game, some on the PvE aspect.  I defiantly leaned more on the PvE side, but when my guild wasn't raiding, I logged on to either do some PvP for fun or one of the many other things there were to do in WoW.  I guess my point that I am progressing towards, as I write this blog post, is that I loved World of Warcraft when my friends played AND before the release of The Wrath of the Lich King!  That expansion was just awful when compared to The Burning Crusade.  To defend myself, I did not do any raiding in the original WoW.  I had gotten to level 58 the day The Burning Crusade was released.  So I proceeded to the expansion content (Outlands) and got on leveling.  But, when I was able to compare the Burning Crusade to something, that being The Wrath of the Lich King, I was terribly dissapointed.  The new continent, Northrend, was just boring, bleak, and a change in the wrong direction for me, compared to Outlands.  Outlands had my favorite instanced dungeons, favorite zones to level in, and favorite raid dungeons.  Now I just hope that the next thing Blizzard has coming for WoW will be more in the direction of The Burning Crusade.  I really want to get back into playing it, but I just hate the current expansion.

Any opinions would be great to hear about World of Warcraft and its expansions. 

Thanks!
JediMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JediMaster

Wow, I am really surprised, you being a professed WoW addict, that you don't like the Lich King. The greatest problem with the Lich King, as far as I am concerned, is that the content was rushed and put onto shelves before it was truly "ready." However, patch after patch has fixed this issue, ensuring that content in the Lich King is fleshed out and provides players at the highest levels new challenges. The Argent Tournament and Ulduar are probably two of the most incredible additions to the Warcraft franchise and both of them are a result of the Lich King. How long has it been since you played?

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By flaminghobo

I enjoyed WoW for a couple of years, but it became stale after a while for me.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RsistncE

It was garbage then and is still garbage now.

Note: I hate WoW with a passion. Shittiest shitty shite EVER.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By flaminghobo
RsistncE said:
It was garbage then and is still garbage now.Note: I hate WoW with a passion. Shittiest shitty shite EVER. [more]
Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By PureRok
FlamingHobo said:
RsistncE said: It was garbage then and is still garbage now.Note: I hate WoW with a passion. Shittiest shitty shite ... [more]
Who kisses their mother besides an incestuous cur?
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By flaminghobo
PureRok said:
FlamingHobo said: RsistncE said: It was garbage then and is still garbage now.Note: I hate WoW with a passion. Shittiest ... [more]
Are you following me mate? ;)
MasterTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By MasterTom

could we be less on topic? talking about kissing mothers and all?

aaaaaaanyway...
I do like WotLK... being the casual gamer that I am... it's tons of goodness for me.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187
@JediMaster: I don't think the content for WotLK was RUSHED.  I think it was WEAK!  I mean, 20 minutes to run a Heroic 5-man is a JOKE!  25 man raids done in less than 3 hours?  FUCK THAT!  I remember in Vanilla WoW when it took a month or two before you heard about a guild clearing AQ40 or Naxx!!!  Hell, I remember that even once you hit 70 in BC and took a 40-man into Naxx, the raid was still tougher than nails!!!

They pussied out and made the game far too casual, with no reason for the hardcores to continue slamming hours into the game.  That's why I don't play anymore.  I'm def capped, hit capped, and close enough to expertise capped that I could run any raid.  Thing is...I don't care about the raid content anymore.  The PvP is broken as fuck, given that resilience STILL isn't worth shit, even after all these patches and all this time.

Frankly, LK DID break the fuck out of WoW, the same way I still feel that Frozen Throne broke Reign of Chaos.  Oh well, though.  Fanboys will have their Arthas...
Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#10  Edited By Forcen

I like WOTLK, lots more fun quests, improved graphics, Wintergrasp. All the content when leveling up feels more solid, more condensed.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#11  Edited By Vinchenzo

Warcraft 3 > WoW

I didn't bother with Wrath of the Lich King. I could not bear them destroying my favorite video game lore. Plus the game got way too casual that it also alienated the hardcore players. Which led to no incentive. They destroyed their own game. But who could really say that with millions of players. Well I will.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jakob187
@Forcen: Wintergrasp causes a server-wide lag-fest.  It's the single worst idea ever.  It amazes me how Warhammer Online, with its constant RvR play and server-wide city raids, can hold more stable servers than WoW can.  Better quests?  Can't say that they are.  Maybe more involved quests, but they put so many damn quests into the game that it's retardedly easy to level to 80.  I remember how hard it was to hit 60, and how proud you were when you finally got there.  Improved graphics?!  Maybe improved shaders and they added a few lines in the "textures"...but regardless, the game still looks like WoW.  They could've done FAR MORE IMPORTANT things...like fixing still-existant bugs, clipping issues, that lag-fest that Wintergrasp causes, etc.

@Vinchenzo: Personally, I have WCIII all around, but Reign of Chaos was a much better game than Frozen Throne in my eyes.  Also, WoW does tool around with the Warcraft Lore, but unless you've played it all, you won't see all the reasons why some things aren't necessarily 100% the same as the past games and such.  The game actually does have a real good story to it (especially Van Cleef...I feel bad for that dood every time I have to kill him).

In the end, I'm pretty sure that I'm done with WoW for a while until they put some challenge back into the game.  Even working towards a Proto-Drake was too easy.  I'm not that far off from a Red one for Heroic 5-mans, but I just stopped playing because it wasn't worth it for me if it was going to be that easy.
JediMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JediMaster
@jakob187: Lol. Niiiiice. I do agree with many of your points. Personally, I find it frustrating that every time I become accustomed to a play style, Blizzard releases a patch which completely screws with my game play mechanics. There's nothing quite like having to regularly adapt and then readapt to a game so you can continue to enjoy it - and it does become frustrating, time consuming, and generally irritating. 

In regards to your comments about the dumbing down of WoW though, I believe the reason Ulduar was released was precisely because other users, like you, complained that the dungeon content was far too easy. Don't get me wrong, WoW is not a perfect game, and I can certainly understand why people would put it back on the shelf and try their gaming hands at something else. But, for many people the Lich King is precisely what the doctor ordered.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RsistncE
PureRok said:
FlamingHobo said: RsistncE said: It was garbage then and is still garbage now.Note: I hate WoW with a passion. Shittiest ... [more]
Took the words right out of my filthy, filthy mouth.
Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#15  Edited By Forcen
@jakob187: regarding WG: its true what you say, but i still find it to be so damn fun. It needs a lot of performance improvements though like you say.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jakob187
@JediMaster: I can't say that I've been in Ulduar, but I haven't heard the words "Ulduar" and "hard" used in the same sentence yet at work.  Actually, I've only heard "Ulduar" and "cakewalk" in the same sentence.  Mind you, it's a longer cakewalk than other places, but seriously - the problem is that you can outgear the fights.  If you could NOT outgear the fights, like back in the 40 man days (you know, when +10 stam on a pair of boots was considered GODLY...but now you've got +160 stam on greens), it might be challenging yet again.

That's the funniest thing to me:  people always talk about how WoW has 12 million players and that it's "beating" games like Warhammer Online, Guild Wars, Vanguard, LOTRO, and others.  However, those games aren't trying to appeal to retards.  They are trying to appeal to MMO gamers, people who care about their games and want something in-depth - not a fucking cakewalk.  I mean, I don't mean this in a MEAN way, but look at this quote FROM THIS THREAD:

MasterTom said:
could we be less on topic? talking about kissing mothers and all?aaaaaaanyway...I do like WotLK... being the casual gamer that ... [more]
THERE is the problem with WoW.  CASUAL GAMERS!!!  MMOs aren't meant to be casual.  RPGs were never meant to be casual.  I blame Final Fantasy VII, because it's an easy scapegoat, but even then...I just...*UGH*.

JediMaster said:
@jakob187: Lol. Niiiiice. I do agree with many of your points. Personally, I find it frustrating that every time I become ... [more]
Jedi, let me put it this way:  my main is a Warrior, and my first alt is a Mage.  I not only agree with you on this 100%, but I point to the recent addition of Dual Spec as a prime example of evidence that this shit was pissing a LOT of people off.

What makes it worse is my brother plays a Paladin, which uses three extremely distinct classes.  Even a Dual Spec doesn't help him out.  He was burning through about 200g a day on respecs alone!!!

Updating a class is one thing.  Constantly changing around the talent trees, completely changing how a move works, and forcing certain classes to basically be certain specs (no one honestly wants a Frost mage in PvE, they almost have to be Arcane to do the right amount of damage necessary) is just fucking retarded.  This is the kind of thing that casual gamers have caused Blizzard to do.  In order to try to satisfy those guys who are mentally incapable of understanding anything more complicated than typing a text message, they have to piss off the RPG diehards that were originally in the game because it was pretty fucking spectacular.

WoW is a fancier UI for MySpace.  That's basically what I'm saying.
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#17  Edited By the8bitNacho
RsistncE said:
It was garbage then and is still garbage now.Note: I hate WoW with a passion. Shittiest shitty shite EVER. [more]
Sounds like a bias rather than an opinion.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RsistncE
Kombat said:
RsistncE said: It was garbage then and is still garbage now.Note: I hate WoW with a passion. Shittiest shitty shite ... [more]
Opinions by nature are bias...that's why it's an opinion not a fact...
Lost_In_Gaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lost_In_Gaming

Wow, so many replies lol.

Well thanks for the input from some of you.

@JediMaster I stopped playing WoW back in January '09.  My friend has told be about Ulduar, but unless it's anything like Tempest Keep or Serpentshrine Cavern (my two favorite raids) then I don't really care.  Especially since the first fight, I heard, was used with vehicles?  What? How does that show anything about your toon?  Can't a level one enter a vehicle?  Granted, they must be able to be in Ulduar.  But, seriously...what?
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ninjakiller

All MMOs are time/life vampires.  Any game where you just can't hit pause to go do shit shouldn't be played.  It should occur to you that something is shit when you're not seeing your family because you "have" to raid, or do a heroic for that piece of gear.  When in the next fucking patch the "new" piece of gear with 5 more spell hit will make the gear you got now look like shit.  I'm a former wow addict, and totally glad I quit that shit.  Now when I go on vacation, or go visit my family i'm not worried about some stupid shit like losing my raid spot, or not doing dailies.

Also TK/SSC being your favs? Are you sick in the head? 

Lost_In_Gaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lost_In_Gaming
ninjakiller said:
All MMOs are time/life vampires.  Any game where you just can't hit pause to go do shit shouldn't be played.  ... [more]
Well I didn't get to do much of BT or Sunwell, but Hyjal bored me.
Avatar image for rectum_abominae
rectum_abominae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rectum_abominae

I stopped playing because I don't enjoy raiding as a rogue anymore.  I never did, honestly, because it seems like people hold rogues to an extremely high standard.  I was a fairly casual WoW player, so I didn't necessarily care about damage meters and junk.  I mean, I try really hard to complete most of the games I buy, and I like to chase down achievements as well with multiple playthroughs.  So it's not that I don't like to "work hard" in my games.  

I feel like people are always making annoying demands and holding me to standards I'm not interested in reaching.  Yet, I want to socialize and see the sights.  I don't want to fuck up someone's raid, but I also think people get super nerdy about raids too, and people who get too wrapped up in a fake world should perhaps be made fun of so they can see the light.