Ok, this is starting to be ridiculous.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I would've wrote this in the article comment, but that was locked off, so I'm posting it here.

To Patrick Kleptek,

Your recent article about Anita Sarkeesian doesn't irk me. It's a fact, and you are reporting facts.

What irks me is that you are being selective with information. Obviously, this woman is, unfortunately, a large part of #gamergate scandal. By releasing information and writing articles in such selective fashion that is only beneficial to one side of the argument, I don't think you can escape being criticized for being biased. Granted what has happened here is unfortunate, and such misconduct shouldn't be condoned, but if you are going to cover the story, please do cover the ENTIRE story, not only parts of it.

I do not see any articles related to #gamergate, despite there being so much story to it.

Also the tone of your words in those articles don't really help either, although I do agree such events are quickly becoming tiresome.

I thought GiantBomb's policy is to stay out of #gamergate story until things settle down, so it can be discussed in civilized manner. This kind of selective journalism is nothing more than biased propaganda.

Either cover the entire story, or don't cover it at all. Cherry picking stories like this makes me question GiantBomb and YOUR integrity as journalists.

I became a supporter of Giantbomb because I sympathized with Jeff back in 2007. I really wish I do not have to question the integrity of this site, but such selective journalism is making that difficult to hold my trust in your site. Please, either start discussing about #gamergate in order to dissuade all the suspicions your readers have on gaming journalism (which you are part of), or like you said in your videos, stay out of it until it is the right time to discuss. I do prefer the former option, as GiantBomb is kind of central to the whole plot when it comes to journalistic integrity as it was created out of direct result of the first controversy of the subject back in 2007. The words from your site holds much stronger weight compared to others out there in my opinion. Remaining silent like this cannot be good for anyone. Gamers, Game Journalists, Game Developers, or Game Publishers.

I don't know. Am I being unreasonable? Am I just being one of those "misogynistic gamer" here? Or am I just a reader that is sick and tired of this controlled media censorship? Why don't you tell me?

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If GamerGate isn't about the harassment as the few reasonable GamerGaters would have us believe, then how is Patrick reporting the harassment "beneficial to one side of the argument"?

Thread locked/deleted in 3, 2...

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By impartialgecko

SHUT IT DOWN. No useful discussion here and it only took a minute for someone who calls Patrick: "Klepek" like its 2011 and he's the edgiest kid in the comments to find it. Sure sign of fruitful discussion that.

Love you mods, keep up the good work.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TruthTellah
@trianglehard said:
I don't know. Am I being unreasonable? Am I just being one of those "misogynistic gamer" here? Or am I just a reader that is sick and tired of this controlled media censorship? Why don't you tell me?

Yes, you are being unreasonable.

They spoke out in defense of women being attacked and pointed out how ridiculous a lot of this is in that Letter from the Editor. You are correct to mention how central Giant Bomb is to genuine concern over journalistic integrity in gaming, and their lack of endorsement or concern toward all of this should give you an indication of how much they think this actually has to do with journalistic integrity.

If you respect Jeff and Giant Bomb more than random accusations from Internet commenters, I think their position is worth putting a lot of weight on. Their Letter and subsequent comments in the thread about it give a rather clear picture, and I'd encourage reading through those again to better understand why they may not agree with you in this instance.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

How is calling someone by their last name edgy? Did I miss something somewhere?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is calling someone by their last name edgy? Did I miss something somewhere?

It was an odd thing that happened back when he first got hired. Folks embraced "Patrick", and then a bunch of others that disliked him referred to him as "Klepek" instead. Over the years, I've seen a lot of people be critical of "Klepek", perhaps because using his last name feels more impersonal.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Send Patrick a PM or contact him on Twitter if you want to talk. We aren't going to have this discussion again right now.