On the Verge of the Mature JRPG Stories?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By SmugDarkLoser

You know, although I liked many rpg stories this generation, it's truly more rare for a jrpg to have a story I dislike (although Last Remant met that), there really has only been one real mature story.  I'm not saying that the others are goofy or whatever, but no other truly gives off this arty expression.  They're pretty much more along the lines of "here's our universe, isn't it cool?"  It's rather rare for any game to achieve this type of story, but we're focusing on JRPGs here.

Anyway, here are the games I wanted to talk about.  Yes, I know, we truly don't have so many details to these games to say surely how good the stories will be, but if you just give it some thought, you'll probably recognize them.  

- End of Eternity
Yes, I know.  I'm writing about this game a lot despite only one gameplay video and a fair amount of screens.  But honestly, it is more than what we have on FFV13 and it has more on it than many other talked about games.   Anyway, it's pretty easy to tell about it without more.

* hint, hint.  There's symbology here, and I'm not referencing the magic system of another game by the same dev. 

What feels to be the essence?: "The fact that I am living means there is no God"
You know, thinking about it, while many games have played around with accepting (even wanting) death and spirituality, how many have dealt with the straight up belief in God?  The main character of the game is aritficially created living in a more or less artificial world--- a city built in order to protect them from the unlivable conditions of the outside, a world which has been aritficially tampered with.  Does this perhaps sound familiar with anything?  Global Warming?  Stem Cell?   Religion?  Yea, possibly.  Religion seems to be the focus, although the steampunk seems to make me want to say it'll also focus on technology beyond their control (as many serious steampunk things try to do).   Pay attention to this game.

And the next is, Final Fantasy Versus 13.   But you know, what's the point about writing it?  It's really just another remake of Romeo and Juliet, so I'll play this:

hell, they have a shakespeare quote that they consistently use, about two opposing families, etc.   Seriously, just call it Final Fantasy: Shakespeare

And as for Final Fantasy 13?  Maybe, can't tell right now.  Some FFs have, others didn't.  I'd say it could and I think it might, but to the extent, I'm not sure.  Will be a good story obviously.  Provacative?  I dunno.

Anyway, forgot if I referenced it or not, but this was the mature JRPG story that's already been done. 
*SPOILER ALERT*

*SPOILER ALERT* (lost odyssey, possiblity the only game to use children appropriately?  Apparently so).
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

You know, although I liked many rpg stories this generation, it's truly more rare for a jrpg to have a story I dislike (although Last Remant met that), there really has only been one real mature story.  I'm not saying that the others are goofy or whatever, but no other truly gives off this arty expression.  They're pretty much more along the lines of "here's our universe, isn't it cool?"  It's rather rare for any game to achieve this type of story, but we're focusing on JRPGs here.

Anyway, here are the games I wanted to talk about.  Yes, I know, we truly don't have so many details to these games to say surely how good the stories will be, but if you just give it some thought, you'll probably recognize them.  

- End of Eternity
Yes, I know.  I'm writing about this game a lot despite only one gameplay video and a fair amount of screens.  But honestly, it is more than what we have on FFV13 and it has more on it than many other talked about games.   Anyway, it's pretty easy to tell about it without more.

* hint, hint.  There's symbology here, and I'm not referencing the magic system of another game by the same dev. 

What feels to be the essence?: "The fact that I am living means there is no God"
You know, thinking about it, while many games have played around with accepting (even wanting) death and spirituality, how many have dealt with the straight up belief in God?  The main character of the game is aritficially created living in a more or less artificial world--- a city built in order to protect them from the unlivable conditions of the outside, a world which has been aritficially tampered with.  Does this perhaps sound familiar with anything?  Global Warming?  Stem Cell?   Religion?  Yea, possibly.  Religion seems to be the focus, although the steampunk seems to make me want to say it'll also focus on technology beyond their control (as many serious steampunk things try to do).   Pay attention to this game.

And the next is, Final Fantasy Versus 13.   But you know, what's the point about writing it?  It's really just another remake of Romeo and Juliet, so I'll play this:

hell, they have a shakespeare quote that they consistently use, about two opposing families, etc.   Seriously, just call it Final Fantasy: Shakespeare

And as for Final Fantasy 13?  Maybe, can't tell right now.  Some FFs have, others didn't.  I'd say it could and I think it might, but to the extent, I'm not sure.  Will be a good story obviously.  Provacative?  I dunno.

Anyway, forgot if I referenced it or not, but this was the mature JRPG story that's already been done. 
*SPOILER ALERT*

*SPOILER ALERT* (lost odyssey, possiblity the only game to use children appropriately?  Apparently so).
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By pause422

That's why for such a long time I've stated generally I dislike JRPGs entirely, besides the SMT games....I found they all had rather not very interesting stories, and definitely mostly kinda childish and similar to one another, definitely no real mature themes at all....as you say, most of them are only just to show you the "world" the game takes place in or whatever.  You've obviously never played a SMT core game if you think that dealing with God in someway is a first here. The entire theme of them is choosing your side, between Satan, Lucifer and God(Satan is God's judge in them, but an alignment will allow you to fight by his side against God due to certain events, Lucifer/Satan are not the same in them either, btw) at the core.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

nope haven't, are they blatant or subtle? 
Anyway, I didn't say JRPGs are childish.  By comparison, jrpg stories tend to be much more complex and a little more thought provaking.  There's just a rarity, as well as in every other genre (even moreso) of games that deliver a strong point of view.  And yes, it should be a point of view, not a message.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Steve_C

Seeing persona 4 in action, that's one of the most mature games i've seen, even just from the endurance run. The subject matter it covers is quite impressive, and it's not always directly in your face about it either.

In other games, i always go back to final fantasy X since i love it so much. I think there was such a depth to Spira and the universe they created, which isn't present in any of the other games.

A core aspect was the power of religion and it's abuse by the corrupt. The power to incite fear and control over the population without ever questioning it. It was very much religion vs. science with discrimination against the minority. This tied into racial predjudices too and overcoming them. I felt it was all handled really nicely.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pause422
SmugDarkLoser said:
"nope haven't, are they blatant or subtle?  Anyway, I didn't say JRPGs are childish.  By comparison, jrpg stories tend to be much more complex and a little more thought provaking.  There's just a rarity, as well as in every other genre (even moreso) of games that deliver a strong point of view.  And yes, it should be a point of view, not a message. "
I would say plenty of the messages in the games are very subtle and thought provoking...things that some people wouldn't pick up or acknowledge at all...but the alignments become fairly easy to see once you go down that path. The thing is, in the SMT universe, there is no good or evil really, thats what makes it interesting. God isn't some high being that people shower with praise...he hates plenty about humanity and their weaknesses and their problems, and has thrown them through hell time and time again. Then of course Lucifer would be on the opposite side of that, though in some aspects its seen that he may be the better choice to side with if you're gonna be thinking from a somewhat "good" perspective.( I also generally like that they take place in the real world and not just another made up fantasy world with a weird name that is the core of everything, its just the backdrop in these games and isn't made some real huge deal out of it)

That's what I like about it, and its really hard to describe much of it in a little post like this,(plus I don't exactly remember everything clearly, been a while since I've played them) but I'm sure you can get a slight idea of what I mean. You end up, until going over every little thing( I did at least) not exactly realizing the best path at all, since you yourself, and God/Satan/Lucifer are all in a way on  wrong side with no right one, to begin with. It comes down to every little thing you take away from the experience, to other things that happen for you to really get down and think what the best choice is for yourself and for how the world ends up being in the end.

Also, while I know what you mean with JRPGs tend to ( I would say in plenty of cases) 'try' to make their stories more complex, sometimes it just seems like they are trying to make things meaninful just for a little tag point because others before them have done it. Never meant to say like, every single JRPG was mostly childish, I just generally prefer more mature and thought provoking stories, and generally, most JRPGs stories are very similar to one another with things that feel rather childish to me in some way, or just characters that I can't take seriously and it ruins it.
MC_Izawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MC_Izawa

Let's not forget this heartwarming scene:

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

Bible Black.

Mature JRPG all the way...
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By maxszy

Lost Odyssey is truly great. That time in the game was one of the hardest I've ever gone through. You're right, it really was mature. I would also say though that.. do not forget the dream stories! Sure they were text stories and not directly in the story in Lost Odyssey. As you can skip them. They were however, truly mature and epic in scope. They were so, so well written and definitely had strong mature undertones. (Anyone remember the soldier with the black heart?) They may have been really rough, but they were so good. Not the most uplifting that's for sure.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pause422

I've never seen that before...wow, that is great.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By zitosilva

I do agree that not many games try to take on a mature story. But, at least, many of them have tried to tackle their own stories (in all their absurdity and crazyness) in a mature way. Games like Shadow Hearts, for instace (only the first two though).

Now, thought provoking, that's a little harder. I wouldn't say that's rare for games to talk about gods and religion. It's just hard for them to do so in a mature way. I mean, we've all killed god (or some form of it) in numerous games. BoF 3, FF IX, Xenosaga, Grandia II etc. But it never feels like it's some grand task thought to be impossible by our party, or what effect this could have onto others etc. That would be a pretty hard thing to do, but I do believe we'll eventually see it.

And, by all means, do try out one of the Persona games. P4 would be my greatest recomendation, but you can't go wrong with P3 as well.

I can't say I was impressed with End of Eternity trailer. there wasn't really anything that stood out to me. Maybe when more is shown...
And hey, a Final Fantasy with Shakespeare quotes? It's mixing two of the best things in the same package! Collor me interested!

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EvilTwin

You might want to fix that spoiler for Lost Odyssey.  By the time I read "spoiler alert" I already saw "Lost Odyssey Lirum's Death".  I'm not really that upset about it, but someone else might be.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zitosilva
EvilTwin said:
"You might want to fix that spoiler for Lost Odyssey.  By the time I read "spoiler alert" I already saw "Lost Odyssey Lirum's Death".  I'm not really that upset about it, but someone else might be."
Funny how I was able to see the "spoiler" alert before seeing the video, but read it in your quote...
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13  Edited By Symphony

"hell, they have a shakespeare quote that they consistently use, about two opposing families, etc.   Seriously, just call it Final Fantasy: Shakespeare"

Yay for replying to an old blog post but this totally caught my attention -- They already used that premise in a lil game called "Final Fantasy Tactics" ;P

Anyways, I agree tha Lost Odyssey had the mature JRPG story going for it, though unfortunately feel through a few plotholes and was inconsistent at times (eg. "We're immortal... but this time I'm not so sure..." Wait, what happened that makes you not so sure you'll live this time? Did I miss something? or Mack just being completely suicidal throughout the game and no one sitting him down and saying "Listen Mack, your mom is gone. Stop running off into haunted forests and hijacking trains to try and see her").

Those sorta things aside though, it felt mature and tailored for an adult audience and did a great job. I'm definitely looking forward to more JRPGs that tailor towards an audience of our age -- the ones who were kids when they made FF1 but are all grown up now.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yep, inspiration from great works of literature is nothing new at all. FFT and Vagrant Story were clearly inspired by such. I don't see anything more mature about today's JRPGs than in the 90s or earlier. Only flashier graphics for the cut scenes. FFT had many mature themes despite having cutesy sprites for the characters. I loved the in-engine cut scenes in that game, hah. Backstabbing sons, poisoned kings, conspiracies and betrayals, politics and cults, it had it all. One of my favorite stories in any game genre, despite the initial botched translation I endured.

Random video, not some major plot point. Pretty average in fact, but I wasn't gonna search through the whole archive for a good one...

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cc23574

Great read! But mature stories in JRPG's have been around for like, ever. Think FFVI that had a very mature story. The only thing they did for this gen is update the grahpics.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Hailinel
@Al3xand3r said:
" Yep, inspiration from great works of literature is nothing new at all. FFT and Vagrant Story were clearly inspired by such. I don't see anything more mature about today's JRPGs than in the 90s or earlier. Only flashier graphics for the cut scenes. FFT had many mature themes despite having cutesy sprites for the characters. I loved the in-engine cut scenes in that game, hah. Backstabbing sons, poisoned kings, conspiracies and betrayals, politics and cults, it had it all. One of my favorite stories in any game genre, despite the initial botched translation I endured. "
Even before Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy VI introduced me to a lot of mature themes in RPGs.  Sociopathy, mass murder, suicide, teen pregnancy, coping with the death of loved ones, there were a lot of topics that the game covered to one extent or another.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Al3xand3r

It was just an example, I didn't say it was the first.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#18  Edited By Hailinel
@Al3xand3r: I didn't mean to insinuate you were wrong in any way.  Just giving the example of one of my first experiences with more mature stories in RPGs.