Opinion Plz: TV vs. Monitor

KaramonD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KaramonD

So before I unhook and lug this tv across the house I wanted an opinion. I'm currently using a 21 inch 2009 LCD hd monitor for pc games but I'm thinking of using my daughters 32 inch dynex LCD tv instead. The problem is It's only 720p. What do you people think? Size or quality?

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By rentfn

I would keep the Monitor. I can't go back to a lower resolution after using a computer monitor for so long.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By Deranged

Not sure how it would differentiate on a PC, but I'd stick with quality.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Toxeia

Are you the kind of person that notices the difference between 720 and 1080? I can't, so I'd use the 32 assuming all other things equal. Knowing that Dynex is the value-brand for Best Buy though, I question the quality of the set.

Also, why would you steal your daughter's television?! How will she watch the Biebs on stage now? Unless it's a secret that you've bought her tickets to a concert.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SomeJerk

Even if they were both 1080p the monitor would be the best choice.

(And 1080p CRT with DVI and good refresh rates would be the greatest thing until triple-digit 4K monitors for PC gaming.)

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AlexW00d

Monitor over TV always.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TyCobb

@Toxeia said:

Are you the kind of person that notices the difference between 720 and 1080? I can't, so I'd use the 32 assuming all other things equal. Knowing that Dynex is the value-brand for Best Buy though, I question the quality of the set.

I would think everyone would notice the difference going from a 21" 1080 and a 32" 720. The larger size makes it very easy to tell the difference in resolution. It would be a different story it was the opposite way (32" 1080 to a 21" 720).

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ajamafalous
@Toxeia said:

Also, why would you steal your daughter's television?! How will she watch the Biebs on stage now? Unless it's a secret that you've bought her tickets to a concert.

You would easily notice the difference between 1280x720 and 1920x1080 on a PC, even just in using Windows.

So, yeah OP. Monitor, no question.
HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HaltIamReptar

@Toxeia said:

TV to TV, the difference can be hard to notice. But that's not what he's talking about.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By gamefreak9

Size can be adjusted by you sitting closer or father. So I say quality.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Justin258

Keep the monitor. I spent a year playing games in 1080p, 26" on my Xbox (I know it's actually 720p but it is upscaled, whatever) and when putting that on my brother's 720p, 32" TV, the difference in quality is nuts. I may just be supersensitive to it but duder, trust me, you want to keep the 1080p 21" monitor unless you're having serious vision problems and can't see it.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By captain_clayman

Quality all the way. 1080p makes such a huge difference.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TyCobb

@captain_clayman said:

Quality all the way. 1080p makes such a huge difference.

Not that much.... there's only a difference of 1,152,000 pixels between 1280x720 and 1920x1080 =)

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Toxeia

@ajamafalous: My eyes are broken. In game, I can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. Desktop space definitely.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ajamafalous
@Toxeia said:

@ajamafalous: My eyes are broken. In game, I can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. Desktop space definitely.

Get glasses!
John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By John1912

Personally I dont usually see much difference between 720 and 1080. Depending on the game if the text shrinks with higher resolutions I end up dropping it to 720 anyway. Id use the bigger one.

Avatar image for living4theday258
living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By living4theday258

@John1912 said:

Personally I dont usually see much difference between 720 and 1080. Depending on the game if the text shrinks with higher resolutions I end up dropping it to 720 anyway. Id use the bigger one.

this is pretty much my situation

KaramonD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KaramonD

Thanks for the food or thought. I went ahead and hooked it up and here is a slight drop in quality but not that bad. Now for the follow up. Should I just buy a hdmi splitter and dual wield the 37inch AND the monitor? There's no drop in quality on he monitor side if I run it through a splitter is there? @toxeia lol at the biebs. No she's already stolen the 52 inch Samsung for the Biebs.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Karkarov

With your options Monitor. But no one who is sane would choose a monitor of any quality over a 40+ inch LCD/LED of good quality.